Samudra Fen (Sepia officinalis) - Health Benefits, Uses, Medicinal Properties
(Ref: Bhavaprakasa Nighantu)
According to above mentioned verse sepia is an animal product but it float over the surface of water like foam.
This animal product is obtained from the Cuttlefish and it is called Cuttlefish bone. After the death of Cuttlefish large number of bones floats over the surface of sea and it looks like thick froth all over the surface water of the sea. These bones are about 2.5 to 9.5 cm broad and 12 -24 cm long. This Cuttlefish bones are long, flattened, oval or elliptical, ivory white in colour, hard, smooth and rough from the edges. External layer of sepia is very hard and internally it is very soft. It is tasteless and very piercing in nature.
It contained 80% calcium carbonate and other chemical compounds present in this product are phosphate, sulphate and silica.
Purified form of sepia is used to treat various disorders. Lime juice is used in the process of purification of this animal product and make it efficient to treat various problems associated with different organs of the body.
Sepia is dry by nature and astringent in taste, cool in potency and it is good stimulant for digestive system, appetizer and is very effective product that is used as scraping agent to excrete out kapha dosha from body.
- Latin name - Sepia officinalis
- Hindi name - Samudra fen
- English name - Cuttlefish bone
- Bengali name - Samudrer Phena, Samudraphela
- Gujarati name - Samudraphina
- Kannada name - Samudra nalige
- Punjabi name - Samudrajhag, Samundarjhag
- Tamil name - Kadala neere
- Telugu name - Samudra Punarugu, Soru penaka
- Marathi name - Samudraphen
- Arabian name - Jabdul Baher, Jubadullahere
According to Bhavprakash nighantu
According to above mentioned verse of Bhavprakash nighantu samudraphena, fen, hidheer and abidhkapha are the various similar names of Sepia officinalis. It is a good scraping agent, beneficial for ear and eyes related problems, cool in potency, pacifies the kapha dosha and expel it out from body, astringent in taste. It helps to treat the poisoning and also helps to pacify aggravated pitta dosha in body.
The Bhavprakash nighithantu with elaborated Hindi commentary of Padmashri prof Krishna chander chunnekar and edited by dr. Gangasahay Pandey: edition 2010; page number- 56; verse number- 117 and 118.
Uses of Samudra Fen (Sepia officinalis)
- Fine powder of sepia is used to treat ear infections and used to cure infectious secretions caused by these infections. It is also used to relieve ear ache.
- Paste prepared by using Sepia powder and lime juice is used externally to treat acne, eczema, pigmentation and other skin related disorders.
- Powder of Sepia is also used to treat mouth, teeth and gum related problems.
- Due to its scraping nature this product is also beneficial for treating various eye related disorders and give better results. It is used internally as anjana and externally in form of paste to relieve various ocular region related problems. Samudraphena with rose water and black salt is used to relieve burning sensation and conjunctivitis.
- Beneficial oil obtained from this animal product is used to treat ear infections.
Health Benefits of Samudra Fen (Sepia officinalis)
- Netra roga - Sepia is very effective remedy for treating various kinds of problems associated with eyes. It is good to fight against various infections that causes irritation and discharge in eyes.
- Gulma - this product is also very effective remedy for abdomen related problems. Due to its piercing nature it helps to treat abdominal tumours and also helps to treat underlying symptoms of this problem.
- Paleeha vridhi - it is also potent to relieve the inflammation of spleen and also fight against other problems related with this vital organ of our body.
- Visha and rakta pitta - it also helps to treat bleeding disorders and also fight against toxicity and various other types of poisoning.
- Karan pakka - it helps to fight against various fungal infections that caused ear discharge.
- Vivandha - it is also good for the sufferers of constipation and also aid with abdominal distention, abdominal pain, and flatus and bloating.
Medicinal Properties of Samudra Fen (Sepia officinalis)
- Antiseptic, anti-fungal and anti-bacterial nature of Sepia helps to protect our body from the attack of infections caused by various micro-organisms.
- Fine powder is Sepia is sprinkled over ulcers and helps to quick healing and also helps to relieve pus and discharge of ulcers.
- It is also good for treating premenstrual syndrome and other underlying symptoms associated with this syndrome like fatigue, cramps, bloating, headache and abdominal pain. It is also used to relieve swelling of genital organs.
- Powder of Sepia is used to relieve toothache and other dental carries.
- It helps to expel out extra kapha and phlegm and it is very effective remedy for the asthmatic sufferers. It is also good to treat other problems associated with the respiratory tract.
- It is also beneficial for treating irritable bowel syndrome.
- Powder of Samudrafen with rose water is used to aid with the severe burning sensation of body.
250mg to 1gm