Reference: Bhaishajya Ratnavali, AFI Formulations – Volume 1, Agnimandya Rogadhikara (For low digestive fire)
Mustakarishta is a very efficient Ayurvedic medicine in the form of liquid. It is having bitter as well as sweet taste. Mustakarishta has properties to maintain the balance of Vata and Kapha dosha. It is traditionally being used in the treatment of digestive complaints like diarrhea, indigestion, etc. It is also known by other terms as Mustharishtam, Mustarishta, Mustarishtam, Mustakadyarishta.
|S. No.||Name||Latin Name||Part Used||Quantity|
|1.||Mustaka (Musta)||Cyperus rotundus||9.6 kg|
|4.||Dhataki||Woodfordia fruticosa||768 g|
|5.||Yavani (Yamani)||Trachyspermum ammi||96 g|
|6.||Ginger||Zingiber officinale||96 g|
|8.||Clove||Syzygium aromaticum||96 g|
|9.||Fenugreek seeds||Trigonella foenum graceum||96 g|
|10.||Chitraka||Plumbago zeylanica||96 g|
|11.||White Caraway seeds||Carum carvi||96 g|
Method of Preparation
Coarse powder of Musta is prepared and it is added to 49.15 liters of water. This mixture is then boiled and reduced to 12.288 liters and it is then filtered. This Kashayam (Herbal Decoction) is further added with Jaggery Dhataki, Yavani, Ginger, Pepper, Clove, Fenugreek seeds, Chitraka, and White Caraway seeds in a vessel.
The vessel comprising this herbal liquid mix is kept sealed for a period of one month. The sugar in Jaggery undergoes through the process of fermentation in a period of one month. After a period of a month, the contents are filtered and stored in air tight containers.
Storage: Store it in tightly closed amber colored bottle, in a cool place and protect it from light and moisture.
It is an effective Ayurvedic liquid formulation which is used for wide range of digestive disorders such as gastritis, indigestion, loss of appetite, diarrhea, IBS etc. It is very helpful to improve digestion and can be used to improve the appetite of patients who are suffering from acute and chronic diseases. This herb prevents the complications arising due to low intake of food and prevents the risk of deficiencies, also allows them to recover faster from illness. Mustakarishta acts as tonic for digestive system. It is very helpful in management of gastrointestinal disturbances. Also promotes the breakdown of food. Use of this medicine is quite beneficial in case of gastroenteritis, in which patients experience severe vomiting with diarrhea. It helps to maintain the energy level in body. Helpful in getting rid of flatulence, loose motions, indigestion, and abdominal pain. Also acts as an astringent and stops loose motions. Very effective in malabsorption syndrome by boosting the functions of digestive tract that increases the absorption of vitamins and mineral from the food. Use of this herbal supplement provides soothing and relaxing effects to the body. It also helps them to get back to the routine life to feel energetic.
- Mustakarishta is an Ayurvedic medicine which has effective use in the treatment of digestive disorders.
- Helpful in improving the digestion power and is a good for gastro-enteritis with piercing pain, anorexia.
- It can provide relief from bloating, diarrhea, and gastro-enteritis.
- Also useful remedy in case of Dyspepsia, malabsorption syndrome, IBS.
- It provides soothing and relaxing effects to the body
- Its consumption should be 12 - 24 ml once or twice a day after food, or as instructed by Ayurvedic doctor.
- In case of Children above 7 years of age it is safe to use this medicine in lower dose only.
- Over dose of this medicine may cause gastritis, therefore it is better to use this under medical supervision only.
- In pregnancy it is better to avoid or should be taken only under doctor's prescription.
- It can be taken during lactation period, because it is advised for it.