Herbal Remedies for Fibromyalgia
Fibromyalgia is a disorder that is usually related with musculoskeletal disorders which is accompanied with memory and mood issues. Musculoskeletal disorders are the condition that rarely affects the muscles, joints, bones. As the age increases risk of developing musculoskeletal disorders occurs. It is usually causing pain and discomfort in everyday life. Long term sitting in the same position usually affects, lifting heavy weight, maintaining poor posture. The musculoskeletal system works to stand, sit and walk. There are 206 bones and more than 600 muscles which are connected by tendons, muscles, and soft tissues. There are many common causes which are related to musculoskeletal pain such as arthritis, congenital abnormalities, various injuries such as Sprains, bursitis. Pop Star Lady Gaga was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia recently this year. Now, we discuss its causes, symptoms, treatment and its ayurvedic management in detail in this topic.
Fibromyalgia is a chronic, long term illness which causes joint pain, muscle pain. This condition commonly exists with autoimmune disorders such as Lupus, rheumatoid arthritis. It is a disorder of pain due to various abnormalities in the central nervous system. There are problems of pain in the brain, and they become hypersensitive to perception of pain. There are various abnormalities seen in fibromyalgia such as prolonged enhancement of pain, dysregulation of dopamine, diminished levels of serotonin and norepinephrine in the descending pathway of the spinal cord.
- Women are more likely to develop fibromyalgia than men.
- Smoking makes the symptoms of fibromyalgia worse.
- Pain is the main symptom of fibromyalgia
- Regular strength and exercise can reduce the pain.
- People with fibromyalgia have memory and concentration problems so known as brain fog, fibro fog.
- Being overweight trigger the fibromyalgia
- About 5 million people in the United States have fibromyalgia, and some are diagnosed when they are middle aged.
The repeated nerve stimulation causes the brain and spinal cord of people with fibromyalgia to change. These changes involve an abnormal increase in levels of chemicals in the brain that further signal about pain.
There Are Many Factors That Leads To Change
- Genetics- It tends to run in families, due to certain genetic mutations.
- Infections- Some illnesses appear to trigger fibromyalgia.
- Emotional changes
- Lack of sleep
- Mood disorders
- Widespread pain
- Cognitive difficulty impairs visions to focus, pay attention.
- Migraine and other type of headache
- Temporomandibular joint disorders
- Irritable bowel syndrome
- Numbness in the hands and feets.
- Skin problems
- Pelvic and urinary issues
- Breathing problems
- Post traumatic stress disorder
- Excess sweating
- Chest pain
- Urgency to urinate
Triggers Of Fibromyalgia Attack
- Changes in routines
- Lack of sleep
- Weather and temperature changes
- Hormones fluctuations
- Poor diet
- Complete blood count
- Erythrocyte sedimentation rate
- Rheumatoid factor
- Vitamin D
- Antinuclear antibody
- Thyroid function test
Prevention Of Fibromyalgia
- Minimizes stress
- Eat nutritious diet
- Maintain a healthy weight
- Stay active and exercise regularly
- Get enough sleep
- Manage condition of arthritis, depression
In general treatment of fibromyalgia includes both medications and self care.
Various medications include are:-
- Pain relievers- Acetaminophen, ibuprofen, naproxen are useful.
- Antidepressants- Duloxetine eases the pain and fatigueness.
- Anti seizures- They reduce certain types of pain.
- Physical therapy- This helps to improve strength, flexibility, stamina.
- Occupational therapy
- Counselling- Helps to deal with stressful conditions.
- Acupuncture- It helps to restore the normal balance of life.
- Massage therapy- It helps to maintain a healthy life, reduce heart rate, relax joints, improve the motions of joints and increase the body's natural painkillers.
- Yoga and Tai chi- It helps to control the fibromyalgia symptoms, it is a combination of meditation, exercise, breathing.
Lifestyle And Home Remedies
- Stress management- Develop a plan to avoid or limit over exertion to prevent stress. One must allow himself to be in a stress free zone. Try stress management technique such as mediation, deep breathing
- Sleep hygiene- Fatigue is one of the main components of fibromyalgia so good sleep is essential so one must practise good sleep habits.
- Exercise regularly- At first exercise may increase your pain, but regular use can decrease the pain and will provide good results. Good posture, relaxation exercises are helpful in this.
- Pace yourself
- Maintain a healthy lifestyle- Eat healthy foods, don't use tobacco products.
