Ayurvedic Treatment of Chikungunya Fever
It is a viral illness. Nowadays it is spreading very fast across the world. It is transmitted by mosquitoes to human beings which is characterized by fever, joint pain, headache and rashes. There is no relation with chicken or bird flu. The term Chikungunya refers to both virus (CHIKV) and illness or fever (CHIKF). The word Chikungunya originated from a verb in Kimakonde which means "to become controlled". There is no specific medicine available in allopathic and Ayurveda which completely eradicate the problem. In Ayurveda, there are some herbs used in management of symptoms associated with this diseased condition like Giloy (Tinospora cordifolia), Spirulina (Spirulina platensis), Ashwagandha (Withania somnifera), Sonth (Zingiber officinale) etc. Here we will discuss about common symptoms, causes and management of this disease in Ayurveda.
What is Chikungunya Fever?
It is viral fever which is caused by mosquitoes bite (alpha virus) including Aedes aegypti and Aedes albopictus. The symptoms of Chikungunya appear after 3-5 days of infection.
Clinical Features of Chikungunya fever
Commonly the signs and symptoms of disease appear after 3-5 days of infection.
The common signs and symptoms are:
- Joint pain
- Muscle pain
Causes of Chikungunya Fever
It is caused by virus called alpha virus which is carried by Aedes aegypti and Aedes albopictus, breed of mosquitoes. The primary reason of spreading this virus is stagnated water where mosquito lies and lays their eggs. It commonly occurs in monsoons.
Transmission of chikungunya virus
It is highly infectious disease which may transmit from one person to another. If mosquito bites an infected person then virus gets into its body and now when this mosquito bites healthy person then it is transferred to healthy body. The virus is active only at daytime.
Diagnosis of Chikungunya Fever
It is similar to dengue fever. Chikungunya fever is diagnosed on the basis of serological tests like ELISA (Enzyme Linked Immunosorbent Assays) for detection of antibodies like IgG and IgM and RT- PCR (Reverse Transcriptase polymerase chain reaction). These tests are used to detect the presence of virus in blood.
In ayurveda, it is known as sandhi jwara that literally means 'fever of the joints'. The symptoms of Sandhijwara and Chikungunya are very similar. There are three basic energies in the body – vata, pitta and kapha which are responsible for healthy life. Imbalance of any three energies results in health complications. Chikungunya fever is considered as vata dosha disorder. Vata is air component in our body which represents the air which we breathe and gases dissolved in blood. Aggravated vata dosha is responsible for chikungunya fever.
How Ayurveda Helps in Chikungunya Fever?
Ayurveda is ancient science of life which is helpful in management of various diseased conditions in natural and healthy way. There is no specific medicine available for this disease but Ayurveda helps to manage the symptoms associated with this disease. There are number of herbs like Giloy (Tinospora cordifolia), Spirulina (Spirulina platensis), Ashwagandha (Withania somnifera), Sonth (Zingiber officinale) etc. used in herbal formulations.
Herbal Remedies for Chikungunya Fever by Planet Ayurveda
Planet Ayurveda offers effective herbal remedies such as Giloy Capsules, Joint Aid Plus, Boswellia Curcumin, Gandhak Rasayan & Hakam Churna for ayurvedic treatment of chikungunya fever. These herbal remedies are prepared from using best quality herbs and strictly follow the principles of Ayurveda. All these herbal remedies of Planet Ayurveda are 100 percent pure, natural and vegetarian. These are free from chemicals, additives and preservatives. These are safe to use as these are free from side effects.
1. Giloy Capsules
Giloy capsules are wonderful and effective herbal formulation by planet Ayurveda which is prepared from the pure extract of herb Giloy (Tinospora cordifolia).
Giloy (Tinospora cordifolia) is also called amrita or guduchi due to its great medicinal importance. It is found in almost all the parts of country. It is effective against infectious diseases. It has anti-inflammatory and antipyretic properties. It also helps to provide relief in symptoms of chikungunya fever.
Dose - One capsule two times in a day with plain water after meals.
2. Joint Aid Plus
- Nirgundi (Vitex negundo) - It is pure natural herb which is useful in treatment of various diseases like joint pain.
- Ashwagandha (Withania somnifera) - It is helpful in relieving symptoms of various diseases like stress, rheumatism, inflammation etc.
- Shallaki (Boswellia serrate) - It has anti-inflammatory property. It has positive results for joint pains. It is good choice for osteoarthritis, joint pain, gout and rheumatoid arthritis.
- Guggul (Commiphora mukul) - It has anti-inflammatory and analgesic properties. It has pain relieving property.
- Sonth (Zingiber officinale) - It is also known as dry ginger. It has anti-inflammatory property. It is used in joint pain.
- It has both anti-inflammatory property and pain relieving properties.
- It is effective against both acute and chronic inflammations.
Dose - 2 capsules twice in a day with water after meals.
3. Boswellia Curcumin
It is an herbal formulation by Planet Ayurveda which contains Shallaki (Boswellia serrata) and Curcumin (Curcuma longa).
- Shallaki (Boswellia serrata) - It is an herb which contains anti-inflammatory terpenoids called Boswellic acids. It is used in different inflammatory conditions like osteoarthritis, rheumatoid arthritis, and other joint problems. It is helpful in joint pain.
- Curcumin (Curcuma longa) - It has wide range of medicinal value. It has anti-inflammatory, anti-oxidant, anti-viral and anti-bacterial properties. So it is used in management of various health complications.
Dose - 2 capsules twice daily, after meals with plain water.
4. Gandhak Rasayan
These are pure natural herbal tablets which are obtained from Shuddh Gandhak also known as purified sulphur. It is herbal supplement for rejunvenation. It has an excellent property to remove toxins from body. It has anti-inflammatory, anti-bacterial properties. It is good for skin diseases and infectious diseases.
Dose - 2 tablets twice in a day with water after meals.
5. Hakam Churna
It is powder formulation provided by Planet Ayurveda which is combination of different herbs and this combination is also called "Tridoshic Rasayan". It is helpful in relieving joint pain, back ache and other painful inflammatory conditions.
- Chandershoor (Lepidium sativum)
- Kalonji (Nigella sativa)
- Methi (Trigonelia foencum graecum)
- Ajwain (Trachyspermum ammi)
Dose - 3-5 grams of this powder should be consumed with hot water, two times in a day.
Diet and Lifestyle
- Increase intake of fluids in the form of soups and dals.
- Diet should contain vegetables.
- Fruits like apples and plantains should be consumed.
- Avoid oily food.
- Avoid intake of coffee and tea.
Prevention of Chikungunya
Some common strategy helps in prevention of this disease condition which are given below:
- Prevent clogging of water.
- Maintain cleaning of surrounding.
- Keep windows and doors close to prevent mosquitoes.
- Try to wear full clothes to cover body to prevent yourself from mosquito bite.
Dr. Meenakshi Chauhan
MD (ALT. MEDICINE) View Profile