Ayurvedic Treatment for Schizophrenia
Nowadays human beings work like a machine. They do not take proper rest. Due to which they are suffering from physical and mental fatigue. People suffer from different mental disorders. Schizophrenia is one of the mental disorder which is common all over the world. About 1% of adults suffer from this problem. It is characterized by distorted thinking, abnormal behavior of individual.
According to Ayurveda, the mental health is a state of mental, spiritual and intellectual wellbeing. Ayurveda is an ancient medical science that deals with different diseases in natural way. There are many herbs which are used in Ayurveda to manage mental problems. These herbs are Brahmi (Bacopa monnieri), Mulethi (Glycyrrhiza glabra), Vacha (Acorus calamus), Ashwagandha (Withania somnifera), Ajmoda (Carum roxburghianum), Shwet jeerak (Cuminum cyminum), Krishna jeerak (Carum carvi), Sonth (Zingiber officinale), Marich (Piper nigrum), Pippali (Piper longum) and Patha (Cissampelos pareira) and these also support the good health of brain.
What is Schizophrenia?
Schizophrenia is a serious mental disorder in which person has difficulty to think properly. The person has difficulty to distinguish between reality and imagination. It is often shown in adolescence or early childhood. They have difficulty in expressing normal emotions.
What are the Schizophrenia Signs and Symptoms?
Schizophrenia Symptoms may vary from person to person. The common Schizophrenia signs and symptoms are explained below:
The symptoms are categorized into three categories:
1. Positive symptoms:
People with positive symptoms may lose their belief in reality. Symptoms may include:
- Thinking disorders
- Disorders related to body movements.
2. Negative symptoms:
In this there is disruptions to normal emotions and behaviors. Symptoms may include:
- Reduced feeling of happiness in their life, reduced normal expressions (flat affect) like facial or voice tone.
- Reduced speaking.
- Excessive sleep or insomnia.
3. Cognitive symptoms:
These symptoms may include memory related problems. Symptoms may include:
- Problems with working memory.
- Difficulty in focusing.
- Poor functioning i.e. inability to understand information.
What are the Schizophrenia Causes
The exact cause of Schizophrenia is unknown. It may be due to several factors which are given below:
- Birth defects
- Drug abuse
- Environmental factors
- Psychological factors like stress, depression, anxiety
- Imbalance of neurotransmitters
Schizophrenia Ayurvedic Outlook
As per Ayurveda, Schizophrenia is known as Unmaad. It is similar to atatwabhinivesh in Ayurveda. According to Ayurveda there are three physical energies (vata, pitta and kapha) are responsible for healthy life. Imbalance of any psychic energies (satva, raja, tama) supported by imbalance of physical energies (vata, pitta, kapha) are believed to cause various mental disorders like schizophrenia. According to Charak, the person who has vitiated doshas evade the person's brain whose mind is under rajasik and tamasik influences and block channels of mind and nerve impulses. It affects the functioning of brain and intelligence. In that case person fails to differentiate between real and imaginary world. To manage Unmaad there are many herbal formulation present in Ayurveda that detoxify and clear the blockage in brain. These products act naturally and have no side effects.
Management of Schizophrenia in Ayurveda
Ayurvedic medicine is a holistic approach for management of mental disorders from mild stress to severe condition. Ayurveda employs several therapies like meditation, medicines or spiritual therapy for management of mental disorders. Ayurveda first works on the balancing of all three energies including psychic and physical energies.
Herbal Remedies for Schizophrenia by Planet Ayurveda
Planet Ayurveda provides effective herbal remedies such as Brahmi Capsules, Medhya Churna, Stress Support Capsules & Ashwagandha Capsules for Schizophrenia treatment in Ayurveda . These herbal remedies are prepared from using best quality herbs and strictly follow the principles of Ayurveda. All these herbal remedies of Planet Ayurveda are 100 percent pure, natural and vegetarian. These are free from chemicals, additives and preservatives. These are safe to use as these are free from side effects.
