What are the Uses and Health Benefits of Sweet Annie (Artemisia Annua)?
Artemisia annua is a plant that has tiny yellow flowers. This plant has different names like sweet Annie, ginghao and sweet wormwood. It has a Chinese origin and was used in many traditional Chinese medicines for a long time. It possesses some flavonoids, artemisinin and essential oils. Artemisinin is a compound that many people believe to have health benefits. This herb has a sweet fragrance, producing phenolic compounds in large numbers. That's the reason why it is used to make many remedies that cure a number of diseases.
How to Sow Sweet Annie?
Generally, its seeds are sown in May and be patient to its germination & growth, sometimes it takes a month for its first leave to sprout, but once it does grow up, it keeps sowing itself. You can reap in its benefits for many years. When you sow its seeds in the fields or garden, keep a distance of 3 to 4 feet, this will make it grow fully well and its branches will also sprout out quite nicely. Your neighbors might warn you that you have missed pulling out some wild shrub, but better ask them to touch the foliage of these plants and smell its sweet fragrance. 'Neighbors envy, owner's pride', this line suits well for the herb of sweet Annie.
Harvest of this herb has to be done in late September when it ripens and becomes yellowish green and can turn golden brown due to its exposure to the Sun. If cut early, its quality will be poor.
Can it Cure Malaria?
Malaria is a disease that breaks out in all the developing nations, particularly in India, every year during the rainy season. A parasite that is carried by female Anopheles mosquito causes this sickness. Many people believe that artemisinin finishes this parasite. Sweet Annie's leaves are dried to make many herbal remedies that cure malaria. Even the World Health Organization (WHO) encourages pharmacist people to make remedies that have artemisinin and some other compounds.
The remedies that are made to fight malaria usually have another compound mixed with artemisinin, which is Coartem. Generally, people use these medications in nations where malaria is widespread. But the doctors are more concerned about that artemisinin might become resistant, where malaria is severe. But still, then these remedies have proved their worth.
Can Sweet Annie Cure Cancer?
Research is still going on to know if sweet Annie is capable of curing cancer patients. They are searching for its effect on cancer cells. Artemisinin is able to tackle the cancer of the types of:
It stops the buildup of ovarian cancer cells and is able to tackle colorectal cancer. Artemisinin compound has almost negligible side effects and is considered safer than the other various types of cancer treatments.
What are other Conditions that are Cured by Sweet Annie?
- Many people believe that sweet Annie can help in treating hemorrhoids as traditionally it was used to treat hemorrhoids as it helps in destroying the bacteria of any kind. It is used to eradicate all the virus and fungus that enters our body and might create diseases like arthritis (joint pain), diarrhea, colds, boils, indigestion, and constipation.
- Sweet Annie's ingredient compound artemisinin has anti-viral and anti-fungus properties, so it keeps the infections of many diseases ay bay like influenza, herpes, hepatitis B and C. It also protects the body from various viral infections.
- Sweet Annie is mostly used to treat the persons who get infected and fall sick with dysentery and tuberculosis. The sickness that is caused by any parasite or mites or any fungal infections like common cold is also cured. It can also be used for stomach disorders, yellowed skin (jaundice), fever, psoriasis and many immune failures. It enhances the appetite, makes blood vessels healthier, eradicate gallbladder disturbances, menstrual pains and joint pains.
- AIDS patients use sweet Annie to slow down the process that proves fatal ultimately, a lung infection called pneumocystis pneumonia (PCP), which is caused by a fungus that is butchered by artemisinin.
- Sweet Annie can be applied directly on the texture of skin to safeguard against many fungus and bacteria, arthritis (joint pain), to erase scars, to heal bruises, to soothe nerve pain and sprains.
- Artemisinin also has anti-inflammatory properties that helps in healing various inflammatory and autoimmune situations, like as it help in curing the symptoms of multiple sclerosis. Research is still going on what other benefits doe's sweet Annie can provide us.