Organic Mood Disorder
People suffering from mood disorders have always an unstable state of emotion, which remains unaffected from surrounding circumstances. Organic mood disorder affects both the mood and emotion of the suffering individual. The certain physical problem in the brain might trigger these organic mood disorders. It is of two main types, one involving an extended period of depression and other involving depression, mania and then state of remission. This is a vicious cycle that goes on. These disorders may develop various consequences in the future. However many programs of psychotherapy have been developed for the treatment of different types of an organic mood disorder but none of them proved to be much helpful to the patients. But as causes of these disorders are becoming obvious, more options for better treatment is being developed. These disorders may interfere with the person's ability to work from day to day life.
There can be a feeling of extreme irritability, days of depression which alternates with excessive happiness, i.e. mania. Some anxiety disorders can also be the result of mood disorders in their later stages. People suffering from mood disorders may have a high risk of suicidal tendency.
What can be the Types of Organic Mood Disorders?
- Bipolar Disorder - It is also known as a bipolar affective disorder or manic depression. In this type there are alternate episodes of depression and mania.
- Major Depressive Disorder - In this type of mood disorder there is persistent and prolonged periods of sadness. Sadness can be mild or very extreme.
- Cyclothymic Disorder - Sadness can be mild to very It is less extreme in symptoms as compared to bipolar disorder. There are ups and downs of emotions.
- Seasonal Affective Disorder - It is named so as this form of the disorder is triggered and becomes apparent in a certain season. In this person feels an episode of depression late fall to early springs.
- Persistent Depressive Disorder - It is a form of long term depression.
- Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder - It can be seen a few days before the appearance of menses. There are mood swings and irritability which goes away on its own after the onset of menses.
- Disruptive Mood Deregulation Disorder - It affects children where excessive irritability can be seen. It is usually very severe and chronic. There can be a frequent outburst of the anger in children which is not consistent with the developmental age of the child.
- Depression induced by Medication or other substance use - It is a type of disorder which appears soon after exposure to certain medicines or withdrawal of certain substances or medicines.
- Depression related to Medical Illness - Certain medical conditions can be very debilitating or making a person loose hope. It can lead to depression where a person does not have any ray of hope to recover from it.
What can be the Causes of Organic Mood Disorders?
Chemical imbalances in the brain are the cause of these organic mood disorders, just like other mental disorders. Certain instances of past and environmental factors can lead to aggravation of these organic mood disorders. Outside influences can worsen the condition of the patient. These outside influences can be like extreme or persistent stress, certain situations which give person an emotional setback. Knowing the cause of the disorders more clearly can help in dealing with them and developing methods to treat these disorders.
What can be the Symptoms of Organic Mood Disorder?
Usually, the symptoms will vary depending upon the type of disorder a person is suffering from. But some the common symptoms are listed below :-
- Extreme fluctuations in the personality of the patients.
- Persistent and chronic depression.
- The patient gets easily irritated and agitated.
- A person becomes too aggressive.
- There are irrational anxieties in the patient.
Ayurvedic Interpretation of Organic Mood Disorder
As per Ayurveda there are three doshas which govern the body functions and any imbalance in these doshas can lead to the formation of disease in the body. Vata is the main dosha which becomes vitiated in these disorders. This vitiation of Vata leads to an imbalance of neurotransmitters in the brain leading to organic mood disorder.
However there are certain herbs which help in restoring the balance of Vata and treats the disease. Hence it is the most natural and specific way to eradicate the root cause and treat the disease successfully.
Planet Ayurveda is one of the renowned Ayurvedic clinics which have come up for the rescue of Organic mood disorder sufferers in a completely natural way. The herbal remedies are completely natural and made from herbs of the best quality. No chemicals, additives, dye, fillers or artificial preservatives are added to these formulations. These are purely vegetarian herbal remedies and not tested on animals.
These herbal capsules are a combination of various herbs like Brahmi, Ashwagandha, and Tagar. These herbs have a specific action on the brain. These capsule help to build up the ojas in the body and balance the Vata dosha that leads to a balance of emotions and mood of a person. Stress support capsules especially act on the nervous system and prevent damage to it due to excessive stress. It also helps to control anxiety and calms the mind.
Dosage - Take 1 capsule twice daily after meals with plain water.
Meaning - Brahmi increases memory and treats skin diseases, anemia, diabetes, blood disorders, cough, poisoning, inflammation, and fever.
Reference - Bhavaprakash Nighantu, Guduchiyadi varga, Shloka no. 271
Brahmi herb is the main ingredient of these herbal capsules. This herb is a boon for the brain and helps to treat all of its diseases. It is known as a brain tonic that calms the mind and improves the functioning and thought process. Mostly all of the symptoms of organic mood disorders can be managed by these herbal capsules to a certain level. Stress, anxiety and mental fatigue can be relieved by these herbal capsules. Along with other products of this pack, Brahmi capsules help to eradicate the disease from its root cause.
Dosage - Take 1 to 2 capsules twice daily with plain water after meal.
It is a blend of wonderful herbs which have therapeutic action on the brain. Ashwagandha, Shweta and krishnajeerak, Vacha, Ajmoda, Marich, Sonth, etc. are the herbs which have been used in the preparation of this herbal churna. Medhya churna is an effective herbal remedy that treats the symptoms of the organic mood disorders effectively.
Dosage - 1/4 spoon once daily with plain water.