Agnimantha Svarasa (Juice) - Ingredients, Indications, Benefits and Uses
Agnimantha is an important ingredient of Dashmoola Gana that too particularly categorized into Brihat Panchamoola. This plant has anti-rheumatic, anti-inflammatory and analgesic properties.
- Name of Ingredient: Agnimantha mula tvak
- Botanical name: Clerodendrum phlomidis
- Family: Verbenaceae
- Sanskrit names: Agnimantha, Sripara, Jaya, Vataghni, Nadeeja.
It is a medicinal plant which grows either as a large shrub or a small tree. The word 'Agni' means Fire and 'Mantha' means Churning, in ancient times wood pieces of this tree are rubbed against each other to produce fire so the name Agnimantha.
Categorization - According to Samhita
- Acharya Charaka: Shothahara gana, Sheetprashamana gana, Anuvasanopaya gana.
- Acharya Sushruta: Viratarvadi gana, Vatasamshamna gana, Varunadi gana, Brihat panchamula gana.
- Acharya Vagbhata: Viratarvadi gana, Varunadi gana.
It comes under the Group of 10 drugs, that is, Dashamoola gana along with the other nine drugs.
It contains Clerodin, Clerodendrin, Clerodendrin A, Clerosterol.
Its roots, bark and leaves.
- Guna: Ruksha, Laghu
- Rasa: Tikta, Katu, Kashaya, Madhura
- Vipaka: Katu
- Veerya: Ushna
Method of Preparation
Extract the juice from above mentioned ingredient by pounding followed by squeezing through a clean cloth and utilize it.
Benefits and Uses
- As the name itself suggests, it produces heat and fire, it is one of the best Vata and kapha alleviating medicine.
- It acts as a Vedanasthapana, thus, helps in management of pain because of its Ushna property.
- This can be used in the treatment of common cold.
- This medicine is very useful in treatment of ailments where the involvement of Vata and Kapha dosha is on the higher side.
- It acts as Shotha-hara, that is a potent anti-inflammatory so, Agnimantha swarasa is very beneficial in cases of swelling and inflammation.
- In considering the gastrointestinal diseases, Swarasa helps to increase low digestive strength, reduce bloating and maintain metabolism.
- It helps to relieve constipation by the virtue of its Ushna property, along with the same it helps to get rid of the Ama dosha (Endotoxins) present in the body.
- Attributing to its Ruksha and Ushna properties this helps to reduce fat when taken judiciously.
- It is fruitful in treating common cold, cough and Rhinitis due to its Ushna guna and Katu vipaka hence, acts upon by reducing the kapha.
- It helps to bring down the severity of haemorrhoids by correcting the GI system thus helping to calm down the severity.
- It is very beneficial in boosting the immune system.
- It helps to reduce weight and trigger fat loss by the virtue of its Ushna, Katu and Ruksha guna.
- Due to the presence of favoring properties it is very beneficial in Diabetes patients.
Reference:- Sahasrayogam // Svarasa Yoga Prakaranam (Chapter No. 1) // Agnimantha Swaras
Dose: 20 ml, after meals.
Indications of Agnimantha Svarasa
Sthaulya (Obesity), Agnimandya (Indigestion and reduced capacity of digestion), Vibandha (Constipation), Amadosha (Reduced metabolism), Pandu (Anaemia), Arsha (Haemorrhoids), Adhmana (Abdominal bloating), Shwasa (Common cold), Kasa (Cough), Pratishyaya (Rhinitis).