Reference - Arkaprakasha, Shataka 3:7
Ajmoda arka is an ayurvedic herbal formulation. It is useful to treat vata-kapha doshas related ailments. Imbalance in vata and kapha doshas give rises to the problems related to digestive system.
Ajmoda arka is a liquid preparation which is obtained by hydro distillation of ajmoda fruits.
Ajmoda is also known with common names like ajwain and carum. It grows all over in India. The seeds of ajmoda are enriched with very advantageous properties such as antiemetic, thermo genic, carminative, stimulant, digestive, cardiac-tonic, anti-biotic, anti-spasmodic, anthelmintic, detoxifying, diuretic, anti-gout and anti-rheumatic.
This formulation has great effect on agnimandya. In Ayurveda, agnimandya term refers to impairment in digestive system. Agnimandya is a cause of various diseases such as indigestion and loss of appetite.
Ingredients of Ajmoda Arka
|S. No.||Name||Part Used||Quantity|
|1.||Water for soaking and for preparation of Arka||18.0 litres|
|2.||Ajamoda (Trachyspermum roxburghianum)||Fruit||1.0 kg (Approximate quantity of distillate -15.0 litres)|
Method of Preparation
- Take the raw materials with provided appropriate quantity.
- Take ajamoda fruits. Wash, dry and get powder of the fruits of ajmoda. Then pass it through 44 number sieve to retrieve boorish powder.
- Transfer 100g of ajmoda powder in a round bottom standard joint flask. The flask is of 3.0 liter capacity. Add 2.0 liter water to it.
- Fit the proper distillation system with distillation, receiving heads, receiving flask, double surface condenser and adequate water for condensation of distillate (arka).
- Now place the flask on a heating mantle.
- Adjust the temperature notations as the liquid starts to boil and continue the distillation to collect around 1.5 liter of arka.
- Now keep the formulation in a tight closed container and protect it from light and moisture.
Dosage of Ajmoda Arka
- Take 10 to 15 drops, two times a day or as prescribed by the doctor.
- Don't exceed the recommended dosage.
Digestive and carminative properties of this medicine help to provide the relief in the various problems like nausea, vomiting, stomach discomfort, painful digestion and bloating. It helps to improves the digestion and maintain the good appetite also. This ayurvedic medicine is very effective to manage the urinary bladder disorders. Diuretic action of ajmoda arka helps to extrude the toxins from the body. Antimicrobial action of this helps to prevent the bacterial infections in urinary tract. It also helps to provide the relief from problems associated with the urinary bladder, disorders like painful urination, frequent urination, inflammation of bladder, urinary incontinence and over active bladder etc. Use of this medicine is quite effective to treat the diseases which are due to impairment of Vata and kapha doshas. Ajmoda ark also acts as cardiac tonic. It helps to strengthen the heart muscles and maintain the proper blood flow throughout the body. Anti-inflammatory properties of this medicine help to provide relief in the body pains and also help to maintain the healthy joints.
Urinary bladder disorder such as inflammation of bladder, urinary incontinence and over active bladder etc.
Dyspepsia - impairment in digestion leads to ailments like nausea, vomiting, stomach discomfort, painful digestion and bloating.
Vata and kapha doshas impairment related disorders - these impairments can cause various ailments related to heart, joints, brain, stomach and colon.
- It should be used under prescribed dosage.
- It should not be used in pregnancy.
- Persons with high pitta, should use precautions while taking ajmoda arka as it can enhance the bile and acidity in them.
- Use cautiously in the cases of renal disorders.