Herbal Remedies for Receding Gums
Receding gums is a periodontal disease. Periodontal disease is caused due to infections and inflammations of the gums (pink tissues in the mouth that meet the base of teeth and is highly supplied with blood vessels) and bone that surrounds the teeth. Its early stage is gingivitis (where there is swelling and red gums which may bleed further), Than it causes serious form periodontitis. This condition is more common in males than females. Gingival recession is when the apical margin is away from the occlusal surface. Gums are mucosal tissue that lies over the mandible and maxilla inside the mouth. There are various warning signs such as : loose teeth, painful chewing, swollen gums, and bad breath. In this topic we will discuss its causes, risk factors, herbal remedies, and prevention of this disease in detail.
Receding gums are a condition in which the gums pull back from the tooth surface and expose the root surface. When there is recession of gums the teeth and the gum line make it easy for the deposits of bacterial infection to build up, is a common dental problem. The main characteristic of gingival recession is migration and later it gets displaced from the cementoenamel junction which further exposes the root surface. This is mainly due to poor oral hygiene which leads to tooth loss.In this condition bacteria in the mouth infect the tissue leads to inflammation which further causes periodontal disease, when bacteria stays for long period of time they form plaque which hardens and causes tartar they spread to gum line and makes teeth harder to clean. And creates a breeding site of many bacteria and plaque.
- Periodontal disease is not limited to eldrly people
- It can be hereditary
- Periodontitis is linked to many ailments such as diabetes (as diabetic patients are more prone as it is unable to maintain the regular glucose level), Cancer (as it increases the overall cancer risk), stroke (risk of getting ischemic stroke).
- Gum disease is contagious - As bacteria can be passed to another saliva and can be spread from person to person.
- Dairy products helps to prevent periodontal disease (as they are rich in calcium so prevents many gums disease)
- Chronic bad breath is a sign of gum disease (as bacteria produces foul breath).
- Pregnant women who have high risk of gum disease put their child at high risk as in later stages bacteria reaches the bloodstream and causes problems once they reach the placenta.
Causes Of Receding Gums
- Poor oral hygiene (deposition of plaque causes tartar which leads to gum recession)
- Physical wear of the gums and inflammation
- Vigorous use of teeth brush
- Misaligned teeth (they put force on the gums and bone which causes recession of gums).
Tongue or lip piercing (they rub the gums and irritate them)
- Occlusal trauma
- Periodontal treatment- It is mainly due to surgeries such as curettage and surgeries
- Hardened plaque buildup (tartar)
- Family history of gum disease
- Hormonal changes in females- as fluctuation during lifetime such as in puberty, menopause makes gums more sensitive and makes vulnerable to gum recession.
Symptoms Of Receding Gums
- Bleeding after brush
- Bad breath
- Loose teeth
- Exposed tooth roots
- Swollen gums
- Sensitivity to heat, cold, sweets.
- Pain and discomfort near gum line
- Certain medication causes dry mouth
- Bridges that doesn't fit properly
- Crooked teeth
- Use of contraceptives pills
- Topical antibiotic gel
- Antimicrobial mouthwash
- Surgery - There are 2 options: Flap Surgery and Grafting.
- Flap surgery - Is a deep tissue cleaning and gets rid of bacteria and tartar which is built up, in this gums are lifted up and then put back in a place.
- Grafting - The main goal is to revive the tissues, in this procedure a piece of bone or tissue helps to grow back gums. In soft tissue grafts the flap of skin is cut from the roof of the mouth and tissue from under the flap called subepithelial connective tissue. During another graft the gingival graft tissue is directly taken from the mouth.
- Brush your teeths twice a day
- Floss once daily
- Don't smoke or chewing of tobacco
- Dental recommendation for deep cleaning
- Use of soft bristle toothbrush
- Use of antimicrobial mouthwash twice daily.
Gingiva is the part of gums around the base of teeth and inflammation of gingival is known as gingivitis. This is a common form of periodontal which is followed by redness, inflammation, and irritation of the gums. It is most common in kapha rakta vyadhi and pitta dosha can be a major cause for gum bleeding. It is the second most common oral disease worldwide. Due to vitiation of kapha and rakta dosha they get lodged in the softest part like gum where they reduce the firmness of muscular tissues and vessels beneath start bleeding and the condition is known as sheetada. This can be due to certain medications like aspirin, and deficiency of Vitamin C. It can be caused due to
- Poor habits of oral care
- Ill fitting dentures
- Viral and fungal infections
- Crooked teeth
- Old age
- Idiopathic thrombocytopenia purpura
- Vitamin C and Vitamin K disorder
- Shodhana - Here there is purification of the body by emesis (vamana) and mild purgation (virechana) balances the imbalanced doshas.
