Reference - Bhaishajya Ratnavali, Jvaradhikara
Amritarishta belongs to arishta preparations. Ancient texts in regards to arishta were present.
"Na Risahyateya Iti Arishta."
It states that these do not get spoil easily.
Amritarishta is known to be self-generated alcohol having dark brown color. It is a fermented liquid contains alcohol I the range of 5 to 10%. This is also known with the names of Amritarishta and Amrutharishtam. It contains Giloy as a main ingredient herb.
It contain active chemicals like alkaloids, polyphenol and more tends to show anti-diabetic, digestive, anti-oxidant, anti-inflammatory, anti-aging, blood cleanser, respiratory and anti-bacterial properties.
|S. No.||Name||Latin Name||Part Used||Quantity|
|1.||Water for decoction||49.152 liters|
|Ingredient of Sandhana dravya (Fermentative agents)|
|2.||Guda (Jaggery)||14.400 kg|
|Ingredients of Kvatha drvya (herbs for decoction)|
|3.||Guduchi||Tinospora cordifolia||Stem||4.800 kg|
|4.||Gokshura||Tribulus terrestris||Plant||480 g|
|5.||Gambhari||Gmelina arborea||Root||480 g|
|6.||Prishnaparni||Uraria picta||Plant||480 g|
|7.||Shyonaka||Oroxylum indicum||Root||480 g|
|8.||Agnimantha||Premna mucronata||Stem Bark||480 g|
|9.||Kantakari||Solanum surattense||Plant||480 g|
|10.||Brihati||Solanum melongena||Plant||480 g|
|11.||Shalaparni||Desmodium gangeticum||Whole Plant||480 g|
|12.||Bilva||Aegle marmelos||Stem Bark/Root||480 g|
|13.||Patala||Stereospermum suaveolens||Stem Bark||480 g|
|Ingredients of Prakshepa dravyas (Herbal additives for aroma and for accelerating process of fermentation)|
|14.||Maricha||Piper nigrum||Fruit||48 g|
|15.||Nagakeshara||Mesua ferrea||Stamen||48 g|
|16.||Musta||Cyperus rotundus||48 g|
|17.||Shunthi||Zingiber officinale||Rhizome||48 g|
|18.||Pippali||Piper longum||Fruit||48 g|
|19.||Saptacchada||Alstonia scholaris||Stem Bark||48 g|
|20.||Katuki||Picrorrhiza kurroa||Rhizome||48 g|
|21.||Prativisha||Aconitum heterophyllum||Root||48 g|
|22.||Indrayava||Holarrhena antidysenterica||Seed||48 g|
|23.||Parpata||Fumaria parviflora||Plant||96 g|
|24.||Sveta jiraka||Cuminum cyminum||Fruit||768 g|
Method of Preparation
- Took all the raw materials with proper quantity.
- Take the ingredients of Kvatha dravya - Guduchi, Gokshura, Gambhari, Prishniparni, Shyonaka, Patala, Agnimantha, Brihati, Kantakari, Shalaparni and Bilva. Wash, dry, grind the herbs in powder form. Pass through the 44 number sieve to obtain coarse powder.
- Now clean, wash, dry and powder the ingredients of Prakshepa dravya - Nagakeshara, Musta, Marica, Saptacchada, Katuka, Shunthi, Pippali, Prativisha, Indrayava, Parpata, Sveta jiraka and pass through 85 sieve number for powder formation.
- Add water to the kvatha dravya and soak for overnight, heat and reduced up to its one fourth volume and filter through muslin cloth to collect kvatha.
- Now add Guda (Jaggery) to the filtrate kvatha, dissolve properly and then filtrate.
- Transfer to a clean container and add powder Prakshepa to it. Now seal the container mouth.
- Place the container in fermentation room and fermented the mixture.
- Upon completion, filtrate the fermented material through muslin cloth.
- Now pack in air tight container and keep at cool place.
- Adults - 15 to 30 ml
- Children - 5 to 10 ml
- Take this with equal quantity of plain water, should be taken two times a day and after meals.
- All kinds of fevers like viral fevers, fever due to liver diseases, chikengunya and typhoid etc.
- Loss of appetite
- Chronic pruritus
- Liver diseases
- High dose can cause irritation in gastro intestinal tract.
- Avoid in pregnancy.