Agastya Haritaki Rasayana
Reference: Charaka Samhita, Chikitsa Sthana – 17th chapter, Kasa Chikitsa: 57-62
Agastya Haritaki Rasayana is one of the very famous Ayurvedic medicine for respiratory problems. It is very useful in asthma. It is used in the treatment of common cold, allergic rhinitis, sinusitis, hiccups etc.
Ingredients and Method of Preparation
96gm of each of:-
- Bilva – Bael – Aegle marmelos
- Syonaka – Oroxylum indicum
- Gambhari – Gmelina arborea
- Patala – Stereospermum suaveolens
- Ganikarika - Clerodendrum phlomidis
- Shala-Parni – Desmodium gangeticum
- Prsni-Parni – Uraria picta
- Brhati – Solanum indicum
- Kantakari – Solanum xanthocarpum
- Goksura – Tribulus terrestris
- Shankha-Puspi – Convolvulus pluricaulis
- Shati – Hedychium spicatum
- Bala – Abution indicum
- Hasti-Pippali – Long pepper fruit – Piper longum
- Apamarga – Achyranthes aspera
- Chitraka – Plumbago zeylanica
- Bharngi – Clerodandrum serratum
- Puskara Moola – Inula racemosa
- 3 kg 73 gm of Yava
- 100 fruits of Haritaki – Terminalia chebula
By adding 18.65 kg of water, these ingredients are cooked till the grains of Yava (barley) becomes soft and then the decoction is strained out.
These 100 fruits of Abhaya – Harad – Terminalia chebula are then added with the above mentioned decoction, 12gm of Jaggery.
192gm of each of:-
- Sesame oil
- Powder of Pippali – Long pepper fruit – Piper longum
All the ingredients are cooked, when it becomes cool, 192 gm of honey is added. Agastya Haritaki Rasayana is formed.
For Adults - Dosage is 1 – 2 teaspoons, once or twice in a day, before or after food, along with warm water or honey, or as directed by Ayurvedic doctor.
For children – Dosage is 1 teaspoon once or twice a day, with a cup of lukewarm water, before or after food, as directed by Ayurvedic doctor.
If the child does not like its taste, half a teaspoon of honey can be added to this, before administration.
- Common cold
- Allergic rhinitis
- Loss of desire to eat
- Irritable bowel syndrome
- Malabsorption syndrome
- Premature Graying of Hair
- Intermittent Fever
- Frequent Urination
- There are no known side effects with this medicine.
- However, a very high dosage may result in the loose stools.