(Ref: Bhavaprakasa Nighantu)
Seeds of kutaja in Ayurveda are called inderjao and this herb is famous in Ayurveda for treating chronic diarrhoea and dysentery. This herb is arshoghna (treat bleeding piles) and kandhughna (treat irritation of skin) in nature. This herb is bitter and astringent in taste, light and dry in nature and cool in potency. Bark, leaves, seeds and flowers are essential used parts of this plant.
This herb is anti-diabetic, anti-fungal, anti-microbial, anti-pyretic, anti-emetic and anti-oxidant in nature. It is used to relieve chronic constipation and also good to treat bleeding piles. It is also an essential remedy for gastrointestinal problems. It is a beneficial herb that helps to boost the immune system and natural process of healing in the body.
Kutaja is basically a large shrub or glabrous medium sized tree. The Tree is covered with rough greyish or dark-brownish bark. Dark green leaves of the plant are simple, opposite, oval in shape and about 10cm long. White coloured flowers of the plant are less fragrant and about 2-3cm long. Fruits of this plant are cylindrical in shape and paired. Seeds contain numerous light brown coloured seeds that are covered with silky hair.
This plant is basically native to Asian countries and found throughout the India. In India it is wildly distributed in Himalayan regions of higher altitudes of 1100 meters above sea level. It is also found in major regions of Assam and Uttar Pradesh.
- Latin name - Holarrhena antidysentrica
- English name - Conessi tree, conessi bark
- Hindi name - Kuda, kudaiya
- Sanskrit name - Kutaja, kalling, inderjava, inderbeeja
- Telugu name - Kodaga
- Bengali name - Kurachi
- Marathi name - Kuda
- Gujarati name - Kuddo
- Tamil name - Veppalai
- Kannada name - Korachi
- Malayalam name - Kodgapala
- Urdu name - Kherva
- Punjabi name - Kenara
- Oriya name - Keruan
According to bhavprakash nighantu
According to above - mentioned verse of bhavprakash nighantu seeds of kutaja are called indrajao and kutajbeej, yav, inderyav, kaling and bhdaryav are the various synonyms of indrajao.
The bhavprakash nighantu with elaborated Hindi commentary of Padamshri Prof Krishna Chandra Chunekar and edited by Dr. Ganga Sahay Pandey edition 2010; page number - 73 and verse number - 156.
According to above - mentioned verse of bhavprakash nighantu inderjao help to pacify tridosha in the body, astringent in taste, sangrahi in nature (cure dysentery) and cool in potency. It is used to treat fever, diarrhoea, bleeding piles, vomiting, leprosy and herpes (visarp). It is also a beneficial herb for treating gout, bleeding disorders, kapha related problems and used to treat excessive pain.
The bhavprakash nighantu with elaborated Hindi commentary of Padamshri Prof Krishna Chandra Chunekar and edited by Dr. Ganga Sahay Pandey: edition 2010; page number - 73 and verse number - 158.
Uses of Indrajao (Holarrhena antidysenterica)
- A decoction prepared by inderjao and nagarmotha with honey is used to treat bleeding dysentery in small children.
- A cold decoction of inderjao with saunth is used in the treatment of bleeding piles.
- Powder of inderjao is used to treat indigestion, abdominal pain and also used to stimulate low digestive fire.
- Roasted powder of inderjao is recommended to treat vomiting.
- Powder of kutajbeej is also used to treat chronic asthma and other chronic lung disorders.
- In cases of pyorrhoea (puyedant) powder of kutajbeej is rubbed over teeth and gums to relieve pain and excessive bleeding.
Health Benefits of Indrajao (Holarrhena antidysenterica)
- Deepan-pachan - Inderjao helps to increase appetite and it help to stimulate low digestive fire. It also help to combat colic pain, flatus and abdominal distention in children.
- Jawarhara - It is also a beneficial herb to treat fever and also helps to reduce the other underlying symptoms of fever like cold sweating, excessive thirst, shivering and burning sensation.
- Krimighna - It is also used to kill harmful threadworm and ringworms present in the gut.
- Balya - Regular use of this herb help to give strength to the body. It helps to overcome general weakness and also give energy to body cells.
- Pathri - It is also a very effective herb for the sufferers of stones. It is used to treat renal stones and also good to fight against other infections associated with this essential system of the body.
- Shwaas - It helps to excrete phlegm and congestion of respiratory tract. It helps to reduce inflammation of the respiratory tract and also good for the sufferers of a chronic cough and asthma.
- Rakta-arsha - Regular use of this herb help to reduce inflammation and swelling of blood vessels in piles and it helps to treat painful and bleeding piles.
Medicinal Properties of Indrajao (Holarrhena antidysenterica)
- Inderjao is the best remedy of Ayurveda used to treat amoebic dysentery and chronic diarrhoea. It is also a useful herb for treating various gut related problems in small infants. It is used to kill harmful worms of the intestine.
- It helps to stimulate the immune system and give strength to body cells. It act as best rejuvenating agent for body cells that help repair damaged cells.
- Its anti-oxidant in nature helps to fight against various infections and free radicals. It is very useful herb for treating urinary tract infections.
- Bark powder of this herb is an herbal remedy to treat bad mouth odor, bleeding and swollen gums and also cure other dental issues.
- Inderjao is also anti-diabetic in nature. This herb helps to reduce raise level of sugar in the blood stream. It also helps to regulate the secretion of insulin in the body.
- It is also used to treat various skin conditions like eczema, scabies, fungal infections, and leprosy.
- This herb is also known to reduce pain, inflammation, and stiffness of joints and it is a beneficial herb for the sufferers of arthritis and gout.
- It helps to combat with chronic constipation and also used to treat indigestion, sour blenching and distention of abdomen.
- It helps to boost the process of healing and external paste of this herb help to treat infected wounds and oozing ulcers of the skin.
- This herb is also potent to fight against cancerous cells. It is good to treat colon, lung, breast and oral cancers.
- It helps to protect our kidneys from the action of harmful micro-organisms and renal stones.
- A decoction of this wonderful herb help to relieve ano-rectal problems.
- Cold decoction - 10-20ml
- Bark powder - 1-3gm
- Fruit powder - 1-3gm