Psoriasis is the persistent long lasting disease. It is a common skin condition that changes the life cycle of skin cells. It's a non-contagious inflammatory skin disease characterisized by reoccurring reddish patches covered by silvery scales occurs especially on the scalp, ears, genitialia and the skin over bony prominence.
In Ayurveda any skin disorder classified as khustha-Roga. Psoriasis resembles Ek-Khustha and kitbha khustha. In Ek-Khustha in this type of khustha the skin looks like fish skin or there is an absence of sweating. In Kitbha-Khustha the effected part of skin turn into greyish-black, rough like a wound.
According to Ayurveda, when vata and kapha dosha vitiated they toxify the masha dhatu and rakhta dhatu then the symptoms of psoriasis appears.
What are the causes of Psoriasis?
The exact cause of Psoriasis is not known but it is a result of several factors like genetic, environmental and immune system.
Factors that may triggers the Psoriasis:
- Infections such as throat or skin.
- Heavy Alcohol consumption.
- Emotional Stress.
- Certain Medication: Such as medication for high blood pressure (Beta-blockers), anti-malarial drugs.
What are the Risk Factors for Psoriasis?
- Family History: Family history plays an important role in Psoriasis. If one parent is having psoriasis then chances is less or if both parents have this disease then the chances may increase.
- Viral and Bacterial Infections: Children who are prone to throat infection, are at the high risk of having this disease. HIV positive patients are also at the high risk.
- Stress: Stress effects the immune system due to that high risk of psoriasis.
- Obesity: Plaque associated with all the psoriasis often develops in skin creases and folds.
- Smoking: Smoking plays role in the initial development of disease.
What are the sign and symptoms of Psoriasis?
The sign and symptoms of Psoriasis varies from person to person but may include one of the following:
- Red color patches covered by silvery scales especially on scalp, ear and gentialia area
- Thickened, pitted nails or ridged nails
- Cracked, dry skin.
- Swollen and stiff joints.
What are the different types of Psoriasis?
- Plaque Psoriasis: It is the most common type of Psoriasis. Plaque Psoriasis causes dry, crack and red lesions on the skin covered with silvery scale. It causes itching and pain. It may occur in any part of the body.
- Nail Psoriasis: This type of psoriasis effects the fingernails and toenails. It causes discoloration, pitting and overgrowth of nails.
- Scalp Psoriasis: Psoriasis on the scalp may appear red, itchy areas with silvery scale.
- Guttate Psoriasis: It mainly effects young children specially suffering from throat infection. It seems like small water dropped sours on the arm, legs and trunk.
- Inverse Psoriasis: Fungal infection may trigger these type of Psoriasis. It mainly effecting the skin in the armpits, in the groin, under the breast and around the gentialia, it causes smooth patches of red inflamed skin.
- Pustular Psoriasis: This is uncommon form of psoriasis occurs in smaller areas of hand, fingertips. It generally develops quickly with pus filled blisters appearing just an hours after skin become red and tender.
- Erythrodermic Psoriasis: It is a very rare type of Psoriasis seen in patients.
- Psoriatic arthritis: In addition to the symptoms of Psoriasis there is also swollen and painful joints hence it is called Psoriatic arthritis. It may cause stiffness and progressive joint damage that may lead to permanent deformity.
What are the complication of Psoriasis?
- Eye Disorders: Certain eye disorders like conjunctivitis, blephritis, uveitis etc.
- Type 2 Diabetes: The more severe the psoriasis, more likely the risk of type 2 diabetes increase.
- Other Autoimmune Disease: Celaic disease, chron's disease are more likely to strike the people having Psoriasis.
- Parkinson's disease: There is a high risk of neurological disease to people having psoriasis.
- Metabolic Syndrome: People with having psoriasis are on high risk of psoriasis.
How to diagnose the Psoriasis?
- Medical History and Physical examination (exam. Especially of skin).
- Skin Biopsy (rarely doctor do this test, to rule out the type of psoriasis and other disorders also).
Herbal Remedies for Psoriasis by Planet Ayurveda
Planet Ayurveda provides best combination of effective herbal remedies such as PSORA Care Pack for ayurvedic and natural treatment of psoriasis. These herbal remedies are prepared from using best quality herbs and strictly follow the principles of Ayurveda. All these herbal remedies of Planet Ayurveda are 100 percent pure, natural and vegetarian. These are free from chemicals, additives and preservatives. These are safe to use as these are free from side effects.
