Reference: Yogaratnakara Rasayana Adhikara 1 – 4, Rasatarangini 8th chapter
Gandhaka Rasayana is classical Ayurvedic preparation available in herbal powder or tablet form. It maintains the balances of Vata, Pitta and Kapha Doshas. Gandhak Rasayana is having antibacterial, antiviral and antimicrobial properties. It is useful in the treatment of skin diseases, itching, chronic fever, and urinary tract disorders etc.
- 10 g fine powder of Gandhaka – Purified Sulphur
- Godugdha (Cow milk)
- Cinnamon (Cinnamomum zeylanicum) - Water decoction / juice extract
- Ela (Cardamom) (Elettaria cardamomum)
- Patra (Cinnamomum tamala)
- Nagakeshara (Mesua ferrea)
- Guduchi (Tinospora cordifolia) - Stem
- Haritaki (Terminalia chebula) - Fruit rind
- Amalaki (Emblica officinalis / Phyllanthus emblica)
- Vibhitaki (Terminalia bellerica)
- Shunti (Ginger) (Zingiber officinalis) - Rhizome
- Bhringaraja (Eclipta alba)
- Sita (Sugar Syrup)
Method of Preparation
Grind the Purified Sulphur (Shuddha Gandhaka) with cow milk three times. Then grind it till dried, for 8 times with each of the following liquids:
- Water decoction of Triphala (Haritaki, Vibhitaki and Amalki)
- Chaturjata Phanta – A tea prepared with Chaturjata (Cardamom, Tejpatta, cinnamon and Nagakesar)
- Decoction of Guduchi
- Bhringaraja kashaya – decoction of Eclipta alba
- Shrungavera rasa – fresh ginger juice extract.
Rigorous grinding turns the mass into fine paste.
It is then turned into tablet form or stockpiled in powder form and consumed along with equal parts of unrefined sugar.
Gandhaka Rasayana is an effective Ayurvedic formulation that is able to keep the Vata, Pitta and Kapha dosha balanced, possessing antibacterial, antimicrobial, antiviral, anti-inflammatory, demulcent, and antipruritic properties, which provide healing effects in various conditions.
An efficient Ayurvedic remedy for skin conditions, like, in Urticaria, it provide relief from itching and burning sensation, is able to reduce itching and scabies rashes in scabies as well as useful in Psoriasis, reduces the rashes and provide relief from Eczema. Its blood purifying activity helps to reduce the acne and pimples and helps to improve the skin complexion. It is even good to use in leprosy as well as, heal boils, etc.
It possess the property to enhance the immunity of the body and hence helps to fight against infections. Also anti-aging in action.
It is helpful in managing the body temperature during chronic fever.
It is even beneficial in urinary tract disorders etc.
It is helpful for illness related to digestive system, as in diarrhea, reduces the frequency of stools, and improves digestion. Also benefits in malabsorption syndrome, improves the absorption of nutrients and strengthen the digestive power.
It has useful effects in bleeding disorders and good for oligospermia condition.
- Gandhaka Rasayana is very good remedy in case of chronic fever,
- Potent Ayurvedic remedy in skin diseases, pruritus and diarrhea,
- Effective in treating urinary tract disorders, bleeding disorders, oligospermia.
- Efficient anti-aging medicine and immunity booster.
- It can improve digestion and skin complexion
- It can cure malabsorption syndrome
- Efficient wound healer and pain reliever.
- Up to 5 years: Below 250 mg each day.
- 5-12 years: 250 mg-1 gram in divided doses each day.
- 1-3 grams in divided doses each day.
- 1-2 times a day before or after meals or as suggested by Ayurvedic doctor.
Contraindications/ Side Effects
- Self-medication is strictly prohibited, have it only under medical supervision.
- This medicine must be taken within precise dose and for required time as recommended by doctor.
- In case of Diabetic, hypertensive patients, cardiac patients, obese people, pregnant ladies, lactating mothers and children this medicine must be consumed strictly under medical supervision.
- In Diabetes before taking it, keep a check on blood sugar levels as it has sugar,
- Keep it away from children reach.