How To Prevent Heart Attack With Ayurveda?
The rate of heart patients is increasing day by day. This is all because of a bad lifestyle and bad dietary habits. Due to luxurious life the physical activities of people becomes less and ultimately they are prone to many health conditions especially heart disorders. As we all know that the heart is a beautiful organ and it is very important to take care of our heart. This is a muscular organ located just behind the back bone and slightly towards the left. It is about the size of the fist. The function of this organ is to pump the blood through the network of arteries and veins which is called the cardiovascular system. This organ has four chambered i.e. upper right and left atrium and lower right and left ventricle. Due to sedentary lifestyle and increasing the consumption of street food, cardiovascular diseases become the most common cause of death worldwide. So in this article, we will discuss how to prevent heart attacks with Ayurveda.
Heart attack is also known as myocardial infarction. It occurs when the blood flow decreases or stops to a part of the heart. This will result in damage to the heart muscles. The most common symptom of heart attack is chest pain and chest discomfort. When there is a blockage in the coronary artery by a rupture of atherosclerotic plaque then it may lead to the heart attack.
Now we will discuss the Ayurvedic aspect of heart diseases. As per our Acharyas, they mentioned the hridya roga in their respective texts. Acharya Charak clearly mentioned that consumption of too hot and too rough diet, excessive use of astringent food, unfavourable food, overeating, excessive exercise and indulge in too much grief and fear, suppress the natural urges, excessive consumption of bitter taste food items, over consumption of heavy foods, over emaciation, eating over indigestion can lead to heart problems. After the consumption of these food items a person will face the problems such as aruchi (anorexia), kaphotklesha (nausea), swasa and kasa (dyspnea and cough), urahshoola (chest pain), chardi (vomiting), hikka (hiccups), trishna (polydipsia), daha (burning sensation over body), pramoha (stupor), murcha (fainting). These all are the causes and symptoms of heart diseases.
Etiology / Causes
The most common cause of heart attack is coronary artery disease. A buildup of fatty deposits called plaques can narrow the arteries of the heart and cause heart attacks. It usually occurs when one or more coronary arteries become blocked. During attack, a plaque can rupture and other substances into the bloodstream and if the blood clot is large, It can block the flow of blood through the coronary arteries and starve the heart for oxygen and nutrients. These causes will lead to heart failure which is known as heart attack.
Clinical Features / Signs and Symptoms
Chest pain which is radiated to left shoulder to arm and chest discomfort are the most common symptoms of heart attack. Other symptoms of this condition are:
- Tightness, pressure, aching sensation in chest or arms
- Cold sweating
- Sudden dizziness
- Shortness of breath
The risk factors for this disease are:
- Family history
- Lack of physical activity
- Consumption of high fatty food items
- Tobacco and alcohol consumption
- High blood pressure
- High cholesterol level
- High blood sugar
Heart attack is misdiagnosed with:
- Gastroesophageal reflux
- Pulmonary embolism
The disease is diagnosed by some lab and imaging investigations. Tests to diagnose this condition include:
- Electrocardiogram (ECG)
- Chest X-ray
- Cardiac CT and MRI scan
- Certain blood tests like lipid profile, trop T test, etc.
Ayurvedic Management For Heart Attack
In Ayurveda, we can follow the following treatment method:
- The treatment for this disease is Nidanparivarjan (Abstinence of etiological factors). This is known as Ardha chikitsa (Half treatment) and this is the first and foremost treatment method.
- Ask the patient to get proper rest (physically as well as mentally) for improving healthy heart function.
- Give proper dietary regimen to the patient to avoid excessive accumulation of fatty substance.
Other Treatment Protocol
- Samshodhan Chikitsa
- Samshaman Chikitsa
1. Samshodhan Chikitsa
This is known as detoxification therapy. It includes:
- Snehana (medicated oil massage)
- Vamana (induced vomiting)
- Mridu virechana (light purgation)
2. Samshamana Chikitsa
This is known as conservative management and is a very important treatment procedure for treating heart disorders. Acharyas mentioned the following herbal medicines for the treatment of hridya roga:
Rasa / Bhasma / Pishti
- Nagarjunabhra Rasa
- Hridyarnav Rasa
- Chintamani Rasa
- Mukta Pishti
- Jawahar Mohra
- Vishveshwar Rasa
- Trinetra Rasa
- Kalyansundar Rasa
- Akik Pishti
- Hridroga Vati
- Prabhakar Vati
- Shankar Vati
- Pippali Churna
- Pushkarmool Churna
- Arjuna Churna
- Haritkyadi Churna
Kwath / Aasava / Arisht
- Shunthi Kwath
- Pathyadi Kalka
- Pushkaradi Kwath
- Ballabh Ghrit
- Haritkyadi Ghrit
- Punarnavadi Ghrit
- Arjuna Ghrit
- Shwadanshtadhya Ghrit
- Baladhya Ghrit
Some Lifestyle And Dietary Tips To Take Care Of Your Heart
- Intake of healthy diet: A person can have a healthy diet to maintain the proper functioning of the heart. Reduce salt intake in diet and also consume fat free diet. This further leads to increased cholesterol levels in the blood. One must also avoid taking canned and processed food. Consume apple, cherries, avocadoes, spinach, swet potato, carrots etc.
