Ashoka (Saraca Asoca) - Properties, Benefits, Part Used, Dosage & Uses
Ashoka (Saraca asoca) is small evergreen tree. The Ashoka leaves are alternate, paripinnate compound, stipulate, large & spreading horizontally. This Ashoka tree has orange colored flowers with a beautiful aroma. 7-8 stamens are found in flower. Ashoka Fruits are smooth, leathery and flat pods including 6-8 seeds inside. Bark is externally dark green to greenish grey in color. It is smooth with transversely ridged & circular lenticels.
General Information Ashoka
Ashoka tree has been an integral part of Indian history. It is commonly called a tree which is important to decrease your sorrows. This tree has got great religious significance and is also worshipped by some people in parts of India.
It is primarily used for the management of female reproductive problems. Ashoka is also a general herb for management of painful conditions in the body.
The tree is very commonly found in the Indian subcontinent. The Latin name of the plant is Saraca asoca and it belongs to Fabaceae family.
Ashoka Bark is rich in tannins, flavonoids, steroids, volatile oil, glycosides, and various steroidal glycosides. Ashoka Leaves contain various carbohydrates, tannins, gallic acid and egallic acid. Ashoka Flowers are rich in saracasin, saracadin, waxy substances, proteins, carbohydrates and steroids.Ashoka Seeds contains various fatty acids like oleic, linoleic, palmitic and stearic acid.
Ashoka (Saraca asoca) is a rain-forest tree. It is native of Asia and South America. This tree is originally distributed in the central areas of Deccan plateau. It is also found in the Western Ghats of the Indian subcontinent, in the center and the Eastern Himalayas and in the hills of Khasi, Garo and Lushaj. Ashoka is common to all parts of Indian and the other countries. In India, it is easily available in West Bengal, Kerala, Maharashtra, Andhra Pradesh and Meghalaya.
- Ashoka English Name – Asoca
- Ashoka Hindi Name – Ashoka
- Ashoka Sanskrit Name – Ashoka, Hemapushpa, Tarapallava, sita-ashoka, asupal, kankeli, pindapushpa, vanjula, vishoka and vichitra.
- Kingdom - Plantae
- Order - Fabales
- Family – Fabaceae
Ayurvedic Properties of Ashoka
|Hindi / Sanskrit||English|
|Rasa||Kashaya, Tikta||Taste||Astringent, Bitter|
|Guna||Laghu, Ruksha||Physical Property||Light, Dry|
Ashoka Effects on Doshas
It balances Pitta and Kapha doshas.
|Charak Samhita||Sushrut Samhita|
Ancient Verse of Sarca asoca
According to above mentioned shalok Ashok, Hempushpa, Vajjul, Tamarpallav, Kankeli, Pindpushpa, Ghandpushp and Natas are the synonyms of this herb. This drug has astringent and bitter taste, cold potency, absorbent as used to cure wounds and ulcers of body. It is used to pacify vata dosha and used to cure tumor, thirst, burning sensation, worm infestation, emaciation, poisoning and various bleeding disorders.
According to Rajnighantu this herb is used to cure heart disorders (haridyaroga), tumors (apachi) and abdominal pain (udarshoola).
Practical Uses from Saraca asoca
- Ashoka has cooling properties. It is very useful for the body to bring down excessive heat in the organs due to fatigue or hormonal imbalance. This herb helps to regulate blood composition and stabilize blood circulation making it optimally available to all the body parts.
- Its pain relieving action can help in painful dysmenorrhea, swelling and pain at any site of the body. In females, it is very commonly used to regularize hormones and menstrual cycles. It improves the strength and stamina in young females having menstrual irregularities such as dysmenorrhea and leucorrhea.
- Many times combination of Aloe Vera and Ashoka is given to females to improve their reproductive health and blood condition. Anemia which is a very common health problem in females is also recovered with the right combination of herbs along with Ashok derivatives.
- It not only works on the uterine structures but also helps to cleanse the system. So that any kind of microbial infestation that may be causing leucorrhea and other associated infections in female reproductive organs can be checked.
- Like Arjuna, Ashoka is also a cardiac tonic that can act as a supportive therapy for people suffering from hypertension, circulatory problems, edema & congestive heart failure etc.
- Its bark has natural detoxification properties that improve skin complexion and keep the body free from toxins inside out. The natural cleansing properties can help the body to stay toxin free. When the body has a lot of toxic load free radicals are produced. These free radicals then start damaging the body cells and all signs of aging, disease and malfunctions are produced.
- For general pitta aggravated states also, Ashoka bark acts as a coolant and helps to relieve thirst, excessive burning sensation, anger, emaciation, sweating etc. These are all common signs of pitta aggravation which can be relieved with the use of Ashok bark in different ways.
- It also has some digestive properties. Common problems of digestion like bloating, flatulence, burping, colicky pain in abdomen & ascites etc. can be relieved with the use of Ashoka. It is not exactly a direct indication of the herb but it does help because all diseases have root from a malfunctioning gut and digestive system overtime.
- Uterine bleeding
- Uterine fibroids
- Abdominal pain
- Heart diseases
- Stem Bark
Stem bark is used to prepare decoction by boiling it in water which is 4 times quantity of the herb taken and cooled down before being consumed by the patient. It works best when it prepared fresh.
- Syrup – 10-15ml
- Powder – 1-3gm
- Kwatha – 15-30ml
- Flower powder – 1-3 gm
- Seed powder – 1-3 gm
Planet Ayurveda's Product which Contain this Herb as an Ingredient
Ashoka (Saraca asoca) is a wonderful and widely used ingredient in this natural supplement for female health. This herb is one that relieves the pain or grief of a woman. It helps to maintain female's overall health.
Pradrantak Churna is a complete herbal formulation to take care of female health problems. It is particularly effective in painful menstruation, pre-menstrual syndrome (PMS), irregular menses, uterine fibroids, ovarian cysts and leucorrhoea. This herbal powder is a slight modification of classical Ayurvedic formula "Pushyanug" churna. The herb Saraca indica naturally balances disturbed female hormones.
This product has its roots in Ayurveda-ancient herbal healthcare system of India. According to Ayurveda the balance of 3 energies - Vata, Pitta and Kapha (Kinetic, Thermal and Potential energy) in the body is a disease free state whereas their imbalance causes diseases. The herbs in this product act synergistically to control vitiated Vata" and "Pitta". According to Ayurveda vitiated "Vata" causes irregular painful menstruation. It disturbs "Pitta-the thermal energy". Excess "Pitta" causes heavy bleeding, hot flushes and irritability.