- Kavala and gandhush - The medicated oil and paste made by bitter and astringent herbs strengths the gums.
- Rakta Sravana - Bloodletting should be done after scrubbing of gums.
- Pratisarana with pippali, trikatu.
Home Remedies For Receding Gums
- Use of salt water rinse - As it has antibacterial properties so salt water is beneficial in inflamed and sore gums.
- Drink green tea - Green tea helps to keep bacteria under control in the mouth, so helps to enhance gum and tooth health. Neglect using sugar as it gives bacteria to grow.
- Oil pulling - Coconut oil is natural antiseptic as it helps to reduce plaque buildup, controls bacterial growth and reduces the symptoms of gum disease.
- Rinse with hydrogen peroxide - It is helpful in swollen gums.
- Maintain oral hygiene - Simple brushing and flossing help to maintain gums and teeth healthy.
- Aloe vera - As aloe vera has medicinal property so it is useful in inflamed gums and shows improvement in periodontal condition.
- Turmeric gel - Turmeric has anti inflammatory and antioxidant properties so it helps to prevent plaque and gingivitis.
- Septilin - It is a multi herbal preparation of guggul, guduchi and many more which prevents periodontal diseases. It is available in both tablet and syrup form.
Herbal Remedies For Receding Gums By Planet Ayurveda
Planet Ayurveda is of the reputed firm which prepares ayurvedic medication under strict guidance of M.D experts. The formulations prepared are free from any preservatives, colors, resins and dyes. They are 100% natural vegetarian products which show great relief to patients without any side effects to live a healthy life. Here we will discuss GUM CARE PACK along with IRIMEDADI OIL which is formulated by Planet Ayurveda.
1. Gum Care Pack
- Gum Care Powder
- Coral Calcium Complex
- Arjun Saar
2. Irimedadi Oil
Dosage / Usage
- Gum Care Powder - Massage your teeth and gums gently 3-6gm and then rinse it with lukewarm water after 2 minutes.
- Coral Calcium Complex - 1 capsule twice daily after meals with plain water.
- Arjun Saar - 20 ml with equal water twice daily.
- Irimedadi Oil- 5-10 ml of oil in mouth and gargled for 5-10 minutes.
1. Gum Care Powder
It is blend of herbal powder which is formulated by Planet Ayurveda using ingredients like- Sonthi (Zingiber officinale), Haritaki (Terminalia chebula), Poog (Areca catechu), Lavang (Syzygium aromaticum) and many more. It helps to maintain healthy gums and teeth, in case of pyorrhea or bad breath.
2. Coral Calcium Complex
Coral Calcium Complex are poly herbal capsules formulated by Planet Ayurveda using ingredients like Coral (Praval pishti), Agate (Akik pishti), Pearl (Mukta pishti) and many more. As these capsules contain calcium so it is beneficial in tooth problems and maintains healthy muscles, nerves and immune system.
3. Arjun Saar
Arjun Saar is one of the formulations of planet ayurveda in the form of juice which consists of Arjuna (Terminalia arjuna), Amla (Emblica officinalis). Commonly used in heart diseases and maintains balance on three doshas (vata, pitta, kapha). It has antioxidant, anti-inflammatory and antimicrobial properties. Amla improves cardiac activity and modulates immunity whereas Arjuna stops clotting and treats blood clotting disorder.
4. Irimedadi Oil
Irimedadi is a herbal oil formulated by planet ayurveda consisting of ingredients as- Lohdra (Symplocos racemosa), Manjistha (Rubia cordifolia), Mulethi (Glycyrrhiza glabra), Agaru (Aquilaria agallocha) and many more. This herbal oil is very useful in tooth decay, pericoronitis, gum abscess, and burning mouth syndrome. It is very useful in sinusitis,relieves bad breath, and removes stains.
Receding gums is a periodontal disease. Receding gums are a condition in which the gums pull back from the tooth surface and expose the root surface. This is mainly due to poor oral hygiene which leads to tooth loss. In ayurveda it is due to imbalance of kapha and rakta dosha, which causes bleeding gums and inflammation. So Planet Ayurveda formulated gum care packs which are beneficial to patients and provide relief.
Dr. Meenakshi Chauhan
MD (ALT. MEDICINE) View Profile