Ayurvedic Treatment for Acid Reflux
Acid Reflux is a condition which can affect an individual at any age if left untreated it can create serious complications. It is a disease that aggravates the symptoms of Acid reflux. So, it is important to take care of your diet and lifestyle if you want to get relieved from this condition. Ayurveda provides treatment of acid reflux with herbs, herbal formulations by providing appropriate guidelines for a good lifestyle and diet plan regarding this issue. Planet Ayurveda provides the best Ayurvedic treatment for acid reflux.
What is Acid reflux?
Acid reflux is an ailment that causes burning pain in the lower chest region. This burning pain is known as heartburn. It occurs acid flows back from when stomach into the esophagus. When acid reflux happens more than two week it is diagnosed as gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD).
What is the Ayurvedic aspect for Acid reflux?
According to Ayurveda, acid reflux occurs due to the aggravation of Pitta and Vata dosha of the body. Increased Pitta causes a burning sensation and increased Vata causes acid to move upward direction through the esophagus.
What are the causes of Acid reflux?
Acid reflux occurs when stomach acid flows upward into the esophagus and causes heartburn. This condition occurs when the abdomen and the upper part of the LES move above the diaphragm. The diaphragm is a muscle that separates stomach from the chest and holds acid in the stomach. But due to the abnormality, the acid can move upward in the esophagus, it causes acid reflux symptoms. Overall hiatal hernia is considered as a main possible cause of acid reflux.
What are the risk factors of Acid Reflux?
It affects people of all ages, sometimes for unexplained reasons. Often, acid reflux is due to a lifestyle factor such as
- Eating snacks during bedtime
- Lack or low level of physical activity
- Some medications such as calcium-channel blockers, painkillers, antihistamines, and sedatives, and also medicines for asthma.
- Drinking some beverages, such as alcohol, coffee, tea, carbonated drinks, etc.
What are the symptoms of Acid reflux?
The symptoms which commonly occurs during acid reflux include:
Other symptoms of acid reflux are the following:
- Gas bloating
- Bloody or black colored stools
- Bloody vomiting
- Burping and Hiccups
- Dysphagia i.e. difficulty in swallowing
- Unexpected weight loss
- Wheezing (The sound of a high-pitched whistle while breathing)
- Dry cough
- Hoarseness or chronic sore throat
What are the complications associated with Acid reflux?
As we discuss if acid reflux persists for more than two weeks it can be named GERD and further complications of GERD are esophagitis, Barrett's esophagus, cancer of the esophagus, and heart disease.
How to diagnose the Acid reflux?
The occurrence of heartburn-like symptoms is the key to the diagnosis of acid reflux. Doctors may recommend tests to confirm the diagnosis of acid reflux and to evaluate the occurrence of other problems.
- Barium swallow (esophagram)
- Esophageal manometry
- Biopsy to examine the infection or abnormalities.
What is the Ayurvedic treatment for Acid reflux?
Ayurveda recommends avoiding foods that exacerbate the symptoms of acid reflux, especially foods that aggravate Pitta. It also provides herbs and herbal remedies that improve digestion and help treat acid reflux.
Herbs for Acid reflux
- Amla (Emblica officinalis): This herb balances the acidic pH level of the stomach and acts as rejuvenative.
- Sounf (Foeniculum vulgare): It acts as an appetizer and digestive, thus improve appetite and digestion.
- Chitraka (Plumbago zeylanica): It removes accumulated toxins from the body.
- Giloy (Tinospora cordifolia): It balances the secretion of digestive juices and improves metabolism.
- Pippali (Piper longum): It acts as an appetizer and catalyst.
Herbal Remedies for Acid reflux
Planet Ayurveda offers effective herbal remedies containing pure extracts of herbs and has no external additives. These remedies can be used safely for acid reflux and have no side effects. These herbal remedies are, Heartburn Capsules, Mahashankh Vati, Digestion Support Capsule, and Amalaki Rasayan Capsules.
1. HEARTBURN CAPSULES
It is the wonderful herbal formulation for heartburn as its name indicates Heartburn Capsules and also helps in healthy digestion.
