Daruharidra, Indian Barberry (Berberis aristata)
Description of Plant
Daruharidra - Daruharidra botanical name Berberis aristata is erect, evergreen shrub with height of 3.5mt. It is woody plant with yellow to brown bark from outside and with dark yellow bark inside. The bark is fully covered with three branched thorns, which are modified leaves in tufts of 5-8 and are simple with pinnate venation. Upper surface of leaves are dark green and lower surface of leaves are light green. Leaves of this plant are toothed, simple, sessile, and leathery in texture and are arranged radically. Flowers are stalked, yellow, complete and hermaphrodite. The flowers appear in month of April-May. This plant is self-fertile and are pollinated by small insects. Fruits are ovoid and covered with bloom as in plum and color is aconite violet. The fruits of this herb are juicy rich in nutrients and contain plenty of sugar. Seeds are 2-5 in number and vary in color from yellow to pink.
Berberis aristata herb is called Indian barberry or tree turmeric and it belongs to family Berberidaceae. It is used in Ayurvedic medicine system from long times. Fruit of this plant is edible and rich source of vitamin C. The root bark of this herb is rich in berberine and isoquinoline alkaloids. Both chemical compounds are anti-fungal, anti-bacterial, anti-oxidant, anti-viral, ant-diabetic, anti-tumor and anti-inflammatory in nature.
Whole plant is very good source of dye and is used for dyeing clothes, cotton and leathers. Roots of this herb is used in the preparation of alcoholic drinks.
Special Note about Berberis Aristata
Rasaunt - A special preparation from this plant is called rasaunt. To prepare rasaunt root bark and lower part of stem is boiled in water. The amount of water used to prepare rasaunt is sixteen times more than roots of Daruhaldi. Then solution is stained and evaporated till water remains 1/4th. Again the extract obtained is cooked till the semi-solid mass is obtained. This mass obtained is then mixed with butter, lime juice or opium juice and it is used as mild purgative and cures various ailments.
Daruharidra herb is native to Himalayas in India. It is also widely distributed in wet zone of Sri Lanka. This species of evergreen deciduous shrub is also found in temperate and sub-tropical regions of Asia, Europe and America. It is also distributed in Bhutan and hilly areas of Nepal. Daruharidra is also found in Himachal Pradesh especially in Kumaon and Chamba region. This herb is widely distributed in Nilgiris hills in South India.
Classification of Daruharidra
- Kingdom – Plantae
- Order – Ranunculales
- Family – Berberidaceae
Names of Daruharidra
- English name – Indian beriberi
- Hindi name – Daru haldi
- Tamil name – Mara manjal
- Bengali name – Daruharidra
- Punjabi name – Daru haldi
- Marathi name – Daruhalad
- Gujarati name – Daru haldar
- Telugu name – Kasturipushpa
- Farsi name – Darchoba
- Kannada name – Bagisutra
- Malayalam name – Maramannal, Maramanjal
- Oriya name – Daruharidra, Daruhaldi
- Punjabi name – Sumalu
- Urdu name – Darhald
Ayurvedic Properties of Daruharidra
|Hindi / Sanskrit||English|
|Rasa||Kashaya, Tikta||Taste||Astringent, Bitter|
|Guna||Laghu, Ruksha||Physical Property||Light, Dry|
|Vipaka||Katu||Metabolic Property (After Digestion)||Pungent|
Daruharidra Effects on Doshas
It balances Pitta and Kapha doshas.
|Charak Samhita||Sushrut Samhita and vagbhatta|
||Haridradi, Lakshadi, Mustadi Gana|
Ancient Verse about Berberis aristata
Darvi, daruharidra, prajneya, prajeni, kantakteri, peeta, pachampa, kaleyak, peetadru, haridru, peetdaru and peetak all are synonyms of daruharidra. All the properties of this herb are similar to Curcuma longa but this herb is used to cure eye, ear and throat related disorders.
Berberis aristata Uses
- Paste of this herb is used externally to reduce pain and inflammation. Best use of this herb is in eye related disorders.
- It is also used for quick healing of wounds and paste of this herb is also useful in syphilis, ulcers and anal fistula.
- Daruharidra helps to cure spasmodic pain and is very beneficial for patients of menorrhagia and leucorrhoea.
- Roots of daruharidra are hepato protective in nature and fight against liver toxicity. It gives wonderful result in jaundice patients.
- It is also anti-diabetic in nature. Root powder of this herb triggers the extra formation of insulin and protect body from harmful effects of diabetes.
- Daruharidra is very effective herb with anticancer properties which fights against human colon cancer.
- This herb fights against the various infections caused by microbes in both males and females. In females it is used to cure uterine infections.
- It is also used in ear aches and ear discharge.
- This herb helps to stimulate sweating and is used in intermittent fever. It is much effective herb in malaria than any other herbs.
- Fruit of this herb is appetizer, helps to stimulate digestive fire and is beneficial in patients of dysentery.
- It is also used for constipation and piles.
- Paste of this herb is applied over eyelids to reduce conjunctivitis.
- Decoction of Daruharidra is used in the form of gargles in throat infections and to improve voice.
- Fruit extract
- Decoction – 50-100ml
- Fruit powder – 3-5gm
- Fruit extract – 3gm
Planet Ayurveda's Products which Contain this Herb as an Ingredient
Daruhaldi powder is a natural and chemical free powder which is prepared from the herb daruhaldi. This powder is the best Ayurvedic formulation which improves the liver function and regenerates the liver cells naturally. It also provides nourishment to the skin and regulates the metabolism of the body. This herbal supplement may possesses various medicinal properties like anti-bacterial, antifungal, laxative and analgesic. It also boosts up the immune system naturally. This formulation contains roots of daruhaldi which is hepato-protective in nature and prevents the liver from toxicity. In females, it is mostly given in uterine and menstrual related disorders. You can also apply the paste of this powder over eyelids to decrease conjunctivitis. Being an anti-diabetic, it enhances the formation of insulin and protects the body from complications related to diabetes.
Madhumehantak churna is an Ayurvedic formulation that is especially useful in type 1 and type 2 diabetes mellitus. This churna is a combination of various herbs like tulsi, babool, bilva patra, saptrangi, vizaysaar, gurmaar, daruhaldi, methi, jamun, karela, sadabahar and neem patra. These herbs contain alkaloids that are helpful in controlling the blood sugar levels. Patients suffering from diabetes can use this formulation and get their ailment under control. High blood sugar level may lead to various conditions like diabetic foot, diabetic retinopathy and nephropathy. This churna works on these related affected organs and recovers the patient's health. It is superior than other products because the herbs present in it are 100% pure and natural and have no side effects. Only the organic and wild crafted herbs are used in the preparation of this churna.
Navkarshik churna is a classical Ayurvedic formulation that has been used in Ayurveda since many ages for balancing the vata dosha in the body. This churna contains amalaki, bibhitaki, haritaki, neem, giloy, Vacha, katuki, daruhaldi and manjistha. This churna acts as a natural blood purifier and prevents skin infections. Being an immunomodulator it boosts up the immunity and prevents the body from infections. It also corrects the body's metabolism and relives every type of pain. This formulation is mainly useful in gouty arthritis when the uric acid levels in the blood is very high and it also acts as an antibacterial and anti-inflammatory.