AYURVEDIC TREATMENT OF PSORIASIS
WHAT IS PSORIASIS?
Psora means itch / scale and asis means condition. Psoriasis is a noninfectious, inflammatory, autoimmune and chronic skin disease which causes hyper proliferation of skin. It is characterized by dry skin and raised, rough, red areas on the skin covered with fine silvery scales. Psoriasis mainly occurs on knees, elbows, lower back and scalp. It is caused due to the abrupt proliferation of the skin layers due to excessive division of the cell in the basic skin layer. Psoriasis affects the skin and nails. It is not life threatening but it can be painful and may cause psychological as well as emotional stress. It is often seen in people between 15 to 40 yrs. of age.
WHAT ARE THE CAUSES OF PSORIASIS?
- Hyper active immune system overreacts, causing inflammation and flaking of skin.
- Abnormality in the skin growth mechanism
- Genetic factor
- Trauma on skin like cuts, bruises or burns, some medicines or skin irritants
- Environmental factors such as sunlight, infection, emotional stress, climatic changes etc.
- Consumption of opposite foods (such as fish and milk together)
- Excessive smoking, alcohol consumption
- Mental stress or psychological trauma
WHAT ARE SYMPTOMS OF PSORIASIS?
- The symptoms of psoriasis vary from person to person.
- Raised, red patches of skin topped with loose, silvery scales, usually on the knees or elbows
- Thick, red patches or plaques and dry, silvery scales appearing on the scalp, face, elbows, knees, palms, and soles of the feet
- Dry, cracked, bleeding skin
- Joint swelling, tenderness and pain
- Thickened, pitted or ridged nails
WHAT ARE ITS TYPES?
- Plaque psoriasis - Patches of raised, reddish skin covered by silvery-white scale
- Psoriatic arthritis - It causes inflammation of the joints.
- Guttate psoriasis - Small, red spots on the skin
- Pustular psoriasis - White pustules surrounded by red skin
- Inverse psoriasis - Smooth, red lesions form in skin folds
- Erythrodermic psoriasis - widespread redness, severe itching, and pain
HOW TO DIAGNOSE PSORIASIS?
Psoriasis is diagnosed by examining the skin. Since psoriasis look like eczema and other skin diseases, a biopsy is done to determine the disease. Swollen and painful joints can be symptom of psoriatic arthritis hence a blood tests and take X-rays is done to rule out other forms of arthritis.
WHAT IS AYURVEDIC APPROACH TO PSORIASIS?
Psoriasis is considered as the vitiation of Vata and Kapha. Accumulation of toxins, consumption of opposite foods, stressed lifestyle, suppression of natural urges, excessive intake of yoghurt, black gram, sea food, sour and salted food can increase the risk of psoriasis. Alcohol, smoking and tobacco consumption acts as a catalyst. Ayurveda do emphasize on the effect of stress in the pathogenesis of psoriasis.
According to Ayurveda, Vata and Pitta doshas manifest in the skin and cause accumulation of toxins. These toxins accumulate in deep tissues like rasa (nutrient plasma), rakta (blood), mamsa (muscles) and lasika (lymphatic). These toxins cause contamination of deeper tissues, leading to Psoriasis.
Planet Ayurveda provides best combination of effective herbal remedies such as PSORA Care Pack for ayurvedic treatment of psoriasis. These herbal remedies are prepared from using best quality herbs and strictly follow the principles of Ayurveda. All these herbal remedies of Planet Ayurveda are 100 percent pure, natural and vegetarian. These are free from chemicals, additives and preservatives. These are safe to use as these are free from side effects.
Dosage / Usage
- Navkarshik Churna - 1 teaspoonful twice daily with plain water after meal.
- Radiant Skin Hair Nail Formula - 2 capsules twice daily with plain water after meal.
- Neem Capsules - 1 capsules twice daily with plain water after meal.
- Manjishtha Capsules - 2 capsules twice daily with plain water after meal.
- Pitta Balance - 1 capsules twice daily with plain water after meal.
- Jatyadi Tailam and Recumin Gel - For external use only, this Jatyadi Tailam and Recumin Gel can be mixed together and apply twice daily on the affected area after cleaning the area.