- Agate calcium (Akik Pishti)
- Coral calcium (Praval pishti)
- Pearl calcium (Mukta pishti)
- Ayurvedic calcium compound (Jahar mohra pishti and Kamkdudha ras)
- Giloy (Tinopsora corifolia)
Benefits: These herbal capsules help to help to balance the increased pitta in the human body and provide a cooling effect by neutralizing the excess of acid. It acts as a rejuvenator, blood purifier and also has anti-inflammatory and antipyretic action.
Dosage: 1 capsule twice a day with plain water after meals.
2. MAHASHANKH VATI
Mahashankh Vati is an effective herbal product prepared by combining amazing herbs.
- Chitraka (Plumbago zeylanica)
- Danti (Baliospermum montanum)
- Pippali (Piper longum)
- Yavkshar (Potassium Carbonate)
- Sarjakshar (Sodium Carbonate)
- Shuddh Parad (Purified Mercury)
- Shuddh Tankan (Calcined Borax)
Benefits: These herbs possess digestive, appetizer, and analgesic properties. These tablets help to relieve the symptoms of acid reflux like poor appetite, gastritis, abdominal pains, nausea and difficulty in swallowing. Mahashankh vati treats other digestion-related diseases and promotes a healthy metabolism.
Dosage: 1-2 tablets two or three times a day with lukewarm water.
3. DIGESTION SUPPORT
These capsules consist of a combination of beneficial herbs that promotes the healthy digestive system.
- Haritaki (Terminalia chebula)
- Amalaki (Emblica officinalis)
- Bahera (Terminalia bellerica)
- Pippali (Piper longum)
- Dhania (Coriander sativum)
- Jeerak (Cymium cumium)
- Sounf (Foeniculum vulgare)
Benefits: These herbs help to keep the natural pH of the stomach and reduce the symptoms associated with acid reflux. It eliminates the excess of accumulated Kapha from the body, thus improve the appetite. These capsules also support the metabolic process in the body and the healthy functioning of the immune system. The digestion Support capsule balances the tridosha in the body and also acts as a rejuvenator.
Dosage: 1-2 Capsules twice daily with plain water after meals.
4. AMALAKI RASAYAN
Ingredients: These capsules are prepared by adding a standardized herbal extract of Amalaki (Emblica officianlis).
Benefits: Amalaki Rasayan is one of the richest sources of vitamin c which supports healthy digestion. It possess antioxidants that help to eliminate the toxins from the body. It also protects the body from harmful chemicals and keeps the digestive system healthy.
Dosage: 1 Capsule twice daily with plain water after meals.
Food should be added
- Vegetables: Potato, broccoli, cabbage, carrots, green beans, peas, cucumber
- Fruits: Fresh apples, watermelons, bananas, pineapples, etc.
- Spices: Basil leaves, mint, licorice, aloe juice, asparagus, etc.
- Others: Drink at least 10 glasses of water, herbal tea without caffeine, low-fat milk, oatmeal, etc.
Food should be avoided
- All non-veg should be avoided.
- Vegetables: Onion, Garlic
- Fruits: Citrus Fruits (in excess), orange, lemon
- Spices: Chilies, Ajwain seeds (in excess)
You can manage the symptoms of acid reflux by changing your lifestyle also.
- Maintain a healthy weight.
- Do not go to bed with a full stomach. Do not eat for 3 to 4 hours before going to bed.
- To reduce the symptoms of reflux at bedtime, raise the head of your bed four to six inches.
- Do not overeat. Eat small portions at meals, or try to eat four to five small meals instead of three large ones.
- Avoid alcohol and smoking
- Eat slowly and take time to chew every bite of food.
- Stay straight for at least two hours after eating.
- Avoid wearing tight clothes.
Complete information has concluded that you should choose a proper diet and lifestyle along with herbal remedies for relief from acid reflux symptoms. Planet Ayurveda offers the best quality herbal remedies along with lifestyle and dietary guidelines.
Question 1: Can acid reflux cause serious problems?
Answer: Yes, if it gets untreated it can result in serious problems.
Question 2: Does acid reflux worsen with age?
Answer: It is common for adults to have occasional heartburn. But, as you get older, it can become more irritable.
Question 3: Does drinking water help in acid reflux?
Answer: Yes, It helps to improve digestion and heartburn/acid reflux.