1. Brahmi Capsules
Brahmi capsules are the wonderful herbal formulation of Planet Ayurveda and are quite effective to manage the brain disorders. These capsules are 100% pure and prepared from the pure extracts of herb Brahmi (Bacopa monnieri).
Brahmi (Bacopa monnieri) is the herb, used in the formulation of Brahmi capsules. This herb has the great medicinal importance from ancient times. It helps to manage various neurological problems.
- It has anti-oxidant properties which helps to remove toxins from body.
- Brahmi gives positive effects on nervous system that helps in increasing the brain activity.
- It act as tranquilizer and enhances mental capabilities of person.
- The herb has positive effect on memory.
- It helps to provide relief in the symptoms associated with schizophrenia like depression, anxiety, lack of concentration, hallucinations and sleeping problems.
Dosage - 1 capsule twice daily with plain water after meals.
2. Medhya Churna
Medhya churna is powder formulation by Planet Ayurveda. This is 100% pure and natural product free from any side effects. It is an amazing blend of various herbs which are given below:
- Vacha (Acorus calamus)
- Ashwagandha (Withania somnifera)
- Ajmoda (Carum roxburghianum)
- Shwet jeerak (Cuminum cyminum)
- Krishna jeerak (Carum carvi)
- Sonth (Zingiber officinale)
- Marich (Piper nigrum)
- Pippali (Piper longum)
- Patha (Cissampelos pareira)
- Shankhpushpi (Convolvulus pluricaulis)
- Brahmi (Bacopa monnieri)
Herbs used in the formulation of medhya churna are packed with amazing properties like these support the good brain health and help to provide the relief in the symptoms associated with schizophrenia like depression, anxiety, lack of concentration, sleeping problems and hallucinations. This herbal formulation for schizophrenia by Planet Ayurveda is very effective to resolve the problem of psychosis and gives satisfactory results in patients.
Dosage - 1/4 teaspoon once daily with 1 spoon of Cow Ghee (Clarified Butter).
3. Stress Support
This is special capsule that is a mixture of natural ingredients named as Ashwagandha (Withania somnifera), Tagar (Valeriana wallichii), and Brahmi (Bacopa monnieri).
1. Ashwagandha (Withania somnifera):
It is also known as Indian ginseng.
- It is beneficial for the nervous system.
- This herb possesses anti-inflammatory, anti-stress, immunomodulatory, antioxidant properties.
- It is useful to increase mental and physical performance.
2. Tagar (Valeriana wallichii)
It is also called Indian valerian belongs to family valerianaceae which is native to India, Nepal and China.
- It calms down down nervous system.
- It helps to relieve symptoms associated with schizophrenia like stress, depression and lack of concentration etc.
3. Brahmi (Bacopa monnieri)
This herb is used from ancient time for Ayurvedic treatment of mental disorders. Planet Ayurveda prepared Brahmi capsules from standardized extract of herb Bacopa monnieri.
- It has positive effect on nervous system.
- The capsules enhance physical and mental performance.
- It is quite useful in various mental illnesses.
- Brahmi capsule calms down nervous system and fights against depression.
- It maintains the coordination between nervous system components.
Dose - 2 capsules twice daily with plain water after meal.
4. Ashwagandha Capsules
These are pure natural capsules that are obtained from standardized extract of herb Withania somnifera (Ashwagandha). It is cultivated in drier region of India. This herb is nontoxic that works to normalize physiological functions of neuroendocrine system.
- It possesses natural rejuvenating properties.
- The capsules are used in fatigue, stress and weakness conditions.
- It has positive effects on nervous system.
Dose - 2 capsules twice daily with plain water after meals.
Diet and Lifestyle to Manage Schizophrenia
- Take proper diet.
- Take proper rest.
- Eat fresh fruits and vegetables.
- Avoid to keep awake at night.
- Do physical exercise.
Dr. Meenakshi Chauhan
MD (ALT. MEDICINE) View Profile