Naga Bhasma - Benefits, Usage, Indications and Dosage
Reference - Rasatantra Sar (first part); edition 13; 130 - 137.
Naga bhsama is an ayurvedic formulation which is prepared from lead. This consists of nano particle sized lead particles. Its size is up to 60 nm. This is very useful in the treatment of problems related to urinary, skin, respiratory system and liver.
- Purified lead
- Purified manashila
- Lemon juice
- Purified Sulphur
Method of preparation
- Take up to 960 gram purified lead and pore it in a pot.
- Now burn the fire under this pot.
- When it loses its hardness and changed into the liquid form, add purified manashila, in a drop wise manner while stirring. When you add same amount of manashila in the liquid, a powder is formed.
- Now put this into iron pot and place on hot fire for three hours.
- Then cool it down and strain this. You got the raw bhasma.
- Now add pure Sulphur in raw bhasma and crush this with lemon juice in mortar for six hours.
- After this dry this mixture in the sunlight.
- Then place in a container and put that container on fire. Cow dung is used to ignite the fire.
- After this process you got the naga bhasma.
Properties of Naga bhasma
Naga bhasma is fine powdered formulation which is used for the management of the frequent urination, urinary incontinence, diabetes mellitus, spleen enlargement, leucorrhoea, hiatus hernia, impotency, rheumatoid arthritis, etc. It is likely to act on the organs such as stomach, intestine, pancreas, urinary bladder, testes, bones, muscles, joints and ligaments. It is useful for the skin diseases and other many health related problems like cough, piles, urinary incontinence, impotency, diabetes etc. The ingredients used in the preparation of naga bhasma are able to balance the all three doshas i.e. vata, pitta and kapha and their related disorders. It is used to manage the blood sugar level naturally, useful in management of diabetes. Use of this bhasma is very effective in non-healing wounds, piles, malabsorption syndrome, helminthiasis, diarrhea, jaundice, skin diseases, itches, cough, asthma, whooping cough, bronchitis, emaciation, thirst, abdominal colic, obesity, anemia, rheumatoid arthritis, gonorrhea, leucorrhoea, bleeding, spitting and vomiting blood, epilepsy etc. Apart from this it is used in Impotency and increases the sexual desire, also improves the quality of sperm.
- Skin diseases
- Vomiting blood
- Urinary incontinence
75 - 125 mg, two times a day with honey, milk, mishri or butter etc. according to doctor's prescription.
- Take under medical prescription and in appropriate dose.
- Long term use of lead can create lead poisoning or kidney damage.