Sarpagandha (Rauwolfia serpentina) Powder - Usage, Dosage and Health Benefits
About Sarpagandha (Rauwolfia Serpentina)
Sarpagandha, also known as Rauwolfia serpentina or black snakeroot is one of the very important Ayurvedic herbs. Sarpagandha has been traditionally used by Ayurveda Practitioners to help maintain healthy blood pressure level. Sarpagandha means 'smell of the snake' and it is well-known as an antidote for poisonous snake bites.
Sarpagandha has been known for its medicinal value and has several medicinal values and has several health benefits, such as; Treatment of snake and spider bites, reduces high blood pressure, suitable remedy for insomnia, aids to mental disorders, regularizes menstruation, controls dysentery, provides relief from uterine pain caused by or after miscarriage.
Chemical Composition of Sarpagandha
The dried roots of plant are source of the pharmacologically important alkaloids such as reserpine, rescinnamine, deserpidine, ajamalacine, ajmaline, neoajmalin, serpentine, a-yohimbine etc.
Vernacular Names / Synonyms
- Latin name: Rauwolfia serpentina
- Sanskrit: Nakuli, Chandrika, Chandramarah, Ahibhuka, Ahilata, Ahimardani, Bhadra, Bhujangakshi, Chandrasura, Chandrika, Charmahantri, Gandhanakuli, Ishwari, Karavi, Mahaahigandha, Mahasugandha, Nagagandha, Nagasugandha, Nakuladhya, Nakuleshta, Nakuli, Nandani, Patalaganda, Pashumahanakarika, Phanihantri, Raktapatrika, Sarpagandha, Sarpakshi, Sarpangi, Sarvagandha, Sugandha, Surasa, Surpadini, Suvaha, Vasara, Vasupushpa, Vishamardani, Vishamardanika,Vishanashini
- English: Rauvolfia Root, Serpentine or Serpentina Root
- Gujrati: Amelpodee
- Hindi: Chhotaa Chaand, Dhavalbaruaa, Nai, Nakulikanda
- Kannada: Sutranaabhu, Sutranbhi
- Bengali: Chaandar, Chhoto Chadar, Chhoto Chand, Chandra, Sarpagandha
- Malayalam: Amalpori
- Marathi: Adkai, Chandra
- Oriya: Dhanbarua, Sanochado
- Tamil: Sarppaganti, Chivan amelpodi
- Telugu: Sarpagandhi, Patalagandhi
- Mandi: Do-grek-mi
- Khumi: Mahaga
- Urdu: Asrel
- Trade name: Rauwolfia, Sarpagandha
Sarpagandha is pungent in both the initial and post-digestive tastes (Rasa and Vipaka) and gives relief in Vata and Kapha and increases pitta. It has property of digestion, vomiting and purging, and gives feeling of lightness. It is considered bad for sperms and fetus.
Ayurvedic Properties and Action of Sarpagandha
In Ayurveda, Sarpagandha consists of dried root of Rauwolfia serpentina (Linn.) Benth. ex Kurz.
- Rasa (taste on tongue): Katu (Pungent), Tikta (Bitter), Amla (Sour)
- Guna (Pharmacological Action): Laghu (Light), Ruksha (Dry),
- Virya (Action): Ushna (Heating)
- Vipaka (transformed state after digestion): Katu (Pungent)
- Srotas: Mental, nervous, circulatory and reproductive
It is a Katu Vipak herb. Vipak refers to post-digestive (effect after digestion / cooking of Rasa) effect of tastes after its mixing with digestive juices. Katu Viapk herbs / foods are pungent after digestion. It increases dryness in body. Such foods reduce fertility and Kapha. Katu vipaak has catabolic effect on body.
Karma / Action
- Deepana: Promotes appetite but do not aid in digesting undigested food
- Pachan: Assists in digesting undigested food, but do not increase the appetite
- Ruchikarak: Improves taste
- Kapha-Vata har: pacifies Kapha-Vata humors
- Vishaghna: Poison-destroying
- Nidraprad: Sleep inducing
- Kamavasadaka: Depresses desire (anti-aphrodisiac)
- Hridyavasadaka: cardio-depressant
Sarpagandha is used in Ayurveda for Shoola (pain), Anidra (insomnia), Apasmara (epilepsy), Bhut Badha (influence of evil spirits), psychotic disorder, Bhrama (hallucination), Jwar (fever), Krimiroga (intestinal parasites), Unmad (insanity), Yoni shoola (pain in vagina), Raktavikar (diseases of blood), Manas Roga (mental disorder), and Vrana.
Medicinal Properties of Sarpagandha
- Anti-androgenic: Blocks the action of androgens (male sex hormones)
- Antiarrhythmic: Treats abnormal heart rhythms resulting from irregular electrical activity of the heart.