1. Navkarshik Churna
It is a purely herbal formulation without any chemical added in it. It consists of various herbs Amla, Haritaki, Bahera, Vacha, Neem, Majistha, Kutaki, Giloye and Daruharidra.
Benefits: It contains triphala which helps to remove the toxins from the body and strengthen the immune system also. It relieves the vatta dosha and removes the toxins from the body. Neem, kutaki, majistha purifies the blood and corrects the metabolism of the body. Giloye act as an immunodilator and improves immunity whereas Daruharidra acts as anti-inflammatory herb.
2. Radiant Skin Hair Nails Formula
It helps to maintain healthy skin, hair and nails. It consists of Majistha, Pit papada, Chirata, Ghritkumari.
Benefits: Majistha is popular herb for lymphatic system, it facilities the cells and remove toxins from the body. It has a rejunevative property, in treating skin disorders. Pit-papada has an anti-inflammatory and analgesic property. Chirata is balances the three doshas of the body. It also act as an anti-inflammatory, anti-viral and anti-oxidant. Ghritkumari is an adaptogen that balances the body's system, stimulating the defense and adaptive mechanism of the body. It is also known as a vulnerary, (helps to heal the wound). It also helps in rejuvenating the skin. It helps supply oxygen to the skin cells, increasing the strength and synthesis of skin tissues and improves the blood flow.
3. Neem Capsules
Neem Capsules contain neem leaves (Azadirachta indica), which are rich in fibers and carbohydrates.
Benefits: It is very effective for skin problems. It is beneficial to alleviate the disorders Pitta, Vatta and Kapha doshas. It acts as a blood purifier as well as an anti-oxidant. It boosts up the immune system also. It also act as anti-arthritic it relieves from inflammation and pain.
4. Pitta Balance
In the case of psoriasis, a compromised digestive system leads to an increase of pitta dosha into rasa dhatu. So pitta balance capsules alleviate excess of pitta in body and help in management of psoriasis.
5. Manjishtha Capsules
Manjishtha (Rubia cordifolia) is a herb that helps to pacify the vitiated Kapha and Pitta. It is mainly Pittahara. It is one of the best herb used for blood purifying and removes toxins from the body. It has ability to penetrate into body tissues where reactive toxins have accumulated. It binds with the toxins and neutralizes their damaging effect. This super herb aids in removing toxins from the blood and in cleansing the lymphatic system. It helps to boost your immunity and increases the white blood cells of immune system. Manjishtha could increase the amount of white blood cells up to 151% and it has been considered one of the advantages of taking Manjishtha, particularly if you are aiming to boost your immune function. Immune system is impaired in Psoriasis. So cap. Manjishtha is very beneficial for management of Psoriasis.
6. Jatyadi Tailam
This is a classical formulation which is composed of haridra, jati, nimba, patola, manjishtha, katu rohini, tutha, etc herbs and some metallic contents, they have penetrating property hence heals the deep-seated wounds or non-healing wounds. This oil is very beneficial in chronic psoriatic conditions. It also restores the normal color and reduced sensation of the affected area.
7. Recumin Gel
Recumin Gel is a patent product of Planet Ayurveda which has shown tremendous results in case of skin disorders. It promotes early healing of wounds, restores the normal color and texture of the skin by removing the scaly de-pigmented patches from the body. Recumin gel contains Azadirachta indica, Jasmine officinalis, Commiphora mukul, Celastrus paniculatus, Sesame indicum, Cocus nucifera, etc. Basically, the herbs in this gel have anti-bacterial action and improve skin complexion.
To buy PSORA Care Pack, please visit store.planetayurveda.com/products/psora-care-pack
RECOMMENDED DIET & LIFESTYLE
- Do not control natural urges like vomiting, urination, bowels, etc.
- Do not take cold water bath immediately after a heavy workout, traveling, a long walk, etc.
- Do not consume heavy food or foods which cause indigestion.
- Avoid eating too much of salty, sour or acidic foods
- Avoid sleeping during day time
- Say no to radish, sesame, jiggery, curds, fish and other sour foods