Pelvic Inflammatory Disease - PID Causes, Symptoms, Diagnosis, Herbal remedies and Ayurvedic Treatment
It is most common and serious inflammatory disease in female reproductive tract which is usually caused by sexually transmitted infections (STI). This term is used to describe an infection in lower female reproductive tract that spreads upward to the upper female reproductive system. Lower female reproductive system consists of vagina, cervix and upper female reproductive system consists of uterus, fallopian tubes or uterine tubes and the ovaries. PID affects more than 1 million women each year in U.S. It can be managed with the help of Ayurvedic medicines which are safe and natural. These medicines are purely obtained from herbs like Lodhra (Symplocos racemosa), Neem (Azadirachta indica), Ashok (Saraca indica) and Udumbur (Ficus glomerata).
What is Pelvic Inflammatory Disease?
Pelvic Inflammatory Disease is commonly called PID is an infection of female reproductive organs. Pelvic inflammatory disease can lead to damage of uterus, fallopian tubes, ovaries and other parts of female genital tract which is primary cause of infertility in women. It occurs when sexually transmitted bacteria enters vagina then spread into uterus, fallopian tubes or ovaries.
Pelvic Inflammatory Disease Signs & Symptoms
Common signs and symptoms of PID may include:
- Painful intercourse
- Abnormal menstrual bleeding
- Heavy whitish discharge with unpleasant odor
- Painful urination
- Lower abdominal and back pain
Pelvic Inflammatory Disease Causes
PID is infectious disease which may be caused by number of bacteria but most commonly caused by gonorrhea and chlamydia. In normal case, the cervix prevents the entry of bacteria into other internal reproductive organs but in case of sexually transmitted disease the cervix itself gets infected and less able to prevent the entry of bacteria. About 90% of cases are because of gonorrhea and chlamydia which spread during unprotected sex.
Other causes include abortion, childbirth and pelvic procedures.
Complications Associated with PID
If pelvic inflammatory disease is left untreated then it causes severe problems like damage of reproductive organs and accumulation of infected fluid in fallopian tubes.
Some complications may include:
- Ectopic (tubal) pregnancy
- Severe pelvic pain
Pelvic Inflammatory Disease Diagnosis
Doctor may diagnose PID on the basis of signs and symptoms, a pelvic examination, analysis of vaginal discharge or urine tests.
There are some tests to diagnose the bacteria in vaginal fluid:
- Pelvic examination - In this test doctor uses a cotton swab to take sample from vagina and cervix for analysis of organism that causes infection.
- Ultrasound- It helps to create the images of reproductive organs.
- Biopsy (endometrial) - small piece of Endometrium (inner lining) is taken for testing.
- Laparoscopy - It helps to view pelvic organs for diagnosis.
Ayurvedic Outlook - Ayurvedic Treatment of Pelvic Inflammatory Disease
As per ayurveda, there are three energies - vata, pitta and kapha, which are responsible for health and health complications. According to Ayurveda, PID is due to vitiation of pitta and vata doshas. In Ayurveda, there are numerous herbs and herbal medicines which have properties to balance all three doshas. These are natural and safe medicines which are helpful in different diseased conditions.
Herbal Remedies for Pelvic Inflammatory Disease (PID)
Planet Ayurveda provides effective herbal remedies such as Neem capsules, Pradrantak churna, Nirgundi oil and Gandhak rasayan for ayurvedic treatment of Pelvic Inflammatory Disease (PID). These herbal remedies are prepared from using best quality herbs and strictly follow the principles of Ayurveda. All these herbal remedies of Planet Ayurveda are 100 percent pure, natural and vegetarian. These are free from chemicals, additives and preservatives. These are safe to use as these are free from side effects.
Neem capsules are prepared from standardized extract of herb Neem (Azadirachta indica). The capsules kill the growth of micro-organism in body. Hence give very effective results in Pelvic inflammatory disease. Neem herb contain anti-inflammatory, anti-fungal, anti-bacterial, antiseptic & analgesic properties.
Dose: 2 capsules twice daily with plain water after meals.
These are classical herbal tablets which are made from Shuddh Gandhak (Purified Sulphur). The word Rasayan means rejuvenation. It has natural property to rejuvenate the body without any side effects. Gandhak rasayan kill microbial growth in body associated with pelvic inflammatory disease. It helps to remove toxins from body.
Dose: 2 tablets twice in a day with plain water after meals.
It is an effective herbal powder formulation which is useful in different health complications mainly in females. Pradrantak churna is useful in management of different health related problems in women like painful menstruation, fibroids, cysts or other hormonal imbalance problem. It is a combination of different herbs which are explained below:
Main Ingredients of Pradrantak Churna:
- Arjuna: Its Latin name is Terminalia arjuna. The herb is native to India. Arjuna herb is used in many diseased conditions. It helps to balance all three doshas (Vata, Pitta and Kapha) in body. This herb is useful in various infectious disease like urinary tract infection and bleeding disorders.
- Lodhra (Symplocus racemosa): The bark of tree is used as a uterine tonic. It helps to manage bleeding and digestive disorders. Lodhra helps in maintaining health in women. It is beneficial in relieving gynecological problems.
- Ashok (Saraca indica): It has coolant action in body and helps in pitta aggravated states. Ashok helps to relieve from symptoms of pelvic inflammatory disease like painful menstruation, painful intercourse etc.
- Udumbur (Ficus glomerata): It has cleansing action on body. The leaf buds of Udumbur are applied on the skin, in the form of paste to improve the complexion.
Dose - 1 teaspoonful two times in a day with plain water after meals.
4. Nirgundi oil
It is an effective herbal oil offered by Planet Ayurveda which is used in various infectious disease conditions. Nirgundi oil is obtained from extraction of leaves of different herbs which are given below:
- Tila oil (Sesamum indicum)
- Manjistha (Rubia cordifolia)
- Haridra (Curcuma longa)
- Nirgundi (Vitex negundo)
- Kalihari (Gloriosa superba)
- It has anti-inflammatory properties which help to maintain inflammatory condition.
- This oil is useful in vaginal infections like bacterial vaginosis, candidiasis and trichomoniasis.
Direction for Use
It is used for external use only. Apply on affected skin area. Leave it for 10-15 minutes and wash with lukewarm water. It is more beneficial to apply Nirgundi oil before bath to reduce swelling, pain, itching and irritation.