Reference - Sarngadhara Somite Madhyam Khanda 7/ 40-49
Chandraprabha Vati is a standardized herbal tablet formulation mentioned in classical texts for numerous disorders. It prevents disorders of urinary tract, respiratory, gynecological and dermatological conditions. It helps in blood purifying, removing toxins and preventing microorganisms so it manages various skin conditions. Some believe it is a natural source of multivitamins which provides strength and immunity to the body. Overall it rejuvenates the body and reduces stress level. It also acts as a catalyst used with other medicines. So in this article we will discuss Chanderprabha vati’s composition, method of preparation, clinical significance in skin disorders and its dosage.
Chandraprabha vati is a gutika (pills/ tablet) preparation for various types of systemic disorders. The Chandraprabha vati is made of two words “chandra” and “prabha” in which ‘chandra means moon’ and ‘prabha means glow/ shine’. So that means it is useful and makes the body glowing or shining like the moon. This formulation contains 37 ingredients with the base including sugar, guggllu. According to Ayurvedic texts it proves to be beneficial in types of diabetes, urinary calculi, abdominal discomfort, leprosy like skin diseases. It is a very effective health tonic to relieve stress, fatigue and increase physical strength of the body.
According to classical texts, Chandraprabha vati is described as “sarvaroga pranashini'' which means it manages all types of diseases. It acts on all three dosha i.e. vata, pitta and kapha. The various classical indications mentioned in classics are as following-
- Mutrakrich (dysuria)
- Mutraghat (urine retention)
- Ashmari(renal calculus)
- Anaha, shula (abdominal pain, fullness)
- Granthi arbudha (tumorous growth)
- Verdi roga (hernia)
- Swas-kaas (dyspnoea, cough)
- Vicharchika (psoriasis)
- Andavridhi (enlarged scrotum)
- Pandas (Anaemia)
- Kamla (Jaundice)
- Halimaka (Chlorosis)
- Kustha, kandu (leprosy, itching)
- Arsha, bhagandra (piles, fistula)
- Plihodara (Splenomegaly)
- Danto roga (teeth disorders)
- Netra roga (ophthalmic disorders)
- Artav ruja (menstrual pain)
- Shark dosha (disorders of semen)
- Mandagni, aruchi (dyspepsia, anorexia)
Shaan Matra / 3 Grams Fine Powder Of Each Following Drug
- Chandraprabha/ karpura (Cinnamomum camphora)
- Vacha (Acorus calamus)
- Musta (Cyperus rotundus)
- Bhunimba (Andrographis paniculata)
- Amrita (Tinospora cordifolia)
- Daru/ Devdaru (Cedrus deodara)
- Haridra (Curcuma longa)
- Ativisha (Aconitum heterophyllum)
- Darvi (Berberis aristata)
- Pippali Mool (Piper longum)
- Chitraka (Plumbago zeylanica)
- Dhanyak (Coriandrum sativum)
- Triphala - Amalaki (Amblica officinalis), Haritaki (Terminalia chebula), Vibhitaki (Terminalia billerica)
- Chavya (Piper chaba)
- Vidanga (Emblica ribes)
- Gajpippali (Piper chaba)
- Vayosh - Sunthi (Zingiber officinalis), Marich (Piper nigrum), Pippali (Piper longum)
- Masklike dhatu bhasma (Purified Copper Iron Sulphate)
- Kara dway - Yava kshara (Hordeum vulgare), Sajji kshara
- Lavan tray - Saindhav (Rock salt), Vida, Sauvarchala
Karasha Matra/ 12 Grams Each Of Following Drugs
- Trivrit (Operculum terpenthum)
- Danti (Baliospermum montanum)
- Twak (Cinnamomum tamales)
- Patar (Cinnamomum zeylanicum)
- Ela (Elettaria cardamomum)
- Vanshlochan (Bambusa bamboos)
- Loha bhasma (24 grams iron ash)
48 Grams Of Following Drugs
- Sita (Sugar)
- Shilajit (Asphaltum)
- Guggulu (Commiphora mukul)
Benefits Of Ingredients
- Chandraprabha- It is very helpful in preventing various skin conditions and fungal infections such as it calms skin, reduces itching, inflammation. It moistures, soothes skin and reduces skin cracks.
- Vacha- It keeps glowing skin, blemishes free and prevents from bacterial and fungal skin infections. It also has good healing property.
- Musta- It has anti-microbial properties for treating various bacterial and viral infections. It maintains metabolic rate and assists in managing healthy skin and great inflammatory response. It also improves skin complexion.
