WHAT ARE THE HEALTH BENEFITS OF ECLIPTA ALBA (BHRINGRAJ)?
What is Bhringraj?
Bhringraj is the herb which is well known in Ayurveda due to its uses and benefits. It is a medicinal plant which is used in the treatment of liver related problems, falling and greying of hair since ages. It is an annual weed which can easily grow in the moist places. It is 30-50 cm by height. The herbal plant is erect or horizontal, much branched, strigosely hirsute and often with rooting at nodes. The root of the plant is well developed and the branches arise from the main root and are 7 mm in diameter, cylindrical and greyish in color. The leaf of the herb are 2.2 - 8.5 cm long, 1.2 - 2.3 cm wide. Bhringraj herb is inborn in India and South-western America. Also found in Nepal, China, Thailand, and Brazil. It grows in the tropical parts of the country.
Classification of Bhringraj
- Kingdom Plantae - Plants
- Subkingdom - Tracheobionta - Vascular plants
- Super division - Spermatophyte - Seed plants
- Division - Magnoliophyta - Flowering plants
- Class - Magnoliopsida - Dicotyledons
- Subclass - Asteridae
- Order - Asterales
- Family - Asteraceae - Aster family
- Genus - Eclipta L. - eclipta
- Species - Eclipta prostrata
What are the Common Names of Bhringraj?
- Hindi Name - Bhangra, Bhaangaraa
- English Name - False Daisy, teling Eclipta
- Kannada name - Garagada soppu, garga
- Telgu name - Guntagalagara, kaatukaaku
- Tamil name - Karishalaanganni, Karisalankanni
- Marathi name - Maka
- Gujarati name - Bhangaro, dadhal, kalobhangro
- Punjabi Name - Bhangra
- Bengali Name - Kesuriya
- Malayalam Name - Jala Bhangara, Tekaraja
- Arabi name - Kadimulambit
What are the types of Bhringraj?
- Shweta Bhringraj (white variety)
- Peet Bhringraj (yellow variety)
- Neel Bhringraj (blue variety)
What is the Ayurvedic Concept and Medicinal Qualities of Bhringraj?
Bhringraj is described as Rasayana which means the rejuvenative tonic which nourishes all the dhatus and build the ojas in the body. It is the herb that provides strength to the body and helps to have good skin, eyes, hair and teeth. It removes the kapha / mucous, Pitta / bile dosha and detoxifies the body.
- Rasa (Taste): Tikta / Bitter, Katu (pungent)
- Guna (Characteristics): Ruksha / Dry, Teekshan / Sharp
- Virya (Potency): Ushna / Hot
- Vipaka (Post Digestive Effect): Katu / Pungent
Bhringraj herb is pungent, bitter taste, dry and light by nature due to which it balances the kapha dosha. The hot potency balances the vata. We can say the kapha and vata dosha is balanced by the herb.
What are the uses of Bhringraj?
- Skin diseases
- Itching wound
- Premature hair graying
- Scorpion stinging
- Skin disorders
- Heart Burn
How is Juice of Bhringraj Helpful in Liver Disorder?
Bhringraj has Hepato protective property, anti-inflammatory, and a good detoxifier which helps in treating various liver disorder.
The whole plant is crushed and strain the fresh juice of it and taken early morning empty stomach in a dose of 10 - 15 ml.
How is Seeds of Bhringraj Helpful in Sexual Virility?
The seeds of Bhringraj herb has aphrodisiac nature which increases the sexual vigour and sperm count. The dry 2-3 seeds are soaked in sugar water and taken twice in a day morning and evening.
How is Decoction of Bhringraj Helpful in Chronic Skin Disease?
The herb has anti-inflammatory and anti-oxidant properties by nature due to which it detoxifies the toxins like Ama from the body. The use of this herb is very beneficial in psoriasis and other skin disorder.
Procedure of making decoction:-
1 tablespoon (10gm) of herb in powder form, add 2 cups of water in it and boil till it reduces to half. Filter it and take 20-40 ml daily once or twice daily make it fresh.
How is Cough and High Blood Pressure Treated by Bhringraj?
Due to its pungent property of Bhringraj it acts like anti-hypertensive and the hot potency of it helps to serve as anti-cold and cough.
Fresh leaves juice of the herb to be taken 2 tbsp. with Mishri or honey twice in a day.
How is Throat Irritation Treated by Bhringraj?
Bhringraj is hot by potency and has anti-inflammatory property which helps to ease the pain and irritation.
Herb to be taken in powder form 2 tbsp. with Mishri or honey twice in a day.
How is Bhringraj Used in Different Diseases?
- In catarrh of children 1-2 drops of Bhringraj Swaras with honey is given which expels the cough of throat.
- Bhringraj Oil nasal drops treats headache, blurred vision.
- It increase the hair length and blackness of hair as applied to the hair.
- The drug is extensively used against jaundice.
- The herb avoids abortion and miscarriage and for uterine pain after delivery.
- Its seed is aphrodisiac.
- Eclipta is a well-known hair promoter used for making hair oils and is known as kesavardhin
- A paste of this herb mixed with sesame oil is used over skin diseases, granular swellings and as a hair dye for blackening the hair.
- Fresh leaf juice is rubbed on shaven scalp to promote hair growth.
- Leaf juice is applied over skin diseases and wounds.
- Root powder is used externally for skin diseases .The powder is taken 1teaspoonful twice a daily after meals.
- A decoction is useful for liver problem. A decoction of the herb is taken in doses of 1 teaspoon twice a day.
- The herb is used as anti-poisonous and anti-toxic.
- It is very beneficial in improving the eye sight
- Juice taken from the leaves of this herb are used in the dehydration.
- The extract from the Bhringraj leaves are also used to get relief from toothache.
- Anti-microbial properties of the herb is used to cure various infections caused by bacteria.
- A black dye obtained from this herb is used in hair dyes and for tattooing.
This herb is effective in various disorders that are mentioned below:-
- Jatharagni deepan - Herb used to stimulate digestive fire.
- Ruchivardakam - Herb used as appetizer.
- Netra hitkara - Herb good for eyes.
- Kesh ranjaka - Herb good for hair.
- Kapha-vish nashaka - Herb to destroy kapha dosha and poisons.
- Seed oil
- Whole plant
- Oil - Twice daily
- Juice - 5to 10ml
- Decoction - 5 to 10ml
- Powder - 3 to 6 gm
Oil, Juice, Decoction, Powder
- Excess of anything is bad. Always use the herbs under the supervision of physician.
- Pregnant woman to avoid this herb.