Can Shatavari help in making IVF a Successful Procedure?
What is IVF?
IVF or In vitro fertilization is a procedure that involves the fertilization of an egg with the sperm outside the body. This process involves stimulating the ovary to grow follicles, monitoring the growth, collecting the eggs when they get mature, allowing the sperms to fertilize the eggs in the laboratory and implanting in the mother's uterus after 3-5 days.
In spite of improvements in medical strategies, the treatment remains unsuccessful in some patients. Therefore, a growing number of patients are looking towards alternative and complementary systems of medicine like Ayurveda. Medical science has advanced but nothing can beat our ancient medical science i.e Ayurveda.
The repeated failure of IVF procedure is very stressful for the patients as well as for the doctors but one can find solution in Ayurveda for the success in IVF procedure as there are herbs in Ayurveda that enhance the success rate of Artificial Reproductive Techniques such as IVF, IUI etc. and can also increase the chances of natural conception.
Though Ayurveda does not recommend In vitro fertilization treatment but it can support and assist healthy pregnancy and also prevents miscarriages with the use of herbs.
What is the Ayurvedic Perspective of Fertility?
According to Ayurvedic principles, reproductive health depends on the health of shukra dhatu or reproductive tissues which is formed as a result of a long chain of metabolic transformation which is based on the concept of the transformation of food into rasa (nutrient fluid), rakta (blood), mamsa (muscles), meda (fat), asthi (bone), majja (bone marrow) and then the end product is shukra dhatu (ovum in women and sperm in men).
There is a mention of various herbs in Ayurveda that increase the chances of fertility and can be taken during IVF procedure for making it a successful procedure.
One such herb is Shatavari which acts as a natural tonic for male and female reproductive organs and helps in making healthy sperm and ovum and eventually a healthy pregnancy is achieved.
What is Shatavari?
Shatavari is a beautiful plant having numerous medicinal properties. This herb is categorized as 'Rasayana' in Ayurveda. Rasayanas are those herbs that nourish and tone the whole body while reinforcing the immune system. Shatavari is commonly used as a part of the formulas to treat women's health disorders. The herbal power of this herb is due to its creamy colored thick tuberous roots. It works as an aphrodisiac for both men and women. Thus, it gives strength, vigor, vitality to the body.
- Kingdom: Plantae
- Family: Asparagaceae
- Genus: Asparagus
- Species: A. racemosus
What are the Characteristics of Shatavari?
It is a woody climber plant which grows up to 1-2 m in height. The leaves are small and like pine needles. Its flowers are white in colour and have small spikes.
Habitat: It is commonly found at low altitudes in the tropical as well as in shade climates throughout Asia, Africa and Australia.
What are the Ayurvedic Properties of Shatavari?
- Rasa (Taste): Madhura (Sweet) and Tikta (Bitter)
- Guna (Qualities): Snigdha (unctuous, oily) and Guru (heavy)
- Vipaka: Undergoes sweet taste conversion after digestion.
- Veerya (Potency): Cold
- Effect on Tridosha: Balances Vata and Pitta doshas
(Reference: Dhanwantri Nighantu, Shlok No. 323, 325)
Meaning: Shatavari is cold in potency, has bitter taste, useful in tuberculosis and blood disorders. It balances Vata and Pitta doshas, acts as an aphrodisiac, rejuvenative in nature and increases memory, undergoes sweet taste conversion after digestion, increases intelligence, good for heart, useful in hemorrhoids and diseases related to eyes and colon.
Can Shatavari help in making IVF a Successful Procedure?
- Shatavari helps in making IVF procedure successful by enhancing the quality of oocytes.
- It also reduces the stress, women are frequently exposed to physical, psychological and physiological stressors. Stress disturbs the reproductive health by generating Reactive Oxygen Species (ROS) and thereby Oxidative Stress (OS).
- The increased oxidative stress affects the quality as well as the physiology of oocytes, ovary and causes female reproductive disorders.
- To over-come stress mediated reproductive health issues, Shatavari herb is recommended in Ayurveda.
- One of the main constituents of Shatavari is steroidal saponins which are known to regulate the production of estrogen that results in better ovulation.
- It tones and gives strength to the uterus thus prepares it for pregnancy and reduces the chances of miscarriage.
- Being a galactagogue, it promotes lactation and used to increase breast milk in mothers.
- It improves the quality of eggs as well as endometrium thus prevents miscarriage and develops surrounding for implantation.
- Shatavari also improves the blood supply to the womb, reduces immuno globulin hyperactivity and corrects AMH (Anti-Mullerian Hormone) level.
Thus, to improve the quality of eggs during IVF treatment, shatavari can be taken to make IVF procedure successful as it helps in enhancing both physical and mental well-being in females and offers a hope in IVF failure.
Shatavari Capsules by Planet Ayurveda
Planet Ayurveda uses the standardized extract of the herb A.racemosus to manufacture Shatavari Capsules. These capsules are free from artificial flavours, colours or preservatives. They act as a wonderful female health tonic and work wonderfully on the mind to relieve stress. They are not habit forming and do not cause any side effects. These can be taken safely along with IVF procedure for healthy and safe pregnancy and to reduce post-delivery issues.
Dose: 1-2 capsules to be taken twice daily with plain water after taking meals.