Saptavinshati Guggulu - Benefits, Usage, Indications and Dosage
Reference: Bhaishajya Ratnavali, Bhagandara Chikitsa
Saptavinshati Guggulu is a famous Ayurvedic guggulu tablet used in quick healing of wounds, sinuses, skin diseases, etc. The word Samptavinshati means, it has seven ingredients. It is named Guggulu because the guggulu is the main ingredient of this tablet. Interesting fact about Saptavishanti Guggulu is, most of the other guggulu products are used in treating joint conditions, blunt injuries etc. But this is used in haematological conditions.
Ingredients used in Saptavinshati Guggulu
- Shunthi (Zingiber officinale)
- Marich (Piper nigrum)
- Pippali (Piper longum)
- Haritaki (Terminalia chebula)
- Bibhitaki (Terminalia belerica)
- Amalaki (Emblica officinalis)
- Kushtha (Saussurea costus)
- Vidanga (Embelia ribes)
- Amrita (Guduchi) (Tinospora cordifolia)
- Chitraka (Plumbago zeylanica)
- Shati (Hedychium spicatum)
- Ela (Elettaria cardamomum)
- Pippali mula (Pippali) (Piper longum)
- Havusha (Juniperus communis)
- Suradaru (Devadaru) (Cedrus deodara)
- Tumburu (Tejovati) (Zanthoxylum aromaticum)
- Pushkara (Saussurea costus)
- Cavya (Piper refrofractum)
- Vishala (Rakta Indravaruni) (Citrullus colocynthis)
- Haridra (Curcuma longa)
- Daruharidra (Berberis aristata)
- Vida Lavana
- Sauvarcala Lavana
- Yavakshara (Yava) (Hordeum vulgare)
- Sarjika Kshara (Svarji Kshara)
- Saindhava Lavana
- Gajppali (Scindapsus officinalis)
- Shuddha Guggulu (Commiphora wightii)
Method of Preparation
Crush good quality of Shuddha - Guggulu, add fine powder of other mixed ingredients to it and pound well. Add Ghrita in small quantity at regular intervals for smooth pounding and continue pounding till a semi-solid uniformly mixed mass of suitable plasticity is obtained. Roll this into form of tablets on flat surface to round them by circular motion of palm covered with a glove and smeared with Ghrita or use suitable mechanical device. Dry these rounded tablets or Vatis in a tray-dryer at a temperature not exceeding 600 for 8 to 10 h.
3 grams, once or twice a day, or as directed by physician. It can be given along with honey.
- Piles, fistula, ulcers
- Heart problems like angina pectoris, pain in heart
- Epilepsy, psychosis
- Skin problems
- Respiratory problems like asthma, cough, and sinus
- As it is safe for short term use and use under medical supervision.
- Its overdose may cause worsening of gastritis.
Note - Best to avoid this product in children, pregnant ladies and lactating mothers.