Plandu / Onion (Allium Cepa)- Ayurvedic Properties, Effects On Doshas & Dosage
The ancient Indian Science named Ayurveda. Ayurveda provides the best natural approach to diseases and its cure. All the symptoms and investigation technique is different in each individual like we investigate the patient by Trividh Pareeksha that is darshan, sparsha, prashan, investigation of disease can be done by knowing the Nidan panchak that is nidana, poorva roopa, roopa, upshaya, samprapti and the patient’s sate can be understood by Prakriti, Vikriti, Sara, samhana, praman, Satmaya, satwa, ahar shakti, vyayan shakti, vaya, bala. Ayurvedic medicine decides the perfect medicine for the cure and gives accessible treatment. In classical Ayurvedic texts, Allium cepa is one of the most beautiful herbs mentioned by Ayurvedic Acharyas and we are going to discuss its various benefits in needful persons.
Allium Cepa is an annual herb that means a yearly spice developed eminently for its bulb which is utilised as a flavour and sauce, this herb shows various medicinal benefits so it can be used in daily life. Onion is said to be the main spice in every vegetable and many patients are also said to control their blood sugar levels along with also controlling lipid levels. This herb is also known as pyaaz commonly in Hindi, in Punjabi it is named ganda, in Malayalam, it is known as konda, in Gujarati dungli, and in English, it is said to be Bulb Onion. Onion belongs to the family of Liliaceae, genus Allium. This herb is said to be having anti-aging properties, rejuvenating, and helps in improvement in memory power.
Special Note About This Plant
- Allium cepa is a herb that is widely used in the kitchens of Indian families as a great spice in every vegetable and it also can be used as a salad in every home.
- This is commonly found all over India.
- This herb has two varieties - white and red.
- This herb consists of a pungent taste, and may have an offensive smell, plus it contains quercetin, sylapicirin as its chemical composition.
- This herb is categorised as Bhavprakash, Acharya Charak, Acharya Sushruta, as well as Vagbhata in their respective Samhitas in Shaka varga.
Shloka - 1
पलाण्डुर्यवनेष्टश्च दुर्गंधो मुखदूषकः।
पलाण्डुस्तु बुधैर्ज्ञेयो रसोनसदृशो गुणै:।।
स्वादुः पाके रसेऽनुष्णः कफकृन्नातिपित्तला ।
हरते केवलं वातं बलवीर्यकरो गुरुः।।
Reference - Bhavprakash Nighantu / Hareetkyadi Varga
Interpretation of Shloka - Plandu, yavneshta, durgandh, mukhdooshak are the synonyms of plandu. Bhavprakash has said that the qualities of Rason and Plandu are the same. The taste and after digestion give sweet rasa. This is mildly hot in potency and is used to enhances the Kapha dosha but it doesn’t increase that much pitta dosha. This is used to eliminate the Vata dosha and is helpful to strengthen and boost the immunity in the body.
Shloka - 2
श्लेष्मलो मारुतघ्नश्च पलाण्डुर्न च पित्तहृत।
आहारयोगी बल्यश्च गुरुवृष्योत्थ रोचनः।।
Reference - Charak Samhita Sutra Sthana / 27
Interpretation of Shloka - Acharya Charak has told that Plandu may increase the Kapha dosha but it helps to eliminate the Vata and Pitta dosha effectively, can be taken with food to strengthen the body and is heavy, aphrodisiac, and is helpful in enhancing the digestive fire.
Shloka - 3
रसखडयूषयवागुसंयुक्तः केवलोऽथवा जयति।
रक्तमतिवर्तमानं वातञ्च पलाण्डुरूपयुक्तः।।
Reference - Charak Samhita Chikitsa Sthana / 9
Interpretation of Shloka - In Chikitsa Sthana, Acharya Charak has told that the juice of this herb can be used with yush, ywagu, or without them, plandu juice is useful to control the Vataj condition.
Shloka - 4
पलाण्डुस्तदगुणै: न्यूनो विपाके मधुरस्तु सः।
आपहम करोति नो पित्तम् केवलोऽनिलनाशनः।।
अन्यः क्षीरपलाण्डुश्च वृष्यो मधुरपिच्छिलः।
Reference - Dhanwantri Nighantu / Karavadi Varga
Interpretation of Shloka - This herb gives a sweet post-digestion effect and aggravates the Kapha dosha and neural towards the pitta dosha so is very helpful in pacifying the Vata dosha.
- Botanical Name - Allium cepa
- Family - Liliaceae
- Genus - Allium
- Species - A. cepa
- Plandu - who helps the body to protect from various diseases
- Durgandha - having bad odour
- Onion has been cultivated for seven to eight thousand years, it is a biennial plant but almost grows all over the year, this herb only grows up to 15 to 45 cm in height.
- Leaves - yellowish to bluish in color growing the shape of a flattened fan or hollow stem. These are cylindrical with a one-sided flat edge, these grow up to the bulb. When the onion starts to get matured, the food resources of the plant start to gather in the basement of the leaf and the onion bulb will swell up.
- Its fruits are swelled and are of three compartments that are small, and consisting of black seeds.
- Its rhizome is red and white in colour and that fruit is of white colour consisting of ksheer plandu.
- Rasa (Taste) - Madhur (Sweet), Katu (Pungent), Tikta (Bitter), Kashaya (Astringent), Amla (Sour)
- Guna (Quality) - Guru (Heavy), Snigadh (Moist), Teekshan (Sharp)
- Veerya (Potency) - Somewhat Ushna (Hot)
- Vipaka (Post digestive effect) - Madhur (Sweet)
- Karma (Action) - Balances the Vata dosha
- Projyang (Part used) - Seed and Rhizome are used
Effects On Doshas
- Due to its Guru, snigadh, Madhur, and its hot potency is very helpful in pacifying the vata dosha.
- Its guru, snigdha and sweet taste will help to elevate the kapha dosha and its ushna, teekshan, katu will help to elevate the pitta dosha.
- This herb is very effective as Vrishya (aphrodisiac), rasayana (rejuvenating), prameha ghana (anti-diabetic), raktapitta hara (useful in bleeding disorders) and is helpful in Vedana shamak (relieves the pain).
- This herb is very effective in detoxifying the body, when we are lacking exercise, or have bad dietary habits, that will build up toxins in the body.
- This herb consists of amino acids which help the body to improve digestion and expel unwanted substances from the body.
- This herb also provides us better immunity because of the richness of Vitamin C which will build a strong immune power in the body.
- As we all know this herb is added to every Indian vegetable to easily digest the food and enhance the taste of food.
- Nowadays, onion juice is getting famous to provide strength to the hair and also for empowering the growth of the hair. It is also useful in controlling dandruff.
- It has already been demonstrated that Onions consist of cell reinforcements. Collection of perilous variables in our skin that are the main reason for Ageing. Antioxidants and anti-toxious qualities of Onion help continuously and gradually lessens the progress in years process.
- This herb is said to be the best herb for vata pacification and for vata-related disorders.
- In the respiratory system, teekshan and snigdha guna help to liquify the mucus.
- Due to its sharp qualities, it also works as a diuretic.
- Due to its sweet taste, moisturise and heavy properties help to strengthen the patient, and is Ojo Vardhan that can be correlated with promoting immune health.
- The decoction and juice of the rhizome can be taken as in the quantity of 10 to 30 ml.
- The powder of seeds can be taken as 1 to 3 gram.
- If the dosage exceeds the above-mentioned dosage then it can show its symptoms by reducing the medha shakti or memory power.