Self-Healing Acupressure Therapy And Its Benefits
Acupressure is an ancient alternative healing therapy and part of traditional Chinese medicine that has been around for more than 2000 years. Acupressure is also promoted by another ancient alternative system of medicine, i.e. Ayurveda. This healing therapy has gained more popularity since the last few decades. Acupressure helps in relieving pain, anxiety and stress and also gives a practicing person a sense of well being and calmness. Acupressure is many times confused with another term, Acupuncture. However acupuncture therapy involves use of needles at certain points in the body to relieve pain, whereas in acupressure no such needles are used and only pressure is applied at certain points.
Acupressure literally means finger pressure which is a form of touch therapy. It uses the basic principles of Chinese medicine, i.e. Acupuncture and its base is the pressure principle. The concept of this alternative healing therapy is based on life energy which is considered to be flowing through the meridians (natural pathways) inside the body. This energy is a way of sending signals to the body. This energy or vital force is also called qi. When there occurs any blockage in this qi or vital force, it causes illnesses, pain and imbalance in the body. Acupressure helps in the healthy flow of this energy and blood circulation. This therapy causes release of natural pain killers, i.e. endorphins in the body which relieves pain and stress naturally. Acupressure also acts as effective stimulation that helps in relaxation of the muscles and maintain the improvement with very less chances of recurrence of the complaints. In this treatment, on specific points the physical pressure is applied to clear the blocked qi. It helps in returning the body to its natural form of well being by restoring the functional imbalances. In Acupressure different types of movements of fingers are involved on various acupoints to put pressure on certain points on the body of the patient during the session. Traditional Chinese physicians practice this healing art as a massage therapy session or people practice these as self treatment for certain illnesses and pains. Acupressure can be used to treat migraines, headaches, pain in joints, pain in other body parts, anxiety, stiffness, acidity or other digestive troubles, stress, insomnia, motion sickness, tension and pain in muscles, morning sickness, nausea and vomiting during pregnancy, and to treat side effects of chemotherapy.
In acupressure a relaxing and calm environment is created and the patient is asked to concentrate on breathing. Therapist uses firm and deep pressure to stimulate and massage each point. Patient is asked to close eyes and breathe deeply while pressure is applied. Therapist uses the thumb to massage the point in up, down or circular motion. This massage is done for 1-2 minutes.
Benefits Of Acupressure
There are many proven health benefits of this ancient healing therapy, i.e Acupressure. Let's learn about some of them:
- General well being - As acupressure includes application of light pressure on specific points or areas on the body which are connected to different muscles and organs. When qi is blocked it causes illnesses and pains in the body and acupressure relieves these blocked qi through the meridian in the body and treats the pain and ailments.
- Faster healing - As acupressure helps in releasing the tension of the muscles, enhances the qi or vital force of the body and promotes healthy blood circulation. All of these things eventually help in healing the body faster from any kind of illness.
- Calms you down - Stimulation of the pressure points present in the body helps in improving the functioning of the mind and hence making you calmer. As the blocked meridians are unblocked with the help of this Chinese traditional therapy, you are capable of taking and dealing with more stress eventually you feel relaxed and calm.
- Treats pain - Using Acupressure in case of pain anywhere in the body like headache helps in relieving it without you taking over the counter medicines. When pressure is applied on certain points it helps in opening the blocked meridian and releasing endorphins which relieves pain. Also it helps in improving blood circulation which helps in pain relief.
- Facial muscles toning - Acupressure also has cosmetic benefits as this therapy helps in toning of the facial muscles by stimulating blood circulation that eventually helps in collagen production. All these things altogether help in toning up your face and beat the aging signs.
- Muscular tension releases - Acupressure stimulates the action of the nerves that supplies to the muscles and helps in relieving tension. Stress level is also brought down by this therapy which relaxes the body and muscles.
Does Acupressure need special training?
Yes, just like other therapy training, acupressure also requires a proper course or training programs that make a person specialized in doing this therapy. There are various institutes or acupressure schools which teach it in special acupressure classes. There is a curriculum offered by each acupressure school however in general there are certain subjects which are taught like anatomy, physiology, acupressure points and meridians, neuromuscular techniques, health, hygiene and contraindications etc.
Adverse Effects Of Pressure On The Wrong Points
Usually there are no side effects of acupressure done correctly. However if wrong points are pressed or therapy is not done properly than there can be certain adverse effects like:
- Discomfort, slight pain or tenderness in treated area
- Dizziness or lightheadedness
- Indentations from the devices used in acupressure
- Treated area can develop redness
- Excessive pressure can cause bruises
Acupressure is an amazing way to treat many health ailments in a very natural way without using the medications. However you should always consult a qualified and experienced therapist to obtain full advantage of it and avoid any kind of side effects. This alternate Chinese medicine form can do wonders when used correctly. I hope all the information provided here will help you in restoring your health balance without turning towards any chemically loaded medications. Always choose natural ways to treat ailments as they are best!