Dosage / Usage
- Navkarshik Churna - 1 teaspoonful twice daily with plain water after meal.
- Radiant Skin Hair Nail Formula - 2 capsules twice daily with plain water after meal.
- Neem Capsules - 1 capsules twice daily with plain water after meal.
- Manjishtha Capsules - 2 capsules twice daily with plain water after meal.
- Pitta Balance - 1 capsules twice daily with plain water after meal.
- Lippu Oil - Apply Locally on the lesions, after bath, expose to Sun light for 3 minutes.
- Psorolin Ointment - Apply locally on the lesions at night.
1. Navkarshik Churna
It is a purely herbal formulation without any chemical added in it. It consists of various herbs Amla, Haritaki, Bahera, Vacha, Neem, Majistha, Kutaki, Giloye and Daruharidra.
Benefits: It contains triphala which helps to remove the toxins from the body and strengthen the immune system also. It relieves the vatta dosha and removes the toxins from the body. Neem, kutaki, majistha purifies the blood and corrects the metabolism of the body. Giloye act as an immunodilator and improves immunity whereas Daruharidra acts as anti-inflammatory herb.
2. Radiant Skin Hair Nails Formula
It helps to maintain healthy skin, hair and nails. It consists of Majistha, Pit papada, Chirata, Ghritkumari.
Benefits: Majistha is popular herb for lymphatic system, it facilities the cells and remove toxins from the body. It has a rejunevative property, in treating skin disorders. Pit-papada has an anti-inflammatory and analgesic property. Chirata is balances the three doshas of the body. It also act as an anti-inflammatory, anti-viral and anti-oxidant. Ghritkumari is an adaptogen that balances the body's system, stimulating the defense and adaptive mechanism of the body. It is also known as a vulnerary, (helps to heal the wound). It also helps in rejuvenating the skin. It helps supply oxygen to the skin cells, increasing the strength and synthesis of skin tissues and improves the blood flow.
3. Neem Capsules
Neem Capsules contain neem leaves (Azadirachta indica), which are rich in fibers and carbohydrates.
Benefits: It is very effective for skin problems. It is beneficial to alleviate the disorders Pitta, Vatta and Kapha doshas. It acts as a blood purifier as well as an anti-oxidant. It boosts up the immune system also. It also act as anti-arthritic it relieves from inflammation and pain.
4. Pitta Balance
In the case of psoriasis, a compromised digestive system leads to an increase of pitta dosha into rasa dhatu. So pitta balance capsules alleviate excess of pitta in body and help in management of psoriasis.
5. Manjishtha Capsules
Manjishtha (Rubia cordifolia) is a herb that helps to pacify the vitiated Kapha and Pitta. It is mainly Pittahara. It is one of the best herb used for blood purifying and removes toxins from the body. It has ability to penetrate into body tissues where reactive toxins have accumulated. It binds with the toxins and neutralizes their damaging effect. This super herb aids in removing toxins from the blood and in cleansing the lymphatic system. It helps to boost your immunity and increases the white blood cells of immune system. Manjishtha could increase the amount of white blood cells up to 151% and it has been considered one of the advantages of taking Manjishtha, particularly if you are aiming to boost your immune function. Immune system is impaired in Psoriasis. So cap. Manjishtha is very beneficial for management of Psoriasis.
6. Lippu Oil
Lippu oil is an extract of Pongamia glabra (karanj) in coconut oil. The seeds of Pongamia tree yield an essential oil, which contains the chemical constituent karanjin. Karanjin has insecticidal and microbial properties. Lippu Oil is a perfect solution to the problems of Dry skin. It offers quick recovery by control of itching, lichenisation and prevents further damage to the epidermis in Psoriasis. It effectively controls Trans Epidermal Water Loss and moisturizes the skin.
7. Psorolin Ointment
Psorolin Ointment is very effective during the scaling stage of psoriasis. It controls hyperkeratosis. It contains Wrightia tinctoria oil extract and Cynodon dactylon oil extract.
- It retards cell division and inflammatory process.
- It controls hyperkeratosis.
- Reduces scaling quickly.
Where to buy PSORA Care Pack?
To buy PSORA Care Pack, please visit store.planetayurveda.com/psoriasis-care-pack.html