Herbal Remedies for Menorrhagia (Heavy Menstrual Bleeding)
Menorrhagia is related to menstrual period in which women experience heavy menstrual bleeding and is called as abnormal uterine bleeding. This is different from normal periods as in this a person cannot continue daily activities due to severe blood loss and cramps.
In the process of menstrual cycle, there is a loss of blood every 28-35 days from the uterus due to expulsion of the inner lining of the uterus known as endometrium. This process sets off at puberty in females and continues till menopause in the mid-40s to 50s.
The things that effect our menstrual cycle are diet, Hormonal changes, lifestyle, sleep pattern and health issues. These factors also effect the body.
The normal blood flow during menstrual cycle is 30-40 ml per cycle and if this increases, it reaches to 60-80 ml per cycle. This results in heavy bleeding which give rise to the condition known as Menorrhagia.
Causes of Menorrhagia
- Hormonal imbalance: There are two main hormones that regulates the functioning of the vagina namely Estrogen and Progesterone. These two hormones build up the lining of uterus and that lining is shed during the menstruation cycle. The imbalance in the hormones may lead to excessive development of endometrium.
- Ovary dysfunction: Sometimes, the ovary does not ovulate and the body does not produce the hormone progesterone. This may also lead to Menorrhagia.
- Uterine fibroids: During the child bearing year, uterine fibroids may occur causing heavy and prolonged bleeding during menstruation cycle.
- Polyps: These are the small growths on the lining of uterus that may cause heavy bleeding.
- Adenomyosis: In this the tissue of endometrium become embedded in the uterine muscle that cause heavy bleeding and painful periods.
- Intrauterine device: This is a birth control device and is considered as a major cause of Pregnancy complications.
Symptoms of Menorrhagia
- When there is need to use double sanitary protection to control the blood flow
- Symptoms of anemia, tiredness
- Shortness of breath
- Bleeding for more than five days
- Changing tampons after every one hour
- Body ache and malaise
- Prolonged and excessive bleeding
- Abdominal cramps
Diagnosis of Menorrhagia
- Evaluation of the cervical infection
- Ultrasound can be done to evaluate pelvis organs including the uterus, ovaries and pelvis.
- A fluid is inserted into the uterus to evaluate the uterus for abnormalities. This is called sonohysterogram.
Herbal Remedies for Menorrhagia by Planet Ayurveda
There are wonderful herbal remedies like Female Health Support, Pradrantak Churna and Naari Kalyan Churna for ayurvedic and natural treatment of menorrhagia (heavy menstrual bleeding). These herbal remedies are formulated by Planet Ayurveda under the guidance of Dr. Vikram Chauhan using natural herbs and herb extract without adding any chemical preservatives and do not contain any side effect.
Let's discuss in detail the benefits and properties of these herbal remedies and the herbs that are used for the formulation of these herbal remedies.
This herbal remedy is formed using three herbs that are Arjuna, lodhra and shatavari. The barks and roots of these herbs are combined to formulate this wonderful remedy. These herbs are great hemostatic agents that can control bleeding from any site in the body. The herb shatavari is considered as the best female rejuvenating herb since ancient times. It has great importance in the Ayurvedic medicines. This herb controls the hormones and brings balance in the body and regulated the blood flow during menstruation. The herb lodhra is considered best for uterus related problems. This herb provides relief from the pain that arises due to excessive bleeding in the form of cramps.
Dose: 1-2 capsules two times a day with plain water after meals daily.
This herbal remedy is a blend of great herbs namely ashoka, udumbar, arjuna and lodhra. These herbs have marvelous blood clotting properties that helps in vasoconstriction in the blood thus reducing excessive bleeding. Ashoka is best known for its properties that help in treating all kind of female disorders.
Dose: 1-2 teaspoon 2 times daily. This can be taken with water or ice tea or any juice.
This herb is a pure mixture of ashwagandha, brahmi, jatamansi, and shatavari. All this herbs affect the mental health of the female. This is an important herbal remedy as during the time of menstruation, females get a lot of mood swings so to balance the hormones and helps to deal with depressed mood and anxiety. This herbal supplement helps to balance the personal and work life of females.
These herbal remedies are especially formulated for this particular problem keeping in mind the overall health of the women reproductive system. These herbal remedies are free from chemicals and do not have any side effects.
Dose: 1-2 teaspoon two times daily after meals.
The above stated dosage is prescribed for the females suffering from this particular problem. These are the best herbal remedies that can help to exercise control in better way without the use of any harmful medicines that causes many side effects. Also it is advised to adapt to healthy life style and include some physical activity as these factors have a great impact on this particular problem.