Madhukasava (Madhukasavam) - Benefits, Usage, Indications and Dosage
Madhukasava (Madhukasavam) is an Ayurvedic medicine in the form of liquid, having self-generated alcohol about 5 - 10 %, which acts as natural preservative and nourishing in nature. But this medicine must be consumed strictly under medical supervision only. Useful in the diseases related to Pitta (A physiological component of the body described in Ayurveda). Its use has been found traditionally in the treatment of chronic disease, tiredness, bleeding diseases and skin diseases.
Reference: Ashtanga Hrudaya Chikitsasthana, AFI Formulations - Volume 1
|S. No.||Name||Latin Name||Quantity|
|1.||Madhuka||Madhuca longifolia||12.288 kg|
|2.||Purified Bhallataka||Semecarpus anacardium||3.072 kg|
|3.||Vidanga||Embelia ribes||6.144 kg|
|4.||Chitraka||Plumbago zeylancia||3.072 kg|
|5.||Manjishta||Rubia cordifolia||384 g|
|7.||Honey||Ficus religiosa||1.53 kg|
|8.||Cardamom, Lotus stalk, Agaru and Sandalwood||Quantity Sufficient.|
Method of Preparation
- Coarse powder of its ingredients Madhuk, Purified Bhallataka, Vidanga, Chitraka, Manjishta are added to 36.864 litres of water. Then it is boiled and reduced to 12.288 litres and further it is filtered.
- Thus Kashayam (decoction) is prepared. Then next it is added with the other ingredients like Cardamom, Lotus stalk and Agaru, Sandalwood. All these ingredients are finally stored in a vessel, kept closed for one month.
- Within a month, the sugar in honey undergoes fermentation. Thus obtained liquid is filtered to get Madhukasavam.
This medicine has pitta pacifying properties which helps to manage the various pitta disorders. It helps to improve the digestive system and enhance the digestive fire/strength. Madhukasava has antipyretic, hepatoprotective, anti-inflammatory, analgesic properties. It is also very useful in dysentery and diarrhea. The medicinal properties this formulation offers are stimulant, demulcent, emollient, heating and astringent. It is also good for management of agnimandya/digestive impairment and emaciation, Irritable bowel syndrome and Malabsorption. It improves the nourishment and helps to gain weight. Apart from that it is also used in bleeding disorders like nasal bleeding and menorrhagia. Madhukasava is expectorant and also used for chronic bronchitis, Cushing's disease, gastritis, bronchitis, dermatopathy, rheumatism, cephalgia and hemorrhoids. The phytochemicals in the prime ingredient of this formulation are Alkaloids, Carbohydrates, Proteins, Saponins, Tannins and Triterpinoids. Use of this herb is quite beneficial in skin disease like leucoderma and also helpful in diabetes and urinary tract disorders. This formulation has miraculous effects for curing digestive disorders and also aid in healing digestive impairment.
Therapeutically this medicine has so many useful effects in disorders of Pitta dosha.
- Madhukasava has use in improving the strength of digestion.
- This Ayurvedic medicine is effective in the treatment of diabetes
- Also useful remedy for dysentery
- Good to use in the treatment of body aches
- Useful in management of skin disorders like leucoderma.
- Beneficial remedy in burning disorders
- Useful in Malabsorption syndrome
- Efficient in curing the prameha (urinary disorders)
- Also suitable in raktavikara (blood disorders), nasal bleeding, menorrhagia etc.
- It is good for management of agnimandya/digestive impairment and emaciation.
- Another use is in treating Cachexia or wasting syndrome (loss of weight, muscle atrophy, fatigue, weakness, and significant loss of appetite)
- Consume about 12 - 24 ml once or twice daily after food or as directed by Ayurvedic doctor.
- It can be consumed for a period of 2 weeks - 4 months.
- It may results in gastritis in people with sensitive stomach.
- It is not suitable for children, so must be avoided.
- In pregnancy and lactating mothers it is better to avoid or can be consumed based on doctor's prescription.
- It is to be avoided during pre-operative or post-operative stages.
- Also avoid in any incident of reaction/acidity noted after use.