(Reference: Ayurveda prakasha 2/327)
Shukti bhasma is an Ayurvedic preparation from Pearl Oyster. These pearl oysters are found in Indian Ocean. Shells of oyster are processed as per Ayurvedic texts to create calcinated shells. It is also known as the Mukta Shukti Bhasma. This Ayurvedic medicine is used in treatment of gastritis, abdominal colic and anorexia etc. This medicine should only be administrated strictly under medical supervision.
This Shukti bhasma is used as a natural source of calcium. It is also used as an ingredient in many Ayurvedic medicines which are used for improving bone strength. It also contains the calcium phosphate, calcium carbonate, magnesium oxide, aluminum oxide and organic matter.
Purified Pearl Oyster
Method of preparation
- Purified Pearl Oyster pieces are grinded and made into fine powder.
- It is heated in absence of air at 800 – 900 º C for 2 – 3 hours.
- This process is repeated for three times, to get white colored Shukti bhasma (Pearl oyster Calx).
125 - 250 mg once or twice in a day before or after food or as prescribed by your Ayurvedic doctor. It is traditionally administered along with butter, honey, milk and ghee.
- Use of this medicine is good in calcium deficiency like rickets and arthritis.
- It is also used in the treatment of chronic fever and cough.
- This is an excellent medicine to treat the peptic ulcer, vomiting, hyperacidity, dyspepsia, gastritis and abdominal colic.
- It is used to treat the cardiac diseases.
- It is useful in urinary calculi.
- It is quite beneficial in the management of cardiac diseases like blockage in coronary artery.
- It is used to treat the splenomegaly.
- This medicine should only be taken strictly under medical supervision.
- Self-medication with this medicine is dangerous.
- Over-dosage may result in the severe side effects.
- Take this medicine in precise dose and for limited period of time, as suggested by doctor.
- Keep this medicine out of reach and sight of children.
- Store in a dry cool place.