Reference: Rasa Tarangini
Iron Sulphate is referred to as Kasis in Ayurveda. It is green in color and it is categorized under two types which are 1. Baluka Kasis and 2. Pushp Kasis. Kasis is first purified according to the apt method of purification mentioned in Ayurveda and is made into a Bhasma following the various steps involved in the process.
This Bhasma is used to ward off generalized weakness, hepatomegaly, splenomegaly, skin and eye ailments. It has a hot potency and tastes sour. Also, it helps to balance kapha and vata.
- Pure Kasis (Crystalline ferrous sulphate) - 100 grams
Method of Preparation
Triturate purified crystalline ferrous sulphate with kanji water and make fine attenuated cakes. Now heat them in a container which is shut and sealed from all sides at a temperature of 300 - 500 degree Celsius till you obtain a fine powdered substance.
- 125 mg - 250 mg two times a day.
- Stomach disorders - take it with a herbal blend of long pepper, black pepper and ginger and honey.
- Spleen and liver enlargement - honey and cow's urine
- White spots - it can be taken with Triphala (Powdered Myrobalans)
- Hepatomegaly and splenomegaly
- Digestive disorders
- Menstrual irregularities
- Eye ailments
- Skin diseases
- Immunity booster
- It should not be used if you're allergic to Green vitriol.
- Ulcerative colitis
- Hemolytic anemia
- Over dosage should be strictly avoided as it may cause severe gastritis.
- It should not be taken during pregnancy, lactation and by kids.
- It should be taken under stern medical supervision, in a precise dose and for a given duration of time.
- Though it doesn't cause any side effects if taken in the prescribed dosage but it might cause nausea and vomiting. In that case the dosage can be reduced to half for a few days and increased gradually.