Reference: Rasa Tarangini 12/105 – 107
Shringa Bhasma, an Ayurvedic medicine having its origin from animal and it is prepared from horn of Deer Here Shring means horn of Deer and is counted as tonic acting as a remedy for respiratory disorders. Shringa Bhasma appear as a white odorless powder, having same taste as that of chalk It comprises of calcium, carbonates, magnesium, sulphates, chlorides, potassium, tannins and proteins.
It can maintain balances of Vata and Pitta Doshas. It has properties Expectorant Mucolytic, Antitussive, Bacteriostatic, Antibacterial, Antimicrobial, Mild Anodyne and also Mild Antipyretic and is good for of heart burn, gastric pain, abdominal colic and asthma.
- Deer Horn
- Latex of Arka (Callotropis procera)
- Consume about 250 mg - 500 mg once or two times a day before or after having meals or as recommended by Ayurvedic doctor.
- Traditionally it is being taken along with ghee or honey.
Method of Preparation
First of all horn of Deer is cut into small piece and is then burnt in open air. Then grinding it to get powder to which latex of Arka (Callotropis procera) is added. This is again ground well, formed into disc shaped cakes, dried, and burnt in the absence of air at a temperature of 800 – 900 degree Celsius. It is then kept for self-cooling. This method is repeated three times to finally get Bhasma.
Shringa Bhasma chiefly acts as expectorant and mucolytic.
Its other medicinal use are like:-
- Respiratory diseases - Asthma, difficult breathing Cough, Pleurisy/ Pleuritis (inflammation of the pleura, the lining surrounding the lungs)
- Also provides strength the bones, joints, cartilages.
- Cardiac colic
- Abdominal distension and intestinal rumbling and gastritis.
- Useful remedy in reducing anorexia
- Intercostal neuralgia,
- Heart burn etc.
- Contraindication in case of dry cough as it produces dryness in the airways, which can further aggravate the dry cough
- Practicing Self-medication with this bhasma might be a risk.
- Have accurate dose this medicine and for restricted period of time, as directed by doctor.
- Keep it out of approach and vision of children.
- Store in a dry cool place