Broccoli - Wealth Of Nutrients
All vegetables consist of healthful minerals, vitamins, phytochemical compounds, and dietary fiber but some of them are having exceptional and miraculous properties among one of them is Broccoli. There is such a big role of vegetables in providing nutrition to the body as well as in preventing disease. The vegetables possess vitamins with antioxidant properties such as vitamin A, C and E thus it prevents us from various chronic diseases such as cancer, diabetes, obesity, cardiovascular disease, metabolic syndrome, etc. Further in this article we are going to discuss the wonderful vegetable Broccoli, so let's discuss.
Broccoli is considered as a superfood, it contains low calorie content but is filled with a wealth of antioxidants and nutrients that usually assists many particulars of human health. This plant has flowering heads, small leaves and stalks, the flower heads are dark green in color and arranged like a tree structure that branches with a light green coloured stalk. The flower head of broccoli is rich in vitamin K & C, with minerals, phytochemicals, magnesium, potassium and sulphur in it. Whereas the stalk of broccoli is a rich source of fiber. Let's see further the health benefits of this superfood.
A 1 cup of Broccoli (91 gm) contains the following nutritional facts:
- Energy: 24.3 calories
- Water: 89%
- Carbohydrates : 6 gm
- Protein: 2.5 gm
- Fibre : 2.4 gm
- Sugar: 1.5 gm
- Fat: 0.4 gm
Above we discussed the nutritional values of broccoli, now we will discuss how these nutritional values are beneficial for our health. So let's discuss below:
As we discussed earlier in 1 cup of broccoli there are 2.3 gm of fibre which is 5-10% of the DV (daily value). These are considered as one of the healthy parts of our diet as it promotes our gut health that prevents various diseases and aids weight loss.
Rich with glucose, fructose and sucrose and a very little amount of maltose and lactose.
These are considered to be the building blocks of the body that initiates the proper maintenance and growth, one of the necessary components of our food.
Vitamins and minerals
The essential vitamins and minerals included in broccoli are vitamin C, K1, B9, potassium, calcium, sulfur, iron and manganese. The benefits included in these vitamins and minerals are antioxidants, blood clotting, promoting strength, controlling blood pressure, transportation of oxygen into the red blood cells.
Health Benefits Of Broccoli
There are wonderful benefits of Broccoli for maintaining our health that we are going to discuss below:
- Promoting Gut Health: It consists of an abundance of fibre content which promotes the peristaltic movement of the gut thus alleviating various gastric issues such as incomplete evacuation, constipation, gas, bloating, etc.
- Preventing cancerous growths: The good consumption of Enriching antioxidant properties in the broccoli helps in preventing the cancerous growth in the body.
- Eye health: Its consumption also improves eye health due to the wonderful compounds present in it such as zeaxanthin and lutein, a variety of carotenoids.
- Good for diabetic patients: The high antioxidant and high fibre content present in the broccoli aids in lowering the blood sugar levels which in turn is good for diabetic patients.
- Supports heart health: Its addition to the diet strengthens the blood vessels and the sulphur content provides an anti-inflammatory effect that helps in preventing the damage of the blood vessels. It also aids in lowering the high bad cholesterol levels due to its enriched fibre content.
- Boosting immune system: The vitamin C present in broccoli is one of the most essential nutrients that is good for maintaining the immune system functions. It prevents the accumulation of free radicals in the body that prevents the damage to the body cells.
- Initiates detoxification: Broccoli consists of phytochemicals that are good for detoxifying the body which neutralize and eliminate the contaminants in the body.
- Promotes bone health: The calcium content and vitamin K present in this superfood are the two main factors that help in promoting bone health.
- Supports the health of the brain: The antioxidants present in the broccoli are supportive for maintaining brain health by the prevention of accumulation of free radicals.
Some Healthy Broccoli Recipes
Let's review some healthy Broccoli recipes below that you must try at your home:
1. Roasted Broccoli
- Ingredients: 2 small broccoli, ½ tsp salt, ½ tsp powdered pepper, ¼ tsp powdered cloves, 3 tsp olive oil and tsp grated lemon zest.
- Recipe: Cut the broccoli into small pieces, pour oil into the open container, then add cutted broccoli into it, roast it for 10-12 mins and then sprinkle all the spices on it. Here your roasted broccoli is ready to eat.
2. Crunchy Broccoli Salad
- Ingredients: 1 kg of broccoli, ¼ kg sliced onions, ½ cup of cranberries, 3 tsp canola oil, 2 tsp brown sugar.
- Recipe: Take 1 large bowl and add cutted broccoli, onions and cranberries into it. In another small bowl add oil and brown sugar, blend it till it blends into a paste, spread it over a large bowl mixture and here the other recipe is ready.
3. Broccoli Salad
- Ingredients: 3 cups broccoli, 3 chopped medium apples, 1/4th cup of overnight soaked almonds and walnuts, ½ cup chopped onions and ½ cup sweet yoghurt.
- Recipes: Add all the ingredients in one bowl, mix it well and here the simple and healthier recipe is ready.
Broccoli is considered as the wealth of nutrients and one of the best superfoods. Vegetables are one of the important parts of our diet that helps in boosting the overall health and prevents various diseases. All vegetables consist of minerals, vitamins, phytochemical compounds and dietary fibre but some of them are having exceptional properties. In this article we discuss the Broccoli vegetable which offers a wide range of health benefits. Also simple recipes of broccoli are mentioned in the article so you must try this at home and get the fear of disease out of your mind.