Diet Plan for Common Cold
Common cold is viral infection of upper respiratory tract. Different types of viruses are responsible for common cold. The symptoms of common cold are runny nose, sore throat, congestion, sneezing. It is not a life threatening condition but it can lead to discomfort in breathing. According to Ayurveda, common cold occurs when digestive fire (AGNI) did not burn toxins of body (Ama) and results in phlegm formation. Kapha pacifying diet is ideal in common cold.
DIET CHART FOR Common COLD
- Veg Semolina (Veg upma) / Broken wheat porridge (Veg Dalia) / Veg Vermicelli (Sewian) / Veg poha (Rice flakes) / Veg Idli / Brown Bread Sandwich / Besan pancake (gram flour) / Stuffed Chapatti / Chapatti with Veg or Dal Milk / Curd + 1 Eggs white portion
Fruit / Fruit juice / Herbal tea / Coconut water
Chapatti + Vegetable / Dal + Salad
Herbal tea / Green tea / Roasted Chana / Rice flakes snack
Chapatti + Vegetable + Dal
Cereals to be consumed
Barley, Granola, Rye, Amaranth, Corn, Millet, Buckwheat, Quinoa, Wheat
Cereals to be avoided
Fruits to be consumed
Apple, Cranberries, Pomegranate, Apricots, Papaya, Litchi
Fruits to be avoided
Prunes, Cherries, Figs, Grapes, Mango, Melons, Orange, Peach, Pear, Raspberry, Strawberry, Banana, Date.
Vegetables to be consumed
Broccoli, Cabbage, Celery, Asparagus, Carrot, Chard, Cilantro, Green beans, Lettuce, Mushroom, Peas, Onion, Cauliflower, Radish, Potato, Sweet potato, Ginger, Garlic
Vegetables to be avoided
Okra, Eggplant, Taro roots
Pulses to be consumed
All pulses can be consumed
Pulses to be avoided
Dairy Products to be consumed
Soy milk, Cow ghee
Dairy Products to be avoided
Cottage cheese, Milk, Sour cream, Yoghurt, Buttermilk, Sour cream, Cheese, cream, Ice cream
Spices to be consumed
Black pepper, Cardamom, Cloves, Mustard, Turmeric, Asafetida, Basil, Cinnamon, Cilantro, Cumin, Fenugreek, Parsley, Mint, Nutmeg
Spices to be avoided
Drinks to be consumed
Coconut water, Homemade soups, Green juice, Herbal tea
Drinks to be avoided
Whole milk drinks, Cream based liqueurs, canned soup and packaged soup, Alcohol, Sweetened drinks, Squashes, Carbonated drinks
Flesh Foods to be consumed (once in a 15 days)
Egg white, Chicken (Once in a week)
Flesh Foods to be avoided
Processed and fried meat, Red meat- (Beef, Lamb, Pork), Fishes –( Tilefish, Shark, Swordfish, King Mackerel, Marlin, Bluefin Tuna), Duck, Turkey
SEEDS AND DRY FRUITS
Dry Fruits to be consumed
Almond, Raisins, Ground Nuts, Walnut, Peanuts, Pistachio, Cashew, Pumpkin Seeds, Chia Seeds, Flax Seeds, Sunflower Seeds, Sesame Seeds.
Dry Fruits to be avoided
Oils to be consumed
Mustard, Safflower, Sunflower, Ghee, Peanut, Sesame, Almonds, Coconut
Oils to be avoided
Cream, Palm oil
Other Foods to be consumed
Other Foods to be avoided
Bakery and Processed Foods, Fried Food, Junk Food, Pickles, Artificial Sweeteners, Packed Soups, Refined Sugar
- Do not skip meals.
- Drink plenty of water.
- Avoid over eating.
- Avoid simple crabs and saturated and Trans fats.
- Do not use refined sugar.
- Add foods from all food groups.
- Avoid consumption of packed foods.
- Basil leaves - Chew 2-3 basil leaves or boil leaves in cup of water and drink it in the morning.
- Ginger - Add 2-3 slices of ginger in cup of water and heat it for 5 minutes. Drink this decoction.
- Garlic - Put some cloves of garlic in mustard oil and heat the oil for sometime. Apply oil on chest.
- Gargling - Add pinch of salt in water and boil the water for 2-3 minutes.
- Black pepper - Mix 1 tsp of black pepper with jaggery .Prepare a mixture and have it 2-3 times in a day.