What are the Health Benefits and Uses of Wild Yam?
What is Wild Yam?
Wild yam is the plant which contains diosgenin. The root and the bulb of the tree is used to collect the extract. There are 600 spices and only 12 spices out of which are edible. Few of the other spices are bitter by taste and are grown specially for making steroids. It is cultivated throughout the world in tropical and warm temperature region and the areas where it is cultivated are parts of Africa, Asia, and Oceania. The leaves of the plant are spirally arranged, mostly broad heart - shaped. Flowers of the plant are greenish-yellow in color and have six petals.
What is Classification of Wild Yam?
- Kingdom - Plantae
- Clade - Angiosperms
- Clade - Monocots
- Order - Dioscoreales
- Family - Dioscoreaceae
- Genus - Dioscorea
- Species - Dioscorea villosa
What are the other names of the Herb?
- Hindi name - Suran, Jamikand, Surankand, Suran kand, jangali ratalu
- English name - Elephant foot yam, Elephant yam, Stanley s water- tub, konjac
- Gujarati name - Suran
- Marathi name - Suran
- Kannada name - Suvarnagadde
- Malayalam name - Chena
- Tamil name - Karyani kilamku, Chenaikkirangu
- Telgu name - Kandagadde
What are the Medicinal Properties?
- Rasa (Taste) - Katu (Pungent), Kashaya (Astringent)
- Guna (Qualities) - Laghu ( light), Ruksha (Dry), Teekshna (Pungent)
- Vipaka (end result of digested food) - Katu (Under goes Pungent taste after digestion)
- Veerya (potency) - ushna (Hot)
- It balances and reduces the kapha and vata dosha.
Is Wild Yam Safe?
Yes it is safe and is very commonly ate as vegetable in India. As per Ayurvedic medicine the herb is useful in treatment of many disease as per its medicinal values.
Is Wild Yam good for Menopause?
Yes it beneficial as it balances the hormones especially the kapha dosha which gets aggravated during menopause. As per Ayurveda the medicinal property of Wild yam is Guna (Qualities) - Laghu( light), Ruksha (Dry), Teekshna (Pungent) due to which it is beneficial is menopause.
How is Wild Yam a Detoxifier?
The high fiber in elephant foot yam works as a detoxifier in the liver. Wild yam is has hepatoprotective activity which makes it popular and beneficial. The herb is helpful in cleaning the toxins from the internal organs including intestine and stomach and making them free from pathogens.
How is Wild Yam an Immunity Booster?
The fiber in the wild yam are great supplements for probiotics. As it is a detoxifier and cleanses the toxins and pathogens out of the body and builds up bacteria which helpful in improving the immunity. Wild yam has antibacterial property which helps in fighting against the infections.
How does Wild Yam Prevent Cancer?
The antioxidants property present in the herb is very effective in preventing the development of cancerous cells. It also improves the immune system to fight with cancer formation cells in the body.
How does Wild Yam helpful in Lowering the Cholesterol?
Wild yam herb is very effective in lowering down the levels of bad cholesterol in the body. The Omega-3-fatty acids present in the herb increases the levels of good cholesterol and reduces the levels of low-density lipoproteins and very low-density lipoproteins.
Is Wild Yam good for Rheumatoid Arthritis?
The medicinal property of Wild Yam Vipaka - Katu (Under goes Pungent taste after digestion) and the anti-inflammatory, antioxidant, analgesic properties of the herb helps to pacifies the Ama and reduces the stiffness, swelling and pain in the joints.
How does wild Yam Herb acts as Anti-Ageing?
As the herb has antioxidant property which is beneficial in controlling ageing factor. It also prevents the risks of cardiovascular diseases, cancer, and strokes. The herb is also rich in vitamin C which works as anti-ageing.
How does Wild Yam Balances the Estrogen?
The wild yam herb increases estrogen levels in women and maintains hormonal levels. It also helps in reducing the symptoms of the Premenstrual syndrome and menopause. It is also helpful in reducing the pain of abdominal cramps.
Is Wild Yam good for Blood Sugar?
Dioscoretine is the chemical present in Wild Yam which manages the blood sugar level.
Is Wild Yam good for Cramps and Muscular Pain?
The Wild Yam has Vipaka - Katu (Under goes pungent taste after digestion) due to which it also has the properties of anti-inflammatory, antioxidant, and analgesic pacifies the Ama and reduces the stiffness, swelling and pain in the joints which reduces the cramps and muscular pain.
How is Wild Yam useful?
- Menstrual problems
- Lungs problems
- Digestive disorders
- Urinary disorders
- Liver problems
What are Health Benefits of Wild Yam?
- The whole plant is useful for menstrual pain, hormone disorders, cramps and other this type of problems.
- It is also beneficial in insomnia, hot flashes, cramps, headaches, migraines, and vaginal dryness.
- The root is applied to arthritis pains and sickness.
- It acts as an expectorant and hence useful for cough and other lungs congestions.
- It is also useful to treat diarrhea and dysentery. The powder is taken twice a day.
- Wild yam root the diuretic and anti-inflammatory effects which makes it a good choice for urinary disorders.
- It is the best remedy for liver diseases such as jaundice etc.
- Lower downs the cholesterol levels
- Slow down the aging process
- Boost the immunity
- Prevent cancer
- Estrogen balance
What are the Side Effects of Wild Yam?
Wild yam taken in small quantity is not harmful but when taken more is dangerous. Which can cause:-
- Digestive Issues
The patient who are suffering from asthma, bronchitis, sinus infection and cold should avoid Wild yam.
Powder - 3 to 6 gm