Madanphala (Randia dumetorum) - Health Benefits, Uses, Medicinal Properties
(Ref: Bhavaprakasa Nighantu)
According to Ayurveda vamana karma (vomiting) is best way to eliminate kapha dosha from body in panchkarma and madanphala is considered as best vamak herb (help to induce vomiting). Bark of this plant is astringent in nature and used to cure diarrhoea and dysentery. Leaves of this plant possesses anti-inflammatory properties and are beneficial for the sufferers of gout and rheumatism. This plant contains various chemical compounds due to which it is used to cure various disorders in body.
According to Acharya charka this herb is very effective antidote for various different types of poisoning. This herb is used in asthapan and anuvasan types of vasti to eliminate harmful wastes from body. It is very effective medicinal herb to treat bronchitis, asthma and cough.
Randia dumetorum is large thorny deciduous shrub that grows up to maximum height of 5meters. Green leaves of the plant are ovate, shiny, simple, opposite and wrinkled. Flowers are present on the end of short branches and are fragrant and white in colour. Fruits are round shaped smooth berries with numerous longitudinal ribs. Fruits are yellowish-brown in colour and about 1-5cm long. Fruits contains numerous long seeds that are hard, smooth and brown in colour.
Randia Dumetorum is wildly distributed in India at higher altitudes of about 4000mt from the sea level. In Himalayas it is distributed from Jammu to Kashmir. It is also found in Bengal, Bihar, Tamil Nadu, Gujarat, Orissa, Maharashtra and in dense forests of Dehradun.
- Latin name - Randia dumetorum
- English name - emetic nut
- Sanskrit name - madani
- Hindi name - madanphala, manphal
- Assamese name - maen
- Bengali name - mianaphal
- Gujarati name - mindhal
- Kannada name - mangarikai, karrigida
- Marathi name - galphala
- Malayalam name - malamkarakka
- Oriya name - maena, madana
- Kasmiri name - madanfala
- Punjabi name - mindhal
- Tamil name - marukkarai
- Telugu name - mranga kaya, monga kaya
- Urdu name - mainphal
- Arabic name - jijulkai
- Unani name - jazulaki
According to bhavprakash nighantu
According to above mentioned verse of bhavprakash nighantu madan, chardan, pind, nut, pinditak, karhaat, maruvak, shalyak and vishpushpak are the various synonyms of herb Randia dumetorum. This herb is sweet and bitter in taste, hot in potency, light and dry in nature and it is very effective scraping agent. It is very effective emetic in nature and used to treat abscess, running nose, wounds, ulcers, leprosy, abdominal distention, abdominal tumours, and inflammation and used to cure injuries.
The bhavprakash nighantu with elaborated Hindi commentary of Padamshri Prof Krishna Chandra Chunekar and edited by Dr. Ganga Sahay Pandey: edition 2010; page number - 74 and verse number - 160 and 161.
Uses of Madanphala (Randia Dumetorum)
- Fruit is crushed and soaked in 25ml water for one hour. With the help of pestle and mortar make its fine paste and pour it with fine cloth. Mix honey and pippali in this extract obtained and this beneficial extract is used to induce vomiting.
- Fruit pulp soaked in 125ml water for 20-25 minutes and drink this water on empty stomach to induce nausea and vomiting to excrete out kapha dosha from body.
- 1-4gm of dried fruit pulp is used to stimulate sweating and to eliminate kapha dosha in body.
- 250-450mg of dried powder of Mulethi, Mandar and Madanphala is used to treat cough and asthma. It is also used to stimulate digestive fire and to cure severe headache, pain in body and to reduce inflammation of ovaries.
- Madanphala is used to cure chronic fever and bleeding diarrhoea.
- 15-60 drops of the tincture obtained from fruit pulp is used to cure chronic cough.
- Fruit bark and seeds of this plant are very effective, laxative in nature and both are used to kill worms in intestine.
- Paste of bark of the plant is used to reduce inflammation and pain in sufferers of wounds, ulcers, gout and other bones and joint related problems.
- Internal use of bark powder is used to treat dysentery, abdominal tumours, fever and gout.
- Paste of Madanphala and Kanji is applied around Umbilicus to relieve severe abdominal pain.
- Bark paste is also used to cure acne, pimples and pus granules.
- Powder of fruit pulp is rubbed over gums and teeth during teething age of infants to relieve pain and fever.
- 6gm of Madanphala powder with milk, jaggery and keshar is used to treat chronic constipation. Suppository of 1gm Madanphala with jaggery is used to induce motions in sufferers of constipation.
- Regular use of this herb helps to relieve severe inflammation of uterus and ovaries. It is also beneficial for painful mensturation and amenorrhoea in females.
- It is very effective anti-dote for snake poisoning.
Health Benefits of Madanphala (Randia Dumetorum)
- Vamak - According to Ayurveda this herb is very effective to pacify kapha dosha and used to eliminate other harmful wastes from body. It is instant herb to supress nausea and vomiting.
- Jwarhara - It help to maintain balance of all three body energies and used to cure different types of fevers caused by these doshas in body. It is also used to cure thirst, burning sensation and cold sweating in fevers.
- Shothhara - This herb is used to reduce both external and internal inflammation of body. Internally it is used to reduce inflammations associated with uterus and externally it is good to reduce redness, swelling, tenderness and stiffness of joints.
- Kupachan - It helps to lit up low digestive fire and promotes healthy digestion. It also helps to aid with various digestive tract related problems like indigestion, hyperacidity and distention of abdomen.
- Vivandhhara - This herb is very helpful to treat chronic constipation. Decoction and suppositories prepared by this herb is used to cure this serious problem in body.
- Artavjanya - Regular use of this herb help to increase both flow and volume of menstrual blood. It also help to reduce spasm, bloating, pain and headache in menstruation.
Medicinal Properties of Madanphala (Randia Dumetorum)
- Anti-bacterial nature of this herb protect our body from the attack of harmful bacteria and infections caused by these micro-organisms.
- It is also very effective analgesic used to relieve pain associated with various external and internal parts of body.
- Anti-allergic nature of this herb fights against various allergens and protect our respiratory tract from risk of various disorders. It is used to treat common cold, chronic cough, asthma and bronchitis.
- It also helps to stimulate our immune system and make our body cells capable to fight against various serious infections.
- It is also skin protective in nature. It is used to cure various skin related problems. This herb is very beneficial for the sufferers of leprosy.
- Regular use of this herb also helps to reduce high cholesterol and triglyceride level in body.
- This herb is also very beneficial to reduce pain and inflammation of various joints of body.
- For therapeutic uses - 250-500mg
- To induce vomiting - 2-4gm
- For snake poisoning - 500-1500mg