Fibromyalgia is a disease caused by imbalance in the kinetic energy of the body vata, Vata balances the stability and activity of the nervous system. Fibromyalgia is a vata imbalance disease. The aggravation of vata dosha causes many painful conditions, it builds up the aama (toxins) within the body and is the root cause of many autoimmune disorders. These toxins build up in the tissues and lead to fatigue. Firstly the effect is on nerves as toxins get accumulated. Causing tenderness, pain. The toxins (aama) block the circulations and diminish the natural cleansing process of the body and allow more impurities to accumulate in the tissues. The other root cause of fibromyalgia is stress that triggers the symptoms.
Herbs Useful For Fibromyalgia
- Ashwagandha - Ashwagandha (Withania somnifera) has antioxidant properties that help to boost up the immune system. Ashwagandha has an anti-inflammatory property that promotes healthy joints and provides relief to the pain and swelling in joints. It is basically nerve tonic which pacifies the nervous system, maintains a good cardiovascular system so strengthens the heart muscles and maintains blood flow in the body.
- Shallaki - It is the best herb for maintaining pain in osteoarthritis, it reduces the swelling in the joints. Shallaki has vata balancing properties and provides relief from pain and swelling in the joints. Shallaki is very light to digest and further balances kapha and pitta dosha. Shallaki is helpful in bleeding disorders, skin disorders, abscess.
- Brahmi - Brahmi (Bacopa monnieri) improves intelligence naturally, is the best antioxidant herb, and improves the double vision which is due to weakness of nerves, depressions, phobia. Brahmi improves brain growth and controls high blood pressure. In all psychiatric disorders brahmi is a very effective herb.
Herbal Remedies For Fibromyalgia By Planet Ayurveda
Ayurvedic medicines help to treat the disease from its core for a healthy lifestyle. Planet ayurveda is a natural brand which has been serving humanity for a long time. These medications prepared are free from any conservatives, toxins, colors, they are 100% natural based on plant extract. So planet Ayurveda formulated Fibromyalgia Care Pack which provided great relief to the patient without causing any side effects.
- Joint Aid Plus
- Aamvatantak Churna
- Stress Support
- Boswellia Curcumin
- Shatavari Ghrit
- Joint Aid Plus - 2 capsules twice daily with warm water.
- Aamvatantak Churna - 1 teaspoonful twice daily with warm water.
- Stress Support - 1 capsule twice daily with warm water.
- Boswellia Curcumin - 2 capsules twice daily with warm water.
- Shatavari Ghrit - ½ tsp twice a day with warm water.
1. Joint Aid Plus
Joint Aid Plus are poly herbal capsules formulated by Planet Ayurveda using ingredients like Nirgundi (Vitex negundo), Guggul (Commiphora mukul), Ashwagandha (Withania somnifera) and many more. These capsules have inflammatory reactions so helpful in treatment of arthritis pain and inflammations. Joint Aid Plus enhances joint lubrication and rebuilds the cartilage.
2. Aamvatantak Churna
Aamvatantak Churna is herbal powder preparation formulated by Planet Ayurveda using ingredients like Ashwagandha (Withania somnifera), Methi (Trigonella foenum graecum), Gorakhmundi (Sphaeranthus indicus) and many more. This powder has an inflammatory property which helps in reducing pain, tenderness, and inflammations from the joints.
3. Stress Support
Stress Support are poly herbal capsules which are formulated by Planet Ayurveda by various ingredients such as Ashwagandha (Withania somnifera), Tagar (Valeriana wallichii), Brahmi (Bacopa monnieri). These capsules help to relieve stress naturally, anxiety, and are useful in controlling diabetes, blood pressure. Regular use of these capsules helps to calm down the nervous system, hallucinations.
Boswellia Curcumin are herbal capsules which are formulated by Planet Ayurveda using ingredients like Shallaki (Boswellia serrata), Curcumin (Curcuma longa). These capsules have the property of anti inflammatory so they provide joint relief and are used as an arthritis supplement. It reduces the morning stiffness, swelling in joints. Curcumin has liver cleansing properties which can fight against any kind of arthritis. It increases mobility and reduces stiffness.
5. Shatavari Ghrit
Shatavari Ghrit is classical ayurvedic products which is formulated by Planet Ayurveda using ingredients such as Shatavari (Asparagus racemosus), Jeevak (Microstylis muscifera), Meda (Polygonatum cirrhifolium), Munaka (Vitis vinifera) and many more. Shatavari Ghrit is used in many gynecological disorders, balances vata and pitta doshas. It balances the hormonal disturbances in the body so useful in urinary tract infection, menstrual problems, infertility, leucorrhea. It helps in building the overall immunity of a female.
Fibromyalgia is a disorder that is usually related with musculoskeletal disorders which is accompanied with memory and mood issues. Fibromyalgia is a vata imbalance disease. Planet Ayurveda formulated Fibromyalgia Care Pack which provided great relief to the patient without causing any side effects which we discussed in this topic.