(Reference: Bhaishajya Ratnavali, Pleeharoga (Spleen disorders)
Rohitakarishta is a polyherbal Ayurvedic medicine which is used in the treatment of liver and spleen disorders. This medicine acts as the blood purifier. Major ingredient of this medicine is Rohitaka (Tecomella undulata). This herb is loaded with the numerous medicinal properties which is quite beneficial for the treatment of liver, blood and spleen disorders. Rohitakarishta is a fermented liquid preparation and contains 5 - 10 % of self-generated alcohol. On the other hand, this Ayurvedic medicine helps in the treatment of digestive and heart related problems.
|S. No.||Name||Latin Name||Part Used||Quantity|
|1.||Rohitaka||Tecomella undulata||4.8 g|
|2.||Pippali||Piper longum||Fruit||48 g|
|3.||Pippali mool||Piper Longum||Root||48 g|
|4.||Chavya||Piper cubeba||48 g|
|5.||Chitraka||Plumbago zeylanica||48 g|
|6.||Shunti||Zingiber officinalis||48 g|
|7.||Cinnamon||Cinnamomum verum||48 g|
|8.||Cardamom||Elettaria cardamomum||48 g|
|9.||Patra||Cinnamomum tamala||48 g|
|10.||Triphala – Haritaki, Vibhitaki and Amlaki||Triphala - Terminalia chebula, Terminalia bellerica and Emblica officinalis||48 g each|
|11.||Dhataki||Woodfordia fruticosa||768 g|
Method of preparation
- Coarse powder of Rohitaka - Tecomella undulata - (4.8 kg) is made and added to 49.152 liters of water.
- Boiled the mixture and reduced to 12.288 liters.
- Filtration is done and water extract of herbs (decoction) is prepared.
Thus obtained water extract of herbs (Decoction) is added to above mentioned other ingredients.
- All these ingredient are taken in a clean vessel and kept closed for a period of about one month.
- During this period, the sugar in the jaggery undergoes fermentation and Rohitakarishta is prepared.
- 15 - 25 ml mixed with equal water once or twice daily after food or as directed by Ayurvedic doctor.
- It is used in the treatment of splenomegaly and other spleen related problems.
- It is effective to treat abdominal colic.
- It is used in the treatment of liver disorders, ascites, piles, sprue, and jaundice.
- It is beneficial in skin diseases, anorexia and inflammatory conditions.
- Useful in anemia.
- Higher doses of this medicine may lead to gastritis problems like burning sensation in stomach.
- People with sensitive stomach should not take this medicine as it may worsen gastritis symptoms.
- So it is advisable to take this medicine under medical supervision.