Biotin is known as 'beauty vitamin' because of its beneficial effects on nails, hair and skin. Biotin is the vitamin H which is the part of B complex group of vitamins. Our body needs biotin to metabolize fats, carbohydrates and amino acids. Biotin is found in various cosmetic products for hair and nails as it helps to strength the hair and nails. Biotin is also water soluble like all other vitamin B. Bacteria which are present in intestine are involved in the formation of biotin. Biotin is considered as the integral nutrient during pregnancy and plays a vital role in the normal embryonic growth.
Benefits of biotin
- Metabolism - Biotin (vitamin B7) acts as the catalyst for controlling the several metabolic reactions in the body. These reactions are responsible to provide energy in the body.
- Skin care - It offers the good health of hair and skin. It helps to rejuvenate skin complexion.
- Maintenance of tissues - It helps in the growth, repair and maintenance of muscle tissues. It supports the proper functioning of nervous system tissues.
- Weight loss – It helps to maintain the healthy body weight hence good for people who are suffering from obesity.
- Healthy heart – It supports the good health of heart. It helps to reduce the cholesterol levels in the body.
- Synthesis of components – Biotin (vitamin 7) plays an important role in synthesis of vital components which are required for the maintenance of good health of body.
- It helps to maintain the good blood sugar levels and also helps in the regulation of insulin. Thus it is good for the people who are suffering from diabetes.
Natural Sources of Biotin
Biotin is found in number of foods which may include:-
- Organ meats (liver, kidney).
- Nuts such as almonds, walnuts, peanuts and pecans.
- Nut butters.
- Egg yolk.
- Whole grains and cereals
- Wheat germ
Deficiency of biotin
Symptoms associated with biotin deficiency are given below:-
- Hair loss
- Brittle hair
- Dry skin
- Low energy levels in the body
- Chronic fatigue
- Intestine impairment
- Digestive complications
- Muscle aches
- Mood swings
- Muscle cramps
Side effects of high intake of biotin
High intake of biotin may cause the severe side effects on pregnant women. It may results in the miscarriage in women. If one is taking the biotin supplements 1st time it may results in the health issues like chest pain, itchy rashes, swelling in throat and tiredness. If any of these side effects occur then one must take medical advice.
Daily recommendations of biotin
- For 0-6 months require 5 mcg (micrograms).
- For 7-12 months requirement is 6 mcg.
- For 1-3 years requirement is 8 mcg.
- For 4-8 years requirement is 12 mcg.
- For 9-13 years requirement is 20 mcg.
- For 14 to 18 years biotin requirement is 25mcg.
- For 19 years and old requirement is 30 mcg.
- For pregnant women biotin requirement is 30mcg.
- For breastfeeding women biotin requirement is 35mcg.