Yashtimadhu (Glycyrrhiza Glabra) - Health Benefits, Dosage, Medicinal Properties
(Ref: Bhavaprakasa Nighantu)
Yashtimadhu (Glycyrrhiza Glabra) is very amazing and miraculous herb of Ayurveda best used to treat inflammation of throat. Glycyrrhiza means sweet roots, and these roots are used to treat various disorders. Due to its very effective properties it is used to treat throat, eye, stomach and urinary tract related problems. It is very effective anti-inflammatory herb and potent to aid with various disorders like fever, asthma, cough, tiredness, weakness and excessive thirst.
It is also very effective anti-aging herb. Its regular intake helps to boost our immune system and overall general health.
Glycyrrhiza is herbaceous perennial shrub that attains maximum height of 6 feet. It contains pinnate leaves with 10-15 leaflets, leaves are about 10-15 cm long. This plant contains purple to pale whitish coloured flowers. Fruits are oblong pods that contain several seeds inside it. Roots are light brown in colour and used for various medicinal purposes.
Licorice is native to south Western Europe, Mediterranean regions and some parts of Asia. It is also found in America and Australia. This plant grows in the warm and temperate regions of the world.
- Latin name - Glycyrrhiza Glabra
- English Name - Licorice
- Hindi name - Mulhathi, Mulethi, Mithilakdi, Jethimadh
- Bengali name - Yashtimadhu
- Malayalam name - Jestimadh
- Kannada name - Jeshtmadhu
- Telugu name - Yashtimadhukam
- Punjabi name - Muleti
- Marathi name - Malhathi
- Tamil name - Atimadhuram
- Farsi name - Asrehmehak, Bikhemehak
- Arabic name - Aslusoos
According to Bhavprakash Nighantu
According to above mentioned verse of Bhavprakash Nighantu Yashtimadhu, Yasthimadhuk and Kalitak are the various synonym of Glycyrrhiza Glabra. There is another type of Mulethi which is found and that grows in water and Kalintak & Madhulika are names of that type of Mulethi. This herb is sweet in taste, heavy to digest and cool in potency. It help to nourish body cells, improve skin complexion, good for eyes, and increase sperm quality, good for hair and throat related disorders. It helps to pacify Vata Dosha and good for treating bleeding disorders. It is used in the treatment of wound, ulcers, inflammation, vomiting, thirst, weakness and very helpful herb used in degeneration disorders.
The Bhavprakash Nighantu with elaborated Hindi commentary of Padamshri Prof Krishna Chandra Chunekar and edited by Dr.Ganga Sahay Pandey: edition 2010; page number- 62 and verse number - 145-146.
Uses of Yashtimadhu (Glycyrrhiza Glabra)
- Expectorant nature of this herb helps to excrete out phlegm and congestion and give relief from various respiratory tract problems. It is good for improving voice hoarseness (swarbhang), cough (kaas), inflammation of respiratory tract (shwasnikashoth) and throat inflammation (gal shoth). Small Mulethi stick is chewed and swallowing of juice slowly helps to relieve voice hoarseness.
- Decoction prepared by Licorice sticks also helps in throat infections.
- It is also used in the treatment of painful micturition and other infections associated with urinary tract.
- It is also used to relieve acid reflux (Amalpitta). It helps to neutralize the effects of harmful acids that cause gastritis and abdominal pain.
- It is used to treat wasting disorders (kashkshin), blood vomiting (raktavaman), heart disorders (hridyaroga) and epilepsy (apasmaar). Licorice along with honey and ghee is used in the treatment of all these disorders.
- According to Shushrutsamhita, Licorice is mentioned in the treatment of full body paralysis (sarpoghatsahminya).
- Liquorice paste with ghee is applied locally over wounds for quick healing. Paste is prepared by using milk, sesame seeds and liquorice and applied locally to relieve excessive burning sensation caused by Bhilava (Semecarpus Anacardium).
Health Benefits of Yashtimadhu (Glycyrrhiza Glabra)
- Balya - This herb helps in the nourishment of body cells and tissues. It is also good for treating weakness and tiredness.
- Rasayana - Regular use of this herb helps to attain longevity, complexion and youthfulness. This herb also helps to boost our general health, energy level and stamina.
- Kaphashamak - It bronchodilator nature helps to relieve congestion and it excretes out phlegm. It is very beneficial for treating various respiratory tract disorders.
- Swarya - This herb is again very beneficial for our throat and other problems associated with it. It helps to sooth our throat and used in the treatment of inflammation and hoarseness of throat.
- Netrya - It is also good for treating eye related problems. Its calming effect helps to promote the overall health of eyes. Its external uses help to prevent deep pigmentation and dark circles around the eyes.
- Mutrajanan - Licorice is also good for increasing the frequency and volume of urine. It is also beneficial for treating dysuria and other urinary tract infections.
- Stanyavardhak - Chewing of raw Licorice helps to increase the milk in the lactating mothers.
- Sothhara - Its use helps to prevent both internal and external inflammation in body. Its cooling properties also help to relieve excessive burning sensation of skin.
- Varn-ropan - External paste of Licorice applied locally to reduce pus discharge from wounds and it helps in the quick healing of both ulcers and wounds.
Medicinal Properties of Yashtimadhu (Glycyrrhiza Glabra)
- Licorice extract is very effective remedy for treating intestine and stomach associated problems. It is very beneficial herb for heart burn, acid reflux, bloating, indigestion and constipation. It helps to sooth mucus membrane and intestinal lining. It is good to reduce spasm of abdomen and it is good to reduce severe abdominal pain.
- Flavonoids present in this herb also help to reduce excessive accumulation of fat in body and it help to reduce extra weight. It is also good to reduce raised cholesterol level in body.
- Anti-inflammatory and anti-spasmodic nature of this herb is also good to treat various symptoms of pre-menstrual syndrome that include nausea, vomiting, cramps, bloating and breast tenderness. Daily intake of Licorice in form of herbal tea is very good for women to aid with various problems associated with genital organs.
- Anti-viral and anti-microbial nature of this herb makes it potent to fight against the various infections caused by micro-organisms.
- Amorfrutin is very effective substance present in this herb that helps to reduce the high sugar level in blood and it is very effective remedy for diabetic people.
- Regular use of this herb is also good for skin and eye health. It helps to clear skin complexion and prevent skin and eyes from dark pigmentation.
- It also aid with irritation of skull, dandruff and other skull irritants. It helps to promote the health and growth of hair.
- It work on all three dosha, it pacify Vata and Pitta dosha. It helps to bring out aggravated Kapha dosha in body and it is very good remedy for asthma, cough and inflammation of throat and lungs.
Dr. Meenakshi Chauhan
MD (ALT. MEDICINE) View Profile