What are the Health Benefits and Uses of Haritaki (Chebulic Myrobalan) ?
What is Haritaki?
It is a dried fruit of Terminal chebula tree. It grows across Asia in the forest of northern India sub Himalayan tracks, from Ravi to West Bengal and in the deciduous forests of Madhya Pradesh, Bihar, Assam and Maharashtra, and UP to an altitude of 1800m. Haritaki is known as “King of medicines” has its importance in Ayurveda because of its therapeutic benefits. The tree is round and crowned with branches upto 1.50 to 2.5 mtrs in diameter. The leaves of the herbal plant are ovate leaves in 10 to 20cm long. In Haritaki the fruit is hard and yellowish green in color.
Classification of Haritaki
- Kingdom: Plantae - Plants
- Subkingdom: Tracheobionta - Vascular plants
- Superdivision: Spermatophyta - Seed plants
- Division: Magnoliophyta - Flowering plants
- Class: Magnoliopsida - Dicotyledon
- Subclass: Rosidae
- Order: Myrtales
- Family: Combretaceae - Indian almond family
- Genus: Terminalia L. - tropical almond P
- Species: Terminalia chebula (Gaertn.) Retz. - myrobalan
What are the Different names of Haritaki?
- Hindi name - Harad, Harade, Harde
- English name - Chebulic Myrobalan
- Telugu name - Karakkaya
- Tamil name - Kadukkai
- Gujarathi name - Harade
- Arabian name - Haleelaz
- Farsi name - Haleel
- Kannada name - Alale kayi
What are the Medicinal Qualities?
- Rasa (taste) - Five taste except salt, Astringent dominant
- Guna (qualities) - Laghu - lightness, Rooksha - dryness
- Vipaka - Madhura - sweet taste conversion after digestion.
- Veerya - Ushna- Hot potency
- It balances the tridoshas
- If Haritaki taken with salt it balances kapha dosha.
- When taken with sugar it balances pitta dosha.
- If Haritaki taken with ghee it balances vata dosha.
What are the uses of Chebulic Myrobalan (Haritaki)?
- Abdominal disorder
- Weight loss
- Antioxidant and Antibacterial
- Diabetes and Metabolic Syndrome
- Mouth ulcer
- Lung Disorder
- Better skin and hair
What are the Ayurvedic properties of Chebulic Myrobalan (Haritaki)?
- Vranya - improves the skin complexion
- Ushna - hot by nature
- Doshaghna - detoxifier
- Medhya - improves intelligence
- Shothanut - relives inflammation
- Rasayana - anti aging, rejuvenative
- Bruhmani - nourishment to the body
- Kasahara - relief from cold and cough
- Arshahara - beneficial in piles
What are the Nutritional Value of Haritaki?
It consists of elements which are renowned to have healing properties including anticancer, antibacterial, antidiabetic and anti-oxidant. The herb is very nutritious holding essential vitamins, minerals, and proteins. It is considered to be a good source of vitamin C, manganese, selenian, potassium, iron and copper. The plant contain chemicals like - tannic acid, gallic acid, palmitic acid, stearic acid and behenic acid.
How is Haritaki helpful in Hemorrhoids?
Harad the Haritaki helps to ease the bowel movement. The herb has the anti-inflammatory property which reduces the swelling on the mass and reduces the pressure on blood veins.
Dosage Haritaki powder 1tsp twice daily after meal with plain water.
How is Haritaki helpful in Weight Loss and Detoxification?
Haritaki is considered as one of the useful herb in Ayurvedic text. Use of this herb detoxifies the toxins from the body which manages the digestive system and let it work smoothly. The herb improves absorption of the nutrients that you eat which makes you healthy. By the use of herb, it detoxifies the Ama (the sticky waste-product of digestion) from your bowels. When the Haritaki herb is taken with the combination of Amalaki and Bhibhitaki gives good result in weight loss.
Dosage : Haritaki powder 1tsp twice daily after meal with plain water.
How is Haritaki helpful in Mouth Ulcers and Lung Disorders?
Haritaki is a good detoxifier due to which it detoxifies the toxins the (Ama from the body) which manages and treats the mouth ulcers. It also has ushna (Hot) potency which pacifies the kapha and gives relief from cold, cough, and other lung disorders.
Dosage for Cough and Cold : Haritaki powder 1tsp mixed with honey twice daily after meal.
Dosage for Mouth Ulcers : Crush the dried fruit haritaki and boil in the water and use it as mouthwash.
How does Haritaki help in Skin Allergies?
Haritaki pacifies the vata dosha and removes the toxins, purifies the blood which is helpful in managing the skin and maintain the quality. The function of it helps in allergies related to skin. Apply the powder of the herb in the paste form on the affected area.
How does Haritaki Improve Heart Condition?
Haritaki is a natural appetizer and manages the cholesterol and reduces the risk of heart attack or a stroke. It purifies the blood and makes the heart muscle strong.
Dosage :- Haritaki powder 1tsp twice daily after meal with plain water.
How can Haritaki Useful in Different Diseases?
- Abhayaristham - A low alcoholic auto fermented liquid preparation useful in abdominal problems, constipation and piles.
- Chitraka Haritaki - The herbal electuary very useful in nasal allergy.
- The juice of Chebulic myrobalan is highly beneficial in the treatment of acidity and heart-bum.
- It is also useful for heart-burn.
- The herb has an effective result on chronic diarrhoea and dysentery.
- Chebulic tonic is very useful in hair problems.
- The gallic acid in Haritaki kills the E.coli the bacteria present in the intestine which prevents stomach infection, kills worms and boosts the activities of the liver and the spleen.
- 10% of Haritaki solution can be used as a mouth wash.
- It is an effective anti-oxidant and eliminates harmful free radicals from the body.
- The herb increases the strength of the heart muscles and is effective in preventing the accumulation of fat in the coronary artery.
- Hepatotoxic agent
- Antiviral agent
- Antineoplastic agents
What is Haritaki as per Ayurveda?
Haritaki is called as ‘Mother of herbs’ and the ‘King of medicines’ as per Ayurveda. This herb is considered as a destroyer of diseases and an eliminator of toxins from the body. Haritaki is also a powerful rejuvenator, which offers valuable effects to the body’s organs like colon, liver, spleen and lungs. It is also increases the energy, stamina, improves the intelligence. Haritaki balances the tridoshas.
- To be avoided by pregnant woman and lactating mothers
- Not appropriate for diabetic patients who are on medication
- One suffering with diarrhea and dehydration should avoid it.
- Fruit, Root
- Juice - 5to 10 ml
- Tonic - 5 to 10 ml
- Juice, Tonic
- Powder - 3 to 6 gm