Neuralgia is a condition of a sudden, painful attack as a result of a change in neurological structure or function due to irritation or damage to the nerves without stimulating pain receptor cells which affects the cranial nerves. The severe pain or mild burning sensation may occur on the face and inside the mouth.
It is broadly classified into four types:
- Trigeminal Neuralgia
- Glossopharyngeal Neuralgia
- Occipital Neuralgia
- Post herpetic Neuralgia
About Trigeminal Neuralgia
Trigeminal neuralgia or tic douloureux is a most common form of neuralgia that occurs due to the inflammation or compression of trigeminal nerve by an artery or a vein that frequently causes severe facial pain. It mostly affects the elderly people and generally affects right side of the face. The facial pain may occur after every few hours, minutes and seconds.
(Trigeminal nerve is the fifth and largest cranial nerve that is responsible for facial sensation and transmit the sensation from the brain to mouth, teeth, face and nose.)
Causes of Trigeminal neuralgia
Though the exact cause of trigeminal neuralgia is idiopathic or unknown, according to some research it is caused due to traumatic damage to the nerves which passes from the skull and reaches to the tissues and muscles of the face. The damage to these nerves results in compression of the nerve which leads to the symptoms.
Other causes you may see and feel are as follows:
- Biological changes in nerve
- When an abnormal blood vessel, aneurysms or tumor constricts the nerve which exits from the brain it causes trigeminal neuralgia.
- The excessive nervous activity from a damaged nerve causes the painful attacks.
- Some kind of inflammatory ailments such as multiple sclerosis, sarcoidosis and lyme disease can also be a reason for trigeminal neuralgia
- Due to accident or trauma which damages the nerves or compresses the nerves may also lead to this disease.
- Tongue piercing is also a reason of trigeminal neuralgia.
- Touching the skin lightly
- Brushing teeth
- Blowing the nose
- Drinking hot or cold beverages
- Encountering a light breeze
- Applying cosmetics
Symptoms of Trigeminal neuralgia
- Occasional twinges of mild to moderate pain
- Onset of severe, shooting, throbbing pain like electric shock
- Bouts of pain lasting from a few seconds to several days, weeks, months or longer
- Pain focused in one spot or spread in a wider pattern
- Attacks becoming more frequent and intense over time
- Pain affecting one side of your face at a time
- Pain in areas managed by the trigeminal nerve, including the cheek, jaw, teeth, gums, lips, or less often the eye and forehead
Complications of Trigeminal neuralgia
- The pain can be severe and distressing. If untreated, pain may cause depression. Irritation or anxiety.
- Patient may neglect brushing teeth or eating or drinking due to the fear of triggering the pain. This can lead to weight loss, weakness and poor oral hygiene.
- In most cases where neuralgia is caused due to pressure from a blood vessel, there are no complications affecting the trigeminal nerve or affecting the brain.
- In rare cases where trigeminal neuralgia occurs as a result of another condition, then various other symptoms and problems of that condition may develop. For example, as mentioned, a rare cause of neuralgia is multiple sclerosis. In this situation, other symptoms and problems associated with multiple sclerosis are likely to develop.
Trigeminal neuralgia is correlated to Anantvaat in Ayurveda. This is a typical vata vyadhi means vata among all three doshas is aggravated and cause blockage of channels around face and head.
Herbal Remedies for Trigeminal Neuralgia by Planet Ayurveda
Planet Ayurveda provides best combination of effective herbal remedies such as Trigeminal Neuralgia Care Pack for natural treatment of trigeminal neuralgia. These herbal remedies are prepared from using best quality herbs and strictly follow the principles of Ayurveda. All these herbal remedies of Planet Ayurveda are 100 percent pure, natural and vegetarian. These are free from chemicals, additives and preservatives. These are safe to use as these are free from side effects.
- Ashwagandha Capsules - 1 capsules with plain water, after meals.
- Hakam Churna – 1 tsp. with plain water, after meals.
- Yograj Guggul - 2 tablets with plain water, after meals.
- Boswellia Curcumin - 2 capsules with plain water, after meals.
1. Ashwagandha Capsules
Ashwagandha Capsules is a multipurpose herb although the main function of ashwagandha is to treat stress related disorders and neurological disorders. Ashwagandha combats your stress by decreasing cortisol production. It encourages hormonal balance and reduces the hot flashes, anxiety and mood swings. This is very beneficial for proper functioning of nervous system. It possesses anti stress, anti-depression properties and rejuvenates the brain functions. It provides excellent results in relieving pain and weakness.
2. Hakam Churna
Hakam Churna is another herbal remedy from the house of Planet Ayurveda which you can use for trigeminal neuralgia. It is perfect blend of herbs, Lepidium sativum (Chandershoor), Nigella sativaa (Kalonji), Trigonella foenum graecum (Methi) , Trachyspermum ammi (Ajwain). This helps to digest ama that is root cause for all the diseases and deals with pain and weakness due to its best anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties.
3. Yograj Guggul
Yograj Guggul Tablets is a herbal formulation comprised of ingredients such as Shudh Guggulu (Commiphora mukul/herbal extract), Chitraka (Plumbago zeylanica), Pippali (Piper longum), Jeeraka (Cuminum cyminum), Devdaru (Cedrus deodara), Ela (Eletteria cardamomum), Amalaki (Emblica officinalis), Mustaka (Citrus rotundus), Haritaki (Terminalia chebula), Ardraka (Zingiber officinale) etc.
Yograj guggul is widely used for the treatment of vata and kapha related disorder. Gum, resin and volatile oil are the active ingredients for more medicinal effects. It is primarily used to treat a variety of musculo skeletal and nervous disorders. Trigeminal neuralgia is a painful condition of the facial muscle accompanied by inflammation, burning sensation and stiffness, limiting the facial movement and mobility. Yograj guggul reduces pain, swelling and flushes out the toxins out of the body. It is beneficial in abnormal ligament and tendon tear.
4. Boswellia Curcumin
Boswellia Curcumin Capsule is one of the most effective combinations of anti-inflammatory and natural analgesic herbs. It is a mixture of Boswellia serrata (shallaki) and Curcuma longa (haridra). Herbs not only relieve the joint pain but also helpful in reducing inflammation and therefore improve flexibility. These herbs also increase local circulation and promote healthy functioning of organs.
To buy Trigeminal Neuralgia Care Pack, please visit store.planetayurveda.com/products/trigeminal-neuralgia-care-pack.
- Prepare fresh juice of carrot. Carrot is a rich source of Vitamin A, Vitamin C, Vitamin B2, Vitamin B5 and folic acid. Drink this juice at least once a day.
- Almond has Vitamin B, Vitamin E and antioxidants in large quantity. It helps nervous systems and ensures synthesis of hormones and enzymes for proper functioning of neural system. Almond milk can be taken be taken daily.
- Prefer eggs, fruit juice, leafy green vegetables, milk, whole grains, mint leaves etc.
- Use three to four cloves of garlic with olive oil and take it two times daily. This will surely reduce swelling and increase blood circulation in the body
- Drink turmeric half tsp in a glass of lukewarm milk daily once or twice.
- Totally avoid all kind of junk and packed foods.
- Apply castor oil on your affected facial region to prevent swelling and treating the damaged muscles. This oil is also beneficial to improve the elasticity of the skin.