Home Remedies for Baby Cough & Chest Congestion
Coughing in toddlers is very common and this helps them in building the immunity in the body. Babies have a hard time when they get sick and go with their parents as well. So, just with some home remedies we can easily relieve this problem in babies. Home remedies help in balancing the tri-dosha in the body and helps in maintaining the healthy wealth as well as the health of the patient. In this article we will be discussing and knowing about cough and chest congestion in babies and also what are the home remedies which will help babies with cough problems as well as chest congestion problems at home. So, be with me till the end.
Normally, cough lasts up to two weeks and exposure to germs etc helps in building immunity to the baby. Chest congestion is also very common in the babies and this causes some serious problems in the babies. Chest congestion and coughing is similar and very often seen in babies because babies catch colds more easily. Their bodies produce extra mucus from their nose and their airways get blocked. As in babies excessive production of mucus is there and also their airways are small, so they are more prone to chest congestion and cough. The treatment for chest congestion and cough is basically suction, steam inhalation etc. Rapid breathing, coughing, difficulty in feeding, runny nose, sniffing, snoring, blockage of nose etc are some of the symptoms of cough and chest congestion in babies. Dry air inhalation, change in weather, infections (viral, bacterial), DNS problem, any kind of allergy, asthma problem, any upper respiratory tract infections etc are some of the causes of cough and chest congestion in babies. Medical history, physical examination, blood tests, X-ray etc are some of the diagnostic tests of cough and chest congestion in babies. Steam inhalation, antibiotics, and salt gargle is the main line of treatment. Nebulisation is recommended if severe cases are there. Home remedies are some of the clues and ancient ways through which we can improve our health and no medicines are added in these remedies.
Symptoms Seen In Babies During Cough And Chest Congestion
The symptoms of cough and chest congestion in babies are listed below but babies usually cries when they are having any kind of problem and some of the common symptoms are:-
- Rapid breathing
- Difficulty in feeding
- Runny nose
- Blockage of nose
Causes In Babies During Cough And Chest Congestion
The causes of cough and chest congestion in babies are listed below:-
- Dry air inhalation
- Change in weather (seasonal change)
- Infections (viral, bacterial)
- DNS problem (deviation in nasal septum)
- Any kind of allergy
- Asthma problem
- Any upper respiratory tract infections
Diagnosis In Babies During Cough And Chest Congestion
The diagnosis of cough and chest congestion in babies is listed below:-
- Medical history (any kind of previous allergy, infection etc)
- Physical examination (any kind of deviation in nasal septum )
- Blood tests (for checking any kind of infection)
- X-ray (for chest congestion)
Treatment In Babies During Cough And Chest Congestion
The treatment of cough and chest congestion in babies is listed below:-
- Steam inhalation
- Salt gargle
- Nebulisation if severe
Home Remedies For Cough And Chest Congestion In Babies
Home remedies help in balancing the tri dosha in the body and helps in maintaining the healthy wealth as well as the health of the patient. These are the few home remedies which will be very beneficial for the babies with cough and chest congestion:-
- Give the baby warm water baths as this will help in relieving chest congestion and helps the baby to feel little good. (warm water have effect which helps in clearing the pathway also)
- Proper and regular feedings to the baby is very essential and also do check for the urine and stool output.
- It is beneficial to add 2 drops of saline to the nostrils using a small syringe, this is very effective in cough related problems. (as helps in clearing the pathway)
- Go for steam inhalation (humidifier or running hot shower), it helps in reviving the chest congestion and cough problem.
- Massaging babies' nasal bridges, forehead, temples etc helps in reducing the congestion and helps in releasing excessive mucus.
- Usage of vacuum for cleaning pet hair, air purifiers, avoiding smoking near babies helps in this kind of problems. (to reduce the risk of any kind of infection)
- Before feeding one can use gentle suction to clear the pathway.
- Wiping excessive mucus with a soft, dry tissue or cloth.
- Chicken soup is very effective in chest congestion and cough as it helps in reducing the excessive blockage and clear up the chest congestion too.
- Giving plenty of fluids is very important as to be hydrated.
- Regular Disinfection or cleaning of doorknobs, toys, sink handles, toilet flushers etc. (to reduce the risk of any kind of infection)
- Honey is very effective in infection and sore throat and aids in relieving cough and congestion related problems.
- Applying vaporub on nose and chest helps in relieving chest congestion and also aids in clearing the pathway.
- While sleeping makes the baby it also helps in relieving the congestion and releasing excessive mucus.
In this article we discussed the cause symptoms of cough and chest congestion in babies and also the diagnosis and treatment of cough and chest congestion in babies. Some of the home remedies which are very beneficial in improving and managing the cough and chest congestion in babies, we discussed in this article. Hope you find this article helpful for you and it helps you to grab more knowledge regarding cough and chest congestion in babies. Ayurveda helps in preventing the disease with home remedies, dietary hampering and lifestyle modifications. Ayurvedic remedies help in balancing the doshas in the body and help in improving overall health of the patient. Ayurveda aids in maintaining the health of healthy patients too and relieves the symptoms of the disease.