- Bhunimba- It balances pitta dosha and keeps blood toxin free. It helps in rejuvenating skin and reduces free radicals that affect dermis of skin. It helps in managing skin pigmentation and eczema.
- Amrita- It improves the quality of skin by rejuvenation and helps in blood circulation so it makes skin clear, glowing and natural. It has anti-aging properties, clear dark spots, fine lines and boosts immunity.
- Daru/ devdaru- It manages certain skin conditions like inflammation, wrinkles, acne or any type of infection. It helps in balancing vata and kapha dosha and vents from dry skin.
- Haridra- It reduces inflammation within the body and acts as a natural detoxifier so it purifies blood. It keeps skin healthy by reducing acne, scars, depigmentation as it has skin lightening properties.
- Ativisha- It reduces skin inflammation, fat accumulation, toxins (ama) from the body. It act as immuno modulator and have antimicrobial activity so prevents from various infections.
- Darvi- It is a very potent herb for psoriasis and inflammatory conditions. It reduces bacterial growth and has antiseptic properties. It helps in preventing boils and wound infections.
- Pippali Mool- Its roots are very useful in edematous swelling and restore body structure to normal state. It promotes relaxation to body tissues, calms nerves and has a great healing effect.
- Chitraka- It is used as detoxificant, antiseptic and anti-helminthic. It helps in wound healing and prevents bacterial infections. It balances all three dosha and protects skin from harmful toxins.
- Dhanyak- It is a rich source of Vit. C so it helps to detoxify skin, exfoliates skin and reduces rashes, sunburns. It helps in deep scrub/ cleaning of skin and makes clear glowing skin.
- Amalaki- It has anti-aging properties and removes dead skin. It helps in preventing scalp fungal infections, premature greying of hairs. It acts as skin toner and removes pigmentation from the face.
- Haritaki- It makes skin healthy by removing free radicals from the body and diminishing oxidative damage. It flushes toxins from the internal layer of skin and prevents various skin infections like rashes, boils.
- Bibhitaki- It is known for its wound healing properties, prevents growth of microorganisms and reduces allergic reactions like acne, irritation, itching, etc.
- Chavya- Used to manage diseases like ascites, skin disorders and worm infestations. It reduces edematous conditions and has analgesic properties. Improves skin texture and prevents ageing.
- Vidanga- Due to its astringent and rejuvenating effect improves skin complexion, reduces hyperpigmentation and promotes wound healing. It improves blood circulation and manages eczema, leprosy.
- Gajpippali- It reduces inflammation, bacterial growth and allergic conditions like itching, redness and swelling. It balances kapha and pitta dosha.
- Shunthi- It boosts metabolism and has a skin cleansing effect. It brightens, exfoliates and moistens skin. It helps in skin nourishment and removes toxins from the body.
- Marich- It is a rich source of Vit. C and A so helps in exfoliating skin like wrinkles. It is beneficial for skin, hair and acts as an antioxidant.
- Pippali- It removes viruses, bacteria, fungi from the body and is used for healing wounds. It improves skin condition and has an anti-ageing effect.
- Makshik dhatu bhasma- It increases skin elasticity, prevents inflammation, scarring, redness and speeds up the healing process. It stabilises skin proteins in it.
- Yava kshara- It is an alkali drug beneficial for dermatological conditions. It balances vata and kapha dosha.
- Sajji kshara- It is used to reduce any lumpy growth in any part of the body. It helps in healing wounds and ulcers.
- Saindhav- It is used to enhance the glow of skin and reduce inflammation in psoriasis. It strengthens skin tissues and prevents dermatitis.
- Vida lavan- It improves skin conditions like rashes, rosacea, eczema and has an anti-inflammatory, antibacterial effect.
- Suvarchala- It acts as a cleanser for skin, unclog pores and removes dirt.
- Trivrit- It is very helpful in itching, burning sensation, redness, scaling and oozing like conditions. It has an anti-allergic and anti-microbial effect.
- Danti- It helps in wound healing as it has an antioxidant and anti-inflammatory effect. It reduces swelling, edema and skin allergies.
- Twak- It is a potent herb used for repairing damaged tissues and manages various skin infections.
- Patar- It helps in preventing dandruff, boils and different types of fungal infections.
- Ela- It heals breakouts and purifies blood so manages skin complexion, blemishes.
- Vanshlochan- The extract of this plant is used for strengthening the body and helpful in conditions pertaining to skin, hairs and nails (cosmetic concern).