- Antifertility: Reduces fertility.
- Antipsychotic: Manages psychosis.
- Cardio-depressant: Decreases heart rate and contractility.
- CNS Depressant: Depresses, or slows, the sympathetic impulses of the central nervous system (respiratory rate, heart rate).
- Expectorant: Promotes the ejection of mucus
- Hypnotic: Sleep-inducing.
- Hypotensive: Lowers blood pressure
- Hypothyroid: Lowers thyroid.
- Narcotic: Affecting mood or behavior.
- Sedative: Causes depression of the central nervous system, which reduces mental activity.
- Teratogenic: Causing congenital anomalies or birth defects.
- Tranquilizer: Promotes tranquility.
Health Benefits of Sarpagandha
- This is the main herb for high blood pressure.
- It dilates the blood vessels and reduces blood pressure.
- It reduces Vata and gives relief in insomnia and agitation.
- It is sedating and tranquillizing.
- It is Brain tonic and given in combination with other brain nourishing herbs.
- It gives relief in pain and colic.
- It is an exceptionally powerful herb.
Side Effects of Sarpagandha
- It is hot in potency and has warming effect on body.
- It can cause deformities in developing baby, if taken during pregnancy.
- It can cause serious depression, tiredness and nasal congestion.
- It may induce peptic ulceration.
- It may aggravate allergic disorders.
- Wrong dose can cause hypotension and lead to giddiness and sleepiness.
- It can cause fluid retention.
- It may increase salivation, nausea, vomiting and diarrhea.
- Overdose may cause diarrhea, bradycardia and drowsiness.
- Prolonged use can cause sterility.
Medicinal Uses of Sarpagandha Powder
- Sarpagandha has affinity for heart. It has vasodilator properties and causes dropping of blood pressure. Its main indication is mild to moderate hypertension.
- Sarpgandha formulations and reserpine are used in the management of essential hypertension and in certain neuropsychiatric disorders. For Hypertension, Heart diseases, Insomnia, Epilepsy, the root powder is taken in dose of half gram, twice a day.
- Another important therapeutic use of the roots of Sarpagandha is in psychotic disorders such as delusions, hallucinations, schizophrenia, paranoia or disordered thought. Sarpagandha is sedative, narcotic and tranquilizing. The sedative and tranquillizing properties of the drug are thought to be related to depletion of catecholamine and serotonin from the brain.
- It is used to get relief from various central nervous system disorders, anxiety states and excitement, maniacal behavior associated with psychosis, schizophrenia, insanity, insomnia, fits and epilepsy.
- For all mental problems, one part Sarpgandha, three parts of Brahmi and two parts of Shankhpushpi are mixed to form a power. This powder is taken in dose of 1-3 grams, thrice a day. Or equal amount of Sarpgandha, Brahmi and Sankhpushpi are mixed and taken in dose of 250 mg thrice day.
- For migraine, it is given in dose of 50mg to 100mg.
- For fits, the root paste is taken in dose of 5 grams twice a day with water for one month.
- The decoction of the roots is given to increase uterine contraction for expulsion of fetus in difficult cases.
- It helps to get rid of intestinal parasite.
- The root paste is applied topically to treat eczema (atopic dermatitis). Decoctions of the leaves is applied externally on scabies, ulcers and injuries.
- For arthritis, the roots of Sarpgandha and chitrak are boiled in mustard oil. This oil is used for massaging the aching parts.
The general dosage of Rauvolfia Serpentina Root Powder (Sarpagandha Churna) is as follows:-
- Children - 100 mg to 300 mg
- Adults - 200mg to 600mg
- Maximum possible dose - 2 grams per day (in divided dosage) twice or thrice day with Cow's milk, Rose distillate (Gulab arka), or water after meals.
- Package Type: Herbal Powder.
- Package Quantity: 100 grams Bottle.
- This product is free from chemicals, preservatives, yeast, pesticides, microbes, heavy metals, fillers, starch, raw powders etc.
Advantages of Using Sarpagandha Powder by Planet Ayurveda
Planet Ayurveda has manufactured this unique herbal formulation as per industry standards and there are several reasons which make it superior to any other similar products available in the market. They are:
- Only pure herbal powders and no other chemicals or preservatives are used in the preparation of this herbal formulation.
- For ensuring better results, only pure herbs are used.
- Planet Ayurveda offers only quality product at reasonable and competitive prices.
- Testing of the medicine is not done on animals.
Place your order now and enjoy the benefits of Planet Ayurveda's Sarpagandha Powder. Opt for other Planet Ayurveda products as well for a healthy lifestyle.