Home Remedies for Ulcerative Colitis
Ulcerative colitis is an inflammatory disease which affects your large intestinal area and causes long-lasting inflammation and ulcer sore that produces pus and mucus. Under such condition, the immune system attacks the healthy intestinal cells and cause inflammation of those cells. It affects the innermost lining of colon and rectum and causes bleeding in the stool. It is somehow associated with another type of inflammatory bowel disease such as "Crohn's disease.
Various factors such as good diet control, immunity, inflammation and some fruits need attention. You can manage this condition up to a good extent with some of wonderful home remedies for ulcerative colitis.
Symptoms of Ulcerative Colitis
- Rectal pain
- Abdominal cramping
- Weight loss
- Abdomen pain
- Loss of appetite
- Abnormal bowel movement
- Blood in stool
Causes of Ulcerative Colitis
- Unhealthy lifestyle
- Bacterial infection
- Low Immunity
- Foreign particles
Complication of Ulcerative Colitis
- Bone loss
- Severe bleeding
- Inflammation of skin, joints, and eye
- Colon cancer
- A hole in the colon
- Blood clots in veins and arteries
- Liver infection
Home Remedies for Ulcerative Colitis
1. Coconut water
Coconut water has great healing property, it provides cooling effects to your body and helps to maintain the digestive fire and vitiated ama in the body which is the main reason for ulcerative colitis. It is the best aid for all types of digestive disorders. Coconut water reduces the swelling and also soothes the mucous membrane of the colon and rectum.
- Drink 1-2 glasses of coconut water twice daily.
- Do this for a few weeks continuously, you will definitely see some positive results.
2. Seesam leaves juice
The botanical name of the herb is Dalbergia sissoo. The plant is bitter, astringent, pungent in taste and dry in qualities and light to digest. After digestion, it converts into the pungent taste and is hot in potency. The decoction or juice made from Seesam leaves provides relief form the symptoms of ulcerative colitis. The major chemical constituents of Seesam leaves are tectorigenin, and iochanin A.
- Take few fresh leaves of Seesam tree, and crush them in the grinder by adding one cup of water in it.
- Strain and drink this juice twice daily before your meal.
- Do this regularly for few months until you get relief.
3. Pomegranate juice
Pomegranate is used for reducing the symptoms of ulcerative colitis such as dysentery, and diarrhea. Not only the juice but the tea made from leaves of this fruit also helps in treating digestion related problems. The Pomegranate also neutralize the acids in the stomach. The juice helps to reduce the inflammation in the gut and provides relief from ulcerative colitis, Crohn's disease, and IBD.
- Make a fresh juice of pomegranate.
- Drink it in the early morning before your meal
- Do this continuously for one month.
4. Fenugreek leaves and seeds
The common name of the herb is methi. It helps to protect the digestive tract by forming protective covering along the digestive tract. The mucilage in fenugreek seeds helps to reduce the symptoms such as hurt-burn, acid reflux and assist in soothing gastrointestinal inflammation and swelling in the intestinal lining.
- Soak 1-2 tablespoon of fenugreek seeds overnight.
- Drink the water in next morning with empty stomach
- Do this regularly for a few months.
Yogurt contains lots of naturally occurring probiotics that help to boost and strengthen your digestive tract. The probiotics in yogurt also maintain a healthy immune system. Yogurt provides relief from ulcerative symptoms such as indigestion, bloating, upset stomach and abdominal pain.
- Eat one bowl of yogurt in the morning daily with your breakfast.
- Do this for few months regularly this will definitely show some positive results within a few weeks.
Banana is the great option for the people who are suffering from acid reflux problem during ulcerative colitis. The pectin content in banana helps to ease the digestion related problems. Rutin is an active compound in banana which possesses anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties that are helpful for reducing inflammation in the inner lining of intestine and stomach. It is also well-tolerated fruit among all fruits and contains a variety of nutrients.
- You can eat a 3-4 or even more bananas daily as per your need.
- Continuous and regular consumption is important.
7. Rose Petal
The fresh rose petal helps to reduce heartburn and acidity. Cooling nature of rose petal is useful in relieving the burning sensation. The rose petals contain sedative, antiseptic, anti-inflammatory, and anti-parasitic properties. These petals balance the vitiated pitta in ulcerative patient and maintain the digestive fire.
- Soaked rose petals overnight in water.
- Drink the water in the next morning with an empty stomach.
- You can also chew a few rose petals daily with an empty stomach.
- Alternatively you can also make gulkand from rose petal and have it daily. This will also soothe your intestine.
8. Sandalwood powder
Sandwood contains anti-viral, anti-inflammatory and antiseptic properties. All these properties help to provide relief from intestinal inflammation and burning. You can have this power with sugar, honey and washed water of rice. It improves intestine function and show some positive effects on the digestive system. And also provides relief from bleeding and diarrhea.
- Mix Sandwood powder with 3 gram honey and sugar.
- Take this paste with rice washed water, twice daily.
9. Chamomile tea
Chamomile is an herb which has been used or consumed from centuries as a natural remedy for a variety of health-related issues. It is caffeine free and loaded with various antioxidant compounds that prevent the oxidative damages in the body due to action of free radical. The tea helps to reduce acidity problem in ulcerative patients and also inhibit the growth of bacteria which are contributes in ulcer development.
- Take few dried flower of chamomile and add them in one cup of boiling water.
- Stir for 5 minutes.
- Strain and cool down for few mints.
- Drink it twice daily (morning, evening) before your meals.
10. Carrot soup
Carrot is the good source of beta-carotene, vitamin K, fibers, potassium, antioxidants, and enzymes that aid in digestion. The carrot juice helps to protect your mucosa lining from microorganism and triggers the numbers of conditions such as ulcers, gastritis, and inflammation of gastric mucosa. This soup also provides relief from ulcerative colitis symptoms such as heartburn, abdominal pain, vomiting, and abdominal spasm.
- Take 2-3 carrot, peel them and cut into small pieces.
- Take one cup of water in pan and add chopped carrot into it.
- Boiled the carrot for 10-15 minutes.
- After 15 minutes, thoroughly crushed them in blender.
- Take a pan with few drops of sunflower oil in it and add few cumin seeds to it.
- Stir for 1-2 minutes on medium flame then add blended carrot in it.
- Cook this soup for 2-3 minutes and then strain
- You can have this twice daily.
All ulcerative colitis is a chronic inflammatory disease which disturbs your regular bowel movement. All the home remedies which are mentioned above are really very effective during ulcerative colitis and you should try them.