Reference - Bhaishajya Ratnavali, Rogadhikar - Hrudroga Adhikara
Arjunarishta is a fermented liquid preparation which contains self-generated alcohol. It is established as a great heart tonic. Its color is clear brown with astringent taste. It is also famous with the names of Parthadyarishtam and Partharishtam. The major ingredient of this formulation is Arjuna tvak. Tvak is the stem bark of the plant, known to have various vital phytochemicals such as triterpenes, flavones and tannins. This arishta also act as anti-cancer, anti-oxidant, anti-ulcerative, anti-anginal, hypolipidemic, anti-asthmatic, anti-diabetic and more.
|S. No.||Name||Latin Name||Part Used||Quantity|
|3.||Arjuna tvak||Terminalia arjuna||Stem bark||4.8 g|
|4.||Dhataki||Woodfordia fruticosa||Flower||960 g|
|5.||Madhuka||Madhuca indica||flower||960 g|
|6.||Mrudvika (dry grapes)||-||fruit||2.4 g|
Method of Preparation
- Take Arjuna tvak, wash, dry and powder by passing it through the 44 sieve number.
- Now mrudvika and madhuka. Wash, dry and make powder and mix with Arjuna tvak powder.
- Take water and add with formed powder, soak overnight and boil till the one fourth volume is left.
- Filtrate the liquid by using muslin cloth.
- Now add Jaggery. Mix the mixture and then filter.
- Add dhataki to the above mixture and seal the container in which it is present.
- Shift the container of mixture in the fermentation room and start the fermentation.
- After completion of fermentation, take out fermented product and filtrate through muslin paper.
- Transfer the product in an air tight container and stored at a cool place.
15 to 25 ml with its equal quantity of water, one to two times in a day usually preferable after lunch.
Cardiovascular properties of Arjunarishta help to strengthen the heart muscles. Use of this herb is quite effective to maintain the good heart health. It helps to improve blood circulation and also prevents the development of atherosclerosis or hardening of the arteries which increases the risk for a heart attack or stroke. Moreover it also helps to maintain healthy blood pressure and cholesterol levels in the body. Use of this medicine is good to enhance the immunity. It helps to increase the body's ability to fight against the infections. It is good to maintain the strength and energy in the body. In males, Arjunarishta enhances sperm production and also improves the quality of sperms. Anti-asthmatic properties of this medicine are quite good in the treatment of asthma. Expectorant properties of the Arjunarishta help in the removal of the mucous from airways. Moreover use of this medicine is good to provide the relief in the shortening of breath. In diabetes, use of this medicine is quite effective to lower down the elevated blood sugar levels.
- Low sperm count
- Heart diseases such as congestive heart failure, irregular heartbeat, mitral regurgitation, myocardial infarction, angina pectoris, ischemic cardiomyopathy, high and low blood pressure.
- Immunity weakness
- Mouth dryness
- DNA protection
- In pregnancy, use under medical supervision.
- Over dose can cause rise in temperature.