It is a very common health problem which may vary from mild to even life-threatening one. It is a condition characterized with annoying and painful loose and watery stools. It occurs usually due to an infection in the gastrointestinal tract or consuming polluted / contaminated food and water.
Causes of Diarrhea
- Diarrhea leads to painful and frequent loose, watery stools resulting in dehydration and weakness in body. This happens due to taking food or water contaminated with microbes which includes bacteria, viruses, parasitic organisms etc.
- Microscopic colitis is a diarrhea affecting adults frequently who are much older during night.
- Malabsorptive and maldigestive diarrhea caused due to impaired nutrient absorption and impaired digestive function.
- Chronic infections occur due to a history of travelling a lot or consuming antibiotic.
- Drug-induced diarrhea can occur due to Laxatives as well as antibiotics.
- Endocrine disturbances may also be one of the reasons for diarrhea.
Symptoms of Diarrhea
- Weight loss
- Blood or pus in the stools
- Persistent vomiting
- Stomach pain
- Abdominal cramps
Prevention of Diarrhea
Nowadays in many countries diarrhea has become troublesome due to unhygienic environment, pollution and contaminated water, poor sanitation and unhealthy lifestyle. One must prevent the infection by following below:
- Always drink clean, fresh and safe drinking water.
- Practice good sanitation system which includes waste water and sewage.
- Practice good hygiene that includes hand washing with soap and disinfectant after defecation. This is to be done always after disposing of a child's stool, before preparing food , after cleaning a child who has defecated and before eating.
- Care to be taken during breastfeeding for the first 6 months.
- People to be educated and made aware about the hazards of spread of infection.
Herbal Remedies for Diarrhea by Planet Ayurveda
Planet Ayurveda brings to you the most potent, herbal remedies like UC Care Pack for ayurvedic treatment of diarrhea. Only the best quality herbs are chosen for the preparation of these herbal remedies and are made on the principles of Ayurveda. The remedies offered by Planet Ayurveda are natural, pure and vegetarian. Also, there are no chemicals, additives and preservatives which makes it free from side effects
- Arjuna Capsules - 2 capsules twice daily with plain water after meal.
- Vatsakadi churna - 1 teaspoonful twice daily with plain water after meal or you can boil the powder - 1 teaspoonful in 400 ml water, keep it boiling until it remains 50 ml. Strain it and drink the water. Leave the residue. Do it twice daily. Make fresh every time.
- Pitta balance - 1 capsules twice daily with plain water after meal.
- Kutajaghana vati - 2 tablets twice daily with plain water after meal.
1. Arjuna Capsules
Arjuna (Terminalia Arjuna) tree bark, standardized extract is used to make this formulation.
Benefits: Arjuna capsules act as an anti-oxidant, analgesic and anti-inflammatory. These capsules help to control bleeding. Regular use of Arjuna helps in maintaining heart health and balance the three energies of the body and helps in removing the blockage in the arteries.
2. Vatsakadi Churna
This is a pure natural formulation which plays an important role to cure ulcerative colitis. It consists of Bilva (Aegle Marmelos), Saunf (Foeniculum Vulgare), Dhania (Coriandrum Sativum), kutaz (Holarrhena antidysenterica), Nagarmotha (Cyperus Scariosus), Anar (Pomegranate), Chotti Elaichi (Cardamom), and Jaiphal (Myristica Fragrans).
Benefits: Vataskadi chruna especially works on the intestines. Kutaz - it acts as a carmative, tonic, anti-periodicity. It works very well in relieving and curing dysentery also. Bilva - it helps in the relieving the digestive system disorders and symptoms due to vata disorders. Saunf - It has a phytoestrogens which helps in the digestion. Choti-elaichi - It is also good for digestive system. It acts as mouth refresher. It is also helpful in respiratory disorders. Jaiphal - It has stimulant and analgesic properties and is moreover considered best ayurvedic herb for the digestive system.
3. Pitta Balance
It has ingredients like kamdhandhu Ras, Mukti Pisti, Praval Pishti, Akik Pishti, Jaharmohra Pisti, Giloy satva (Tinospora Cordifolia).
Benefits: Our body consists of three energies vatta, Pitta and kapha according to Ayurveda. Pitta is responsible for digestion, as well as metabolism of the body. In this formulation there is a calcium compounds which helps in controlling bleeding and provides a cooling effect to the body. In this disease (ulcerative colitis) it is very important to balance the pitta as it is primarily, caused due to imbalance of pitta dosha in the body.
4. Kutajghan Vati
These tablets are prepared from herb Kutaja (Holarrhena antidysenterica). This herb has great medicinal importance which helps to balance all three doshas in body. It has medicinal properties like carminative, aphrodisiac etc. which make it very useful for chronic diarrhea, dysentery, intestinal worms. It stimulates the digestive fire (agni) and restores proper digestion by normalizing the function of garhani. So it relieves problems of dysentery, diarrhea, digestive problems and IBS.
Where to buy UC Care Pack?
To buy UC Care Pack, please visit store.planetayurveda.com/ulcerative-colitis-care-pack.html
- Take clear, liquids like fruit juice without added sugar.
- It’s advisable to have one cup of liquid after each loose stool for replacing lost fluids.
- Always avoid drinking during meals.
- Try consuming foods and liquids with high-potassium like diluted fruit juices, potatoes without the skin and bananas.
- Also consume foods and liquids with high-sodium content like soups, sports drinks, broths and salted crackers.
- Take foods which are high in soluble fiber including banana, oatmeal and rice because they help in thickening of stools.
- Avoid food items which can make your condition worse which includes fried foods, creamy and sugary foods.
- There are a list of food items and drinks which makes the condition even worse like sugar-free gum, mints, sweet cherries, prunes, caffeinated drinks, medication fructose, fruit juices, grapes, honey, dates, nuts, figs, soft drinks, prunes lactose in dairy products, Magnesium olestra, or Olean, a fat substitute.