- Do regular physical activity: Just do exercise daily for a minimum 30 minutes. It reduces the risk of heart attacks because physical activity can burn the excessive fat from the body and also help in reducing excessive cholesterol levels in the blood. It also improves the blood circulation in the body and strengthens the heart muscles.
- Avoid alcohol and smoking: A person who is a chain smoker and chronic alcoholic is at higher risk to develop heart diseases. This habit decreases the count of platelet cells that further leads to the formation of thrombus and causes atherosclerosis.
- Reduce stress: Stress is the most common cause of heart disorders and even many other diseases so it is very important to calm down the mind to avoid stress. To reduce stress, do meditation for at least 15 minutes a day. Taking stress increases the level of cholesterol and triglycerides in the blood. It also increases the corticosteroids secretions that further suppress the immune system.
- Reduce weight: People with overweight are at higher risk for developing heart problems. Overweight can lead to an increase in the cholesterol level in the blood because of excessive accumulation of saturated fat. This further leads to atherosclerosis in the arteries of the heart, so one must reduce the weight to avoid heart attacks.
Herbal Formulations For Healthy Heart By Planet Ayurveda
We have wonderful herbal remedies for heart disorders. Planet ayurveda is a herbal company that provides effective herbal products. These products are 100% natural and vegetarian and also free from chemicals and additives. These herbal formulations are made under the guidance of expert Ayurvedic physicians and made according to ancient time tested formulas and also made from the extracts of potent herbs. Planet Ayurveda provides Heart Care Pack for heart disorders which includes:
- Arjuna Capsules
- Arjuna Tea
- Total Heart Support
1. Arjuna Capsules
This is a single herb formulation of Planet Ayurveda. It is the best herbal supplement for heart problems. These capsules are made by using the extracts of Arjuna (Terminalia arjuna) and are the best for every cardiac disorder. It is useful in blocked coronary arteries, high cholesterol and low HDL levels. This herb improves the pumping activity of the heart and improves cardiac muscle strength.
Dosage: 2 capsules twice a day after meals with plain water.
2. Arjuna Tea
This is 100% herbal caffeine free exotic herbal tea. It helps in maintaining the blood pressure and strengthens the heart muscles. This herbal tea is made from herbs such as Arjuna (Terminalia arjuna), punarnava (Boerhavia diffusa), pipal tvak (Ficus religiosa), dalchini (Cinnamomum zeylanica), choti elaichi (Elettaria cardamomum) and these herbs contains cardiac glycosides, antioxidants properties. It improves the health of cardiac muscles and removes the blockage from the arteries.
Dosage: 1 cup twice a day.
3. Total Heart Support
This is an effective herbal supplement for heart care. This herbal formulation is a very effective, safe and natural supplement for the heart. The ingredients in this formulation give strength to the heart muscles and help in cleansing of the arteries such as arjuna (Terminalia arjuna), ashwagandha (Withania somnifera), Brahmi (Bacopa monnieri), Shankhpushpi (Convolvulus pluricaulis). It removes the blockage from the arteries and prevents heart attack.
Dosage: 1 capsules twice a day after meals with plain water.
To buy Heart Care Pack, please visit store.planetayurveda.com/products/heart-care-pack.
Heart attacks are the major concern in today’s time. It becomes one of the common causes of deaths worldwide and this is all because of bad lifestyle and bad dietary habits. But we can manage this problem with Ayurveda as this is the oldest holistic medical science that treats the diseases from its root cause. So by following the above tips and also the herbal formulations of Planet Ayurveda, we can treat ourselves from heart problems. We just need to maintain a proper diet and a proper lifestyle to overcome these life-threatening diseases and live a happy life.