Diet Plan for Back Pain Patients
Back pain is a very common condition increasing day by day among the people irrespective to the age. Constant pain is felt in the back due to some activity, injury or other medical conditions. It is also known as Backache. The reasons behind this back pain varies person to person. Consuming a diet rich in calcium and vitamin D and avoiding the food that causes inflammation provides major relief from back pain. A balanced and nutritional diet is really very important to prevent and treat this majorly rising health problem.
DIET CHART FOR BACK PAIN
Herbal tea / Green tea/ Soaked Almonds -5/ Walnuts -2
Veg dalia/ Veg poha (Rice flakes) / Moong dal cheela / Ragi roti/ Chapatti with veg or Dal / 1 - Egg white portion only
Fruit / Coconut water / Herbal tea / Green tea / Salad
Chapatti /Brown Rice /Sabudana khichdi/ Vegetable + Dal / Salad/ Non- veg (once in a week)
Sprouts / Green tea / lentil Soup (Home-made) / Herbal tea / Salad/ Fox nut( Makhane)/ Ginger tea
Chapatti / Brown Rice / Vegetable + Dal
Milk + Pinch of turmeric.
Cereals to be consumed
Wheat, White rice, Brown rice, Sorghum, Amaranth, Finger millet, Foxtail millet, Pearl millet, Buckwheat, Little millet
Flour Ratio - Wheat Atta (50%) + Soybean Atta (20%) + Ragi flour (30%)
Cereals to be avoided
Refined flour and its products
Fruits to be consumed
Apple, Banana, Water melon, Muskmelon, Avocado, Peaches, Pear, Coconut, Pomegranate, All types of berries , Figs, Mango, Litchi, Custard apple, Orange, Sweet lime, Sapodilla, Pineapple, Grapes
Fruits to be avoided
Canned fruits and juices
Vegetables to be consumed
Zucchini, Sweet potato, Pumpkin, Ginger, Celery, Red onion, Coriander, Radish, Broccoli, Cabbage, Cauliflower, Kale, Mushrooms, Spinach, Carrot, Peas, Fenugreek leaves, Potato, Yam, Okra, Bottle gourd, Bitter gourd.
Vegetables to be avoided
Tomatoes, Eggplant, Peppers, Canned vegetables and frozen vegetables
Pulses to be consumed
All pulses and legumes.
Pulses to be avoided
Dairy Products to be consumed
Low-fat milk, Tofu, Curd, Yogurt, Buttermilk, Cottage cheese, Butter
Dairy Products to be avoided
Whole milk and cream, Full-fat yoghurt, Cream cheese, Condensed milk, Unpasteurized Cheese
Oils to be consumed
Cow ghee, Sunflower oil, Canola oil, Olive oil, Mustard oil, Coconut oil
Oils to be avoided
Spices to be consumed
Cumin, Coriander, Turmeric, Ginger, Fennel, Cinnamon, Carom
Spices to be avoided
Drinks to be consumed
Coconut water, Clear soups, Sugarcane juice, Home-made soups, Home-made juices
Drinks to be avoided
Whole milk drinks, Cream based liqueurs, canned soup and packaged soup, Alcohol, Sweetened drinks, Squashes, Carbonated drinks
Flesh Foods to be consumed
Egg white, Roasted chicken, Grilled Fish, Lean meat, Skinless chicken
Flesh Foods to be avoided
Processed and fried meat, Red meat- (Beef, Lamb, Pork)
DRY-FRUITS / SEEDS
Dry Fruits to be consumed
Almond, Raisins, Ground Nuts, Walnut, Hazel nuts Peanuts, Pistachio, Cashew, Pumpkin Seeds, Chia Seeds, Flax Seeds, Sunflower Seeds, Sesame Seeds.
Dry Fruits to be avoided
Prepared Foods to be consumed
Prepared Foods to be avoided
Bakery and Processed Foods, Fried Food, Junk Food, Pickles, Artificial Sweeteners, Packed Soups, Refined Sugar
Sweeteners to be consumed
Sweeteners to be avoided
- Basil leaves – Boil 10-12 basil leaves in 1 cup of water until it reduces to half cup. Salt can be added and drink this mixture 2 times in a day.
- Ginger - It can be consumed in different ways you can chew a slice of fresh ginger, drink juice of ginger2-3 times in a day.
- Potato - Slice potato and soak it overnight in water. Drink this water early morning. This will give relief from back ache
- Herbal tea – Boil 1 tsp of fennel, coriander, cumin in 3 cups of water till it’s reduced to 1 cup.
- Turmeric - Mix ¼ tsp of turmeric in 1 glass milk. Consume it every night.Strain the solution and drink it.
- Coconut oil – heat the coconut oil with camphor and massage it on back.
- Maintain good posture
- Get enough sleep
- Daily Exercise
- Quit smoking
- Maintain healthy body weight
- Avoid prolonged hours of sitting
- Avoid wearing high heels
- Healthy diet- rich in calcium and vitamin D
- Yoga postures like- garudasana, ustrasana and bitilasana(cow pose) is very helpful in back pain.