About Down Syndrome
Down syndrome is a genetic disorder with abnormality in number of chromosomes where extra genetic material from chromosome 21 is transferred to a newly formed embryo, having 47 chromosomes in their cells instead of 46 (Normal number of Chromosomes), characterized by intellectual disability, a characteristic facial appearance, and weak muscle tone (hypotonia) in infancy. All affected individuals experience cognitive delays but the intellectual disability is usually mild to moderate. All person with Down syndrome are unique individual and may be characterized to different degrees, or not at all.
Causes of Down Syndrome
Every cell in the body comprises genes that are grouped along chromosomes in the nucleus of the cell. There are usually 46 number of chromosomes in each cell, 23 are inherited from mother and 23 from father. But in case of Down syndrome there is an extra full or partial copy of chromosome 21 some or all cells.
Types of Down Syndrome
1. Trisomy 21
Every cell of the affected child have three copies of chromosome 21 instead of the usual two copies. Affecting about 95 percent of people.
2. Mosaic Down syndrome
Type of Condition where child is born with an extra chromosome in some of the cells not all. It's a rare form of Down syndrome affecting about 2% of people
3. Translocation Down syndrome
It's a type where one of every cell has an extra piece of chromosome 21 attaches itself to another chromosome. It affects around 4% of people with Down's syndrome.
Risk Factors of Down syndrome
- Getting pregnant at older age for women age 35 and older
- Previous pregnancy with fetus had Down syndrome.
Symptoms of Down syndrome
Individuals with Down syndrome often have different physical characteristics, distinctive health issues, and variability in cognitive development.
1. Physical appearance
Individual of Down's syndrome are often characterized by certain physical features which may not be present in everyone, but they may have:
- Head is flat and small
- Protruding tongue is too large for the mouth
- Eyes are slanted upwards and white spots on the iris.
- Nose is small with flat nasal bridge.
- Hands are broad with short fingers.
- Ears are short and odd in appearance.
- Their palm may be characterized by only one crease across it
- Poor muscle tone.
- A wide space is present between first and second toe (sandal gap).
- Height and weight is usually below average.
2. Delayed development
- Every child with Down's syndrome will have learning disability to some extent and development is delayed, but these characteristics differ widely between individual children.
- Affected children may have slower skills to learn certain things as how to sit, stand, walk, and talk etc. They learn these skills but simply take more time.
- Speech and language development is also late.
- Other difficulties like autism spectrum disorder (ASD) or attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) is present 1 in every 10 children.
3. Health problems
- Heart defects is in about half of the children of Down syndrome. Hypothyroidism, celiac disease, and diseased eye conditions are also seen.
- Respiratory infections, constipation, hearing problems, or dental problems are common in these children.
Herbal Remedies for Down Syndrome by Planet Ayurveda
Planet Ayurveda offers effective herbal remedies such as Ashwagandha Capsules, Daily Essentials, Digestion Support & Coral Calcium Capsules for ayurvedic treatment of down syndrome. These herbal remedies are prepared from using best quality herbs and strictly follow the principles of Ayurveda. These herbal remedies help to reduce learning disability and neuromuscular incoordination, and also prevent or minimize the chances of dementia in later life. Help to improve the immune system and minimize the exposure to infection as well as to the possibility of diseases like leukemia.
Ashwagandha capsules are herbal formulation which have good use in debilitating conditions, fatigue, stress, anxiety, palpitation, nervous breakdown, and neuropathy, chronic fatigue syndrome.
Regular use of Ashwagandha capsules supports to strengthen the muscles and as well calm down the system. It is a nervine tonic and improves physical as well as mental stamina. It can be given to children suffering from Down syndrome.
Ashwagandha is a natural herb that helps to improve the ability of the body to maintain physical strength and helps the body to adapt to various types of stress. Ashwagandha is useful to manage wide range of conditions including anxiety, respiratory disorders, nervous disorders, gynecological disorders, male infertility, impotence and improves poor memory.
This herb has property to fight against resistance to stress and rejuvenates tissues in the body and, increases stamina and supports general well-being. Ashwagandha is the best herb for balancing Vata in the body. Vata governs all movement in the body, including the movement of nerve impulses throughout the nervous system. It is as very effective for muscles.
Dosage: 1-2 capsules twice daily, with plain water after meals.
This herbal formulation is combination of certain very useful herbs which collectively supports to enhance immunity of the body. It is efficient antioxidant that supports the removal of toxins from the body.
- Grape Seed (Vitis vinifera): Grape fruits are rich source of vitamin C, which is very effective for boosting whole immune system. Good antioxidant as well.
- Cow Colostrums(Bovine Colostrums): Cow Colostrum consists of some of very essential healthy factors like vitamins, micronutrients, proteins and minerals that helps to build up and strengthen the immune system and secure body against diseases.
- Bhumi Amla (Phyllanthus niruhi): Bhumi amla is very strong anti-oxidant that helps to fights against diseases and eliminating toxins away from the body. Keeps one fit and healthy by strengthening and enhancing the whole immunity system.
- Green Tea (Camellia Sinensis): Green tea great source of antioxidant known as polyphenols which fights against free radicals and boosts immune system.
Dose: 1-2 Capsules two times a day, with plain water, after meals.
Digestion Support is a blend of some unique herbs that work together in a synergistic manner. The herbs like Haritaki, Fennel, Cumin, and Pepper that balance the natural pH in the stomach and beneficial for digestion of all types of food.
- Amla (Emblica officinalis): Emblica officinalis is described in Ayurveda as useful rejuvenating herb that has most important vitamins but also being cold in potency, it relieves 'heat' within the body. Stimulates secretion of digestive juices by being sour in taste. It contains natural citric acid and ascorbic acid which also aids in digestion of food.
- Haritaki (Terminalia chebula): Terminalia chebula natural herb suppresses the formation of gas because of its warm potency and also relieves constipation as it is a mild laxative.
- Bahera (Terminalia bellerica): It is very useful herb of formulation 'Triphala' which is useful in acidity and constipation. It removes excessive 'kapha' which is main cause of loss of appetite.
- Sounf (Foeniculum vulgare): It is very common and useful herb used in alleviating gaseous acidity and constipation.
- Dhania (Coriander sativum): Coriander is another useful and very common herb that improves appetite and relieves constipation and gas.
- Pippali (Piper longum): Piper is very useful in cases of low appetite and indigestion.
- Jeerak (Cuminum cyminum): Cumin is very commonly used to improve appetite.
Dose: 1-2 Capsules two times a day, with plain water, after meals.
It is an herbal medicine which helps to keep optimum calcium levels of the body, healthy bones as well as healthy muscles and nerves. It is a pure and natural compound having combination of parval pishti (coral), akik pishti (agate), jawar mohra pishti, kamdhudha ras, mukta pishti (pearl), and giloy satva (guduchi) (Tinospora cordifolia).
- Parval Pishti (Coral): Supports against degeneration of bones and promotes strength of skeleton.
- Akik Pishti (Agate): Akik is very effective for low bone density.
- Jawar Mohra Pishti: It manages low bone density and balances Pitta naturally and act as a natural coolant.
- Kamdhudha Ras: It is an effective Ayurvedic medicine that helps in balancing Pitta disorders.
- Mukta Pishti (Pearl): It is a medicine prepared from pearls naturally and supports against low bone density.
- Giloy Satva (Guduchi): An Ayurvedic herbfor low bone density. It improves immune system naturally.
Dose: 1-2 Capsules two times a day, with plain water, after meals.Share with your friends: