Diet Plan for Heartburn
Heartburn is defined as a burning sensation felt in the chest region just behind the breastbone. It is a symptom of acid reflux. The symptoms of heartburn may get worse when you eat heavy meals, spicy and oily foods. Heartburn is also common in the pregnancy because during pregnancy the progesterone hormone relaxes the lower esophageal sphincter and acid from the stomach enters the esophagus thus, develops a burning sensation. High- fat diet, acidic foods and the foods which take a long time to digest can trigger heartburn.
DIET CHART FOR HEARTBURN
Fennel water / Coriander water / Soaked almonds
Broken wheat porridge / Veg Semolina (veg upma) / Veg Vermicelli / Veg Poha (Rice flakes) / Veg Oats / Besan pancake (gram flour) / Missi Roti / Chapatti with Veg or Dal
Fruit / Fruit or vegetable juice (Avoid fruits and vegetables that are acidic in nature) / Coconut water / Herbal tea / Ginger tea
Chapatti + Rice + Salad + Vegetable + Dal
Roasted Rice flakes / homemade soup / Herbal tea / Soy milk / Almond milk
Chapatti + Vegetable + Dal
Cereals to be consumed
Whole wheat, Brown Rice, Millet, Oats, Semolina, Vermicelli
Cereals to be avoided
White refined flour, Bakery products, and White rice
Fruits to be consumed
Apple, Watermelons, Bananas, Pears, Peaches, Melon, Sapodilla, Muskmelon, Pomegranate
Fruits to be avoided
Citrus fruits in excess (Orange, Lemon, Lime, Grapefruit, Pineapple)
Vegetables to be consumed
Broccoli, Carrots, Green beans, Peas, Cucumber, Asparagus, Cauliflower, Lettuce, Bottle guard, Bitter guard, Ridge guard, Round guard, Zucchini, Okra, Ginger, Pumpkin, Ash guard, Mushroom
Vegetables to be avoided
Onion, Garlic, Tomato, and Taro roots, Yam, Jackfruit, Sweet potato, Raw salad
Pulses to be consumed
Split pulses- Yellow lentil, Orange lentil, Split chickpeas, Split pigeon peas, Green lentil
Pulses to be avoided
Dairy Products to be consumed
Low-fat milk and Buttermilk (occasionally)
Dairy Products to be avoided
Whole milk, Butter, Curd, Yogurt, Cheese, Condensed milk
Spices to be consumed
Basil, Mint, Coriander, Cumin, Fennel, Turmeric, and Carmon
Spices to be avoided
Red and green chilies, Cloves, Black pepper
Drinks to be consumed
Herbal tea, Green tea, Soup homemade, Coconut water, Pomegranate juice, Carrot juice
Drinks to be avoided
Coffee, Tea, Alcohol, Carbonated drinks, canned and packaged soups and juices.
Flesh Foods to be consumed
Egg white, Chicken soup
Flesh Foods to be avoided
Red meat, Organs, Pork, Sea fish, Mutton, Rabbit, Beef
SEEDS AND DRY FRUITS
Dry Fruits to be consumed
Soaked Almond, Soaked Raisins, Flax seed, Pumpkin seed, Sesame seed
Dry Fruits to be avoided
Peanuts, Cashew nuts, Pistachio, Chia seeds, Dates
Oils to be consumed
Cow ghee, Mustard oil, Rice bran oil, Olive oil
Oils to be avoided
Palm oil, hydrogenated oil
Sweeteners to be consumed
Sweeteners to be avoided
Chocolate, Refined sugar, Jellies, Jam
Other Foods to be consumed
Other Foods to be avoided
Processed and prepared foods, Mayonnaise, Spicy foods, Junk foods, Fried foods
LIFESTYLE AND DIETARY TIPS
- Walk for at least 30 min is recommended
- Whole fruits should be preferred to fruit juices
- Skipping meals should be avoided, especially the breakfast.
- Water intake should be limited 6-8 glasses per day
- Seasonal fruits and vegetables should be consumed.
- Herbal Tea- Boil ½ tsp each of fennel, coriander, cumin in 3 cups of water till it’s reduced to 1 cups.
- Amla powder - 1 tsp. daily after meals
- Amla (Indian gooseberry) + Fennel + Licorice powder together 1/2 tsp. daily after meal.
- Avoid eating too late at night and prefer light dinner
- Do not wear very tight clothes.
- Avoid food that triggers heartburn.
- Do not lie down for at least 2 to 3 hours after you eat.
- Try to avoid alcohol or limit those foods that cause the most problem.
- It is advisable to limit the intake of citrus fruits as they can lead to heartburn.