- Loha bhasma (24 grams) - it is very helpful in anaemia and improves general weakness. It improves skin texture, complexion.
- Sita (Sugar) - It exfoliates skin and removes dead skin. It rejuvenates skin pores and it is rich in elastin and collagen.
- Shilajit- It has a major anti-ageing property of skin as it repairs cell damage. It nourishes skin and prevents inflammation.
- Guggulu- It improves itching, redness, skin discoloration. It is helpful in managing psoriasis, eczema like inflammatory conditions.
Clinical Significance Of Chandraprabha Vati In Skin Disorders
- According to the various textbooks, Chandraprabha vati is mentioned for different types of skin disorders such as vicharchika (psoriasis) and kustha roga, its types (leprosy disease).
- Chandraprabha vati works on all three dosha (vata, pitta and kapha) as when there is predominance of vata so it causes dry, rough, scaly skin (rukash, khara twacha).
- When there is predominance of pitta dosha it causes burning sensation, hot flushes, etc. (ushma, daha, davthu) and when there is vitiation of kapha dosha it causes itching, swelling (kandu, shoath) like symptoms.
- The cause behind kustha like skin disorders mentioned is ayurveda are as below-
- Kaleda (Putrefaction/ suppuration)
- Rakta Dushti (Impure blood)
- Krimi (Worm infestation)
- So in classics Chandraprabha vati is considered “uttam kaleda ghaan” which means best medicine to prevent from putrefaction.
- This tablet formulation also has the property of blood purifying due to the presence of some ingredients like haridra (Curcuma longa), daru haridra (Berberis aristata), swaran makshika (purified copper iron sulphate), etc.
- It also possesses krimighna property (prevent from worm infestations) due to the presence of musta (Cyperus rotundus), guduchi (Tinospora cordifolia), dhanyaka (Coriander), ativisha (Aconitum heterophyllum), trivrit (Operculenis terpenthum), vidanga (Emblica ribes) and chitraka (Plumbago Zeylanica) in its composition.
- This formulation has great properties against suppuration and worm infestation so it is very useful in various types of skin diseases associated with discharge, itching, redness, worms, etc.
- As it has anti-inflammatory properties it prevents all types of rashes, boils, acne or any marks. It reduces edematous swelling or any growth in the body.
- It has great exfoliating and cleansing properties so it helps in removing dead skin and it makes it clear, glowing. It also acts as antiseptic for dermis and prevents all infections with wound healing.
- As there is predominance of pitta in skin diseases and this tablet is of cold potency so it acts very efficiently in skin related issues.
Method Of Preparation
The steps for the preparation of Chandraprabha vati are given as following-
- Firstly collect all the drugs mentioned above and wash them properly.
- All the plant origin drugs are dried and made into fine powders.
- Now the described quantity of base drugs are taken, which are sugar and guggulu in a clean stainless steel vessel and mix them properly.
- Then the required quantity of water is added into the vessel and heated over mild flame with continuous stirring.
- Once the syrup-like consistency is formed of solution then add fine powder of drugs in small quantities.
- Stir the solution well till desirable consistency is obtained.
- Then the mass of drugs is rolled up into vati/ pills according to desired size and shape.
- At last prepared pills are dried in shade and stored in a clean airtight glass container.
The properties of Chandraprabha Vati are given as following-
- Has anti-inflammatory and anti-microbial activities.
- It acts as a blood purifier, have an allergic effect.
- Helps in oxygenation of blood.
- It acts as a muscle relaxant, removing toxins from the body.
- It has an analgesic effect and provides body strength.
- Effective in urinary, gynecological disorders.
- It also prevents respiratory and dermatological conditions.
- Increase physical strength & decrease stress, anxiety.
The various indications of Chandraprabha Vati are given as following-
- Urino genital diseases
- Calculi with dysuria
- Diabetes mellitus
- Abdominal distension, pain
- Skin allergies
- Anemia, jaundice
- Gynecological disorders of both male and females
- No such contraindications are there.
- During pregnancy and lactation guidance taken by a physician.
1-2 tablets twice a day after meals.
With lukewarm water or milk.
Tikhta (Bitter), Katu (Pungent), Madhura (Sweet).
Chandraprabha Vati is a medicated natural supplement to improve overall body function. It corrects full body metabolism and rather than working on a particular system this tablet preparation works on the entire system of the body. It is a potent anti-inflammatory and anti-oxidant to the skin. So it can be used in all the conditions mentioned above and if any severity you may